Premier League clubs chasing Luke Thomas

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Including West Ham: http://bit.ly/HammersKeen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
asl
You sure that's not his IP address...?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:If they don’t offer £1000m then baker MUST GO!

I had a chat with my mate who played fifa ALL the time. He says £198.47.977.77 at least :roll:
Yawn.

People’s excitement and ambition over Eisa has really got to you hasn’t it.
Ihearye
Ben2 wrote:If they don’t offer £1000m then baker MUST GO!

I had a chat with my mate who played fifa ALL the time. He says £198.47.977.77 at least :roll:
Any chance you can hold a symposium somewhere, so we can all gather to hear your wisdom and debate your mate that plays fifa. I am sure we could all learn a lot
Robin
How much did we sell Thomas for was it £150k so we would likely get a percentage of any fee over that amount (potentially six figures for us then).
CS85
I think id get more enjoyment watching him progress into a good first team player than selling him for 150k and wasting it on loan players.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CS85 wrote:I think id get more enjoyment watching him progress into a good first team player than selling him for 150k and wasting it on loan players.
Me too. We have sold too many youngsters before they have a chance to feature in and improve our team, and they all seem to end up on the scrap heap anyway without playing for their new side.

Would have been better for all for Thomas to stay and play in our side before he left for Derby. If he is that good he may have helped us get closer to promotion.

Still, if he scores the winner vs Cardiff next Tuesday I am sure Fulham will give him a contract for life.
horlickfanclub
Without the Thomas money and Trust donation we might be in Conference South by now.
Robin
Why would we be in Conference south exactly?
Fuller
This is the sort of deal we can hopefully do - what a difference that would make to us as a club.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43804785" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Exeter not happy though !

A potential £4 million for two transfers would come in handy for any Division 2 club surely ?
Robin
The reality is thought it's £1.3million it only goes higher if he makes what I assume is a fair amount of appearances or is sold on.
Artemis
Robin wrote:Why would we be in Conference south exactly?
I expect the Trust and Luke Thomas cash went a long way to funding the promotion winning squad. Without it, I agree there is a greater chance that we would still in the National League or National League South (or even worse, North) than with it.

Whether we like it or not, we are a selling club that cannot afford to carry players who are not up to the grade, nor can we afford to give them very long to prove or develop. This is a results and money driven business. Witness the vitriol on here because we had the audacity to lose to FGR - and at home, at that.
If a player has cash value, we have to maximise it, and if anyone offers more than half a million, plus various add-ons, I expect Eisa to move on this summer That half a million goes a long way to an emergency fund should we need it in either direction one January or June - just like the Trust and Thomas cash did.
At the other end of the spectrum, if a player isn't obviously good enough after scholarship or a year or two as a professional, then its bye bye. We need squad space for the next potential Luke Thomas. Some we'll get right, some wrong. That's life.
CTFCfan99
We were already well on our way to winning the NL before we sold Thomas though. Our only major January signings (that I can recall) were Holman and Cranston, and Holman was already signed before we sold Thomas.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote:This is the sort of deal we can hopefully do - what a difference that would make to us as a club.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43804785" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Exeter not happy though !

A potential £4 million for two transfers would come in handy for any Division 2 club surely ?
Refer to Ben2.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:
Robin wrote:Why would we be in Conference south exactly?
I expect the Trust and Luke Thomas cash went a long way to funding the promotion winning squad. Without it, I agree there is a greater chance that we would still in the National League or National League South (or even worse, North) than with it.

Whether we like it or not, we are a selling club that cannot afford to carry players who are not up to the grade, nor can we afford to give them very long to prove or develop. This is a results and money driven business. Witness the vitriol on here because we had the audacity to lose to FGR - and at home, at that.
If a player has cash value, we have to maximise it, and if anyone offers more than half a million, plus various add-ons, I expect Eisa to move on this summer That half a million goes a long way to an emergency fund should we need it in either direction one January or June - just like the Trust and Thomas cash did.
At the other end of the spectrum, if a player isn't obviously good enough after scholarship or a year or two as a professional, then its bye bye. We need squad space for the next potential Luke Thomas. Some we'll get right, some wrong. That's life.
Certainly the case we bust the budget, overspent risking promotion or bust to get back up. None of us will really know where the money came from but Baker made it clear if we didn’t come straight back up it was part-time football (at best) the following season.

Definitely a gamble one wouldn’t want to play again (like having a second go at Russian Roulette after getting a blank first time) which is why the Board are keen to retain Gary; no chance we will go down with him at the helm.

(But to clarify, no vitriol was spewed because we lost to FGR. It was the approach to that game and most of the home games and worse home form last season which caused the anger.)