Boyle confirmed

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Staying on: http://bit.ly/BoyleDeal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Captaincy material for next season?
Rulistening
Absolutely brilliant news. Was VERY concerned when it came out on saturday he was pretty much guaranteed to leave. Easily our best CB and like you mentioned in the article a potential captain for the club, now lets throw some money at winchester!!
kora
YYYYYYEEEEESSSSSS. :D :D :D
Sprout Picker
Good news. Decent defender and chips in with a few useful goals as well.
theidlerich
That's either very clever management style [cliff edge stuff] from GJ, or an intense dislike of agents [shared with most fans I guess] or shrewd psychological tactics. What-ever - excellent news as he's one I rate. Downside is that we sorely missed him last Sat :(
Ralph
theidlerich wrote:That's either very clever management style [cliff edge stuff] from GJ, or an intense dislike of agents [shared with most fans I guess] or shrewd psychological tactics. What-ever - excellent news as he's one I rate. Downside is that we sorely missed him last Sat :(
Clever work by GJ i think.. still annoys me that it cost us 3 pts though
Shade
Ralph wrote:
theidlerich wrote:That's either very clever management style [cliff edge stuff] from GJ, or an intense dislike of agents [shared with most fans I guess] or shrewd psychological tactics. What-ever - excellent news as he's one I rate. Downside is that we sorely missed him last Sat :(
Clever work by GJ i think.. still annoys me that it cost us 3 pts though
I don't know how a missing CB cost us 3 pts when we created one decent chance in the entire game. Can't really blame either of the CB's that played for the goal either, imo.
horlickfanclub
Poor clearance by Rodon and weak challenge as Rovers counterattacked.
Shade
Well, Rodon is on the right side of defence anyway but I seem to remember the ball pinging back from the FGR player inside his own half, Atangana sticking a foot out to stop it but toe-ending it past our player behind him, which set them on their way.
Lord Elpuz
Momentous news. Delighted to get young Master Boyle signed back on.
Robin
Huge praise to GJ for sorting this out, we've had too many soft managers in the past and seems he's taken a strong stance and paid off for us.

As others have said Boyle potentially captain next season depending or not if we sign an experienced centre back to play there with him and Forster.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Great stuff, and, if his agent has brokered a deal for Boyle at Leeds then we’ll get some reasonable cash.
art vandalay
And it's a thumbs up from me as well.
Ihearye
Robin wrote:Huge praise to GJ for sorting this out, we've had too many soft managers in the past and seems he's taken a strong stance and paid off for us.

As others have said Boyle potentially captain next season depending or not if we sign an experienced centre back to play there with him and Forster.
Very glad to have him for next year. Unlike the in crowd, don't know enough about what happened behind the scenes to bring this about. Was hs bluff called, was a better offer put on the table. Don't care just as long as we can ship out our weaker players
Robin
Out of interest who would you say are the weaker players? For me it's Jamie Grimes, Taylor Moore and Danny Wright. I'd like to think all three of these maybe moved on or sent back to his parent club to be released. I'm also expecting Holman, Thomas and Page to be released, word is Odelusi has already been told he won't get a contract.
Ihearye
Would certainly agree with the 3 mentioned. Of those taylor is boarder line, however I think GJ sees him as a utility player and I don't believe that is the case. For me jury also out on Graham, not many chances to shine but has never turned a game when he comes on (hat I have seen). Sellars is an enigma, am sure there is a decent player in there, but am yet to see anything but good foot work. Dawson. Better get back to his early season form my fear is the late season form is the real Dawson.?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Dawson and Nige both decent when fit, but when fit is a question as well as a qualifier. It was bad enough with just Dayton, let alone two of them.
Robin
Sellars is young in my opinion and worth another year to see how he develop. When Nige is fit he is one of our best players in my opinion.
Ihearye
Agree on Nige, if he does make a mistake, 9 times out of 10 he will rectify it, looks as if he wants the ball and is composed when he has it
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:Agree on Nige, if he does make a mistake, 9 times out of 10 he will rectify it, looks as if he wants the ball and is composed when he has it
Can we afford him on the wage bill if he can only make 15-25 games?

Thinking about Leo’s ABC principle of managers who add value to their squad, you can be sure Coleman only wants to pay players who can do 40+ league games a season in normal circumstances.

For every Nige we have we need a loan to cover the games he is unfit for. Poor VfM.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Ihearye wrote:Agree on Nige, if he does make a mistake, 9 times out of 10 he will rectify it, looks as if he wants the ball and is composed when he has it
Can we afford him on the wage bill if he can only make 15-25 games?

Thinking about Leo’s ABC principle of managers who add value to their squad, you can be sure Coleman only wants to pay players who can do 40+ league games a season in normal circumstances.

For every Nige we have we need a loan to cover the games he is unfit for. Poor VfM.
I would say Nige is value for money given he's generally been the best player to watch at home games and usually gets the biggest cheers when he wraps his elastic leg around a player and somehow wins the ball back. To be fair, he has been playing a lot more the last few months so hopefully the injuries are behind him and with a full pre-season he'll be fit for the season.
Robin
I don't think we can bin Dawson or Nige off despite their injury problems, both have the quality to get us challenging next season and we need more players of that ability in the team.
CTFCfan99
Agree with above, both good players and Nige in particular has been fit for a while now so perhaps his injury problems are behind him. We'd also be silly not to keep hold of Sellars imo, needs to improve in some areas but he's still young and there's the makings of a top quality player there.
Jon Palmer
Video interview explaining his decision to stay here: http://bit.ly/BoyleFuture" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;