Long feature on Accrington Stanley

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Bit of a puff piece but a good and useful read all the same, with some interesting examples of how they punch above their weight.

Interesting they had turnover of £2.2m last year; how does that compare to us?

Nice to read about Kee overcoming illness before thriving.

And £1 pints after games sounds good!

Article here: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... cket-tours" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
horlickfanclub
Who are they?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Is our turnover much over £2.2m?

If not, then given how much bigger our gates are it shows how far behind the game we are in terms of non-ticket revenue.
Johnsons Red Army
horlickfanclub wrote:Who are they?
Exactly!
leohoenig
Our turnover was only a fraction under £3 million in the year to May 2017

I put down their success to the ABC factor (some of my friends say it should be ABC&T)
This is that there are only three or four managers at League-2 level that bring added value to their line up over average coaching, scouting and planning. ABC (&T) refers to the first letter of the managers surnames.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
leohoenig wrote:Our turnover was only a fraction under £3 million in the year to May 2017

I put down their success to the ABC factor (some of my friends say it should be ABC&T)
This is that there are only three or four managers at League-2 level that bring added value to their line up over average coaching, scouting and planning. ABC (&T) refers to the first letter of the managers surnames.
Fair enough. Looking at average attendance (3087 vs 1852) we get 28405 more over the course of 23 home games. At £15 average ticket that is £426,075 more ticket money for CTFC.

Ainsworth, Bentley, Coleman + Tisdale?
leohoenig
No rocket science needed there, RCS - those are the names I had in mind
Ihearye
Johnsons Red Army wrote:
Exactly!
Laughable response
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
Johnsons Red Army wrote:
Exactly!
Laughable response
Not to mention unimaginative given the well known scene was even referenced in the article. Repeating the same joke twice in a thread is lazy.
Johnsons Red Army
The article you linked about the cricket?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Johnsons Red Army wrote:The article you linked about the cricket?
Gordon Bennett!!

Stupid me.

Here is the correct article:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... league-one" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mods: any chance of updating the OP with the correct article link: https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... league-one" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bigdavejambo
Accrington v Sunderland will be a league fixture next season
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
bigdavejambo wrote:Accrington v Sunderland will be a league fixture next season
Reality of how Sunderland have fallen will hit home when their fans head down to Accrington.
Shade
:lol: imagine the faces of some of the Sunderland players when they walk into the Crown Ground/Wham Stadium away dressing room for a league fixture.
Robin
Now that Accrington won't be here does that make the New Lawn the worst ground in the division? Cambridge is probably the other dive although the town itself is very nice.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Now that Accrington won't be here does that make the New Lawn the worst ground in the division? Cambridge is probably the other dive although the town itself is very nice.
Crawley? And depends who comes up.
Shade
What is Moss Rose like? When I've seen pictures/video of it it's always looked slightly ramshackle, but characterful.
Robin
Moss Rose is another c!#p one, fair sized large open terrace behind the goal for away fans, very small home terrace with roof behind the other (a little like FGR) and a small seated stand built fairly recently. Overall it's probably worse than FGR but both grounds are like a library for atmosphere.

Crawley isn't the best ground but again better than FGR/Macclesfield. All four sides a Crawley are covered with one temporary stand running the length of the pitch and two copy cat terraces behind each goal.

In my opinion there is very little to like with any of the above grounds, all small, few pubs nearby and no real atmosphere. The best in league two is Coventry by a long shot, Wycombe is a tidy lower league ground and Port Vale has plenty of character and atmosphere despite it's size. On the other end Morecambe's ground is good despite their crowds they have an atmosphere, decent views of the pitch, good catering, pubs nearby etc.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Maccs new stand built in 2001 looks much like the Colin Farmer but with hospitality.
Robin
It's tiny, isn't the capacity only 1000 seats? Definitely one of the worst grounds/away days in league two despite not being too far in my opinion.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:It's tiny, isn't the capacity only 1000 seats? Definitely one of the worst grounds/away days in league two despite not being too far in my opinion.
1,550 according to their official club website.

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Moss Rose stand behind the goal is interesting. Around 490 seats with around 835 capacity terrace behind:

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Just heard on Final Score that Accrington have only made one substitution in the last nine games, with only 12 players featuring during that time.
longmover
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Just heard on Final Score that Accrington have only made one substitution in the last nine games, with only 12 players featuring during that time.
It really isn't that hard is it
vickeryc
longmover wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Just heard on Final Score that Accrington have only made one substitution in the last nine games, with only 12 players featuring during that time.
It really isn't that hard is it
Not when you're winning! There is a very fine line between success and failure. The critical determining factor so often boils down to confidence and belief, which is borne out of winning games (however it is achieved). Winning, like losing, can be contagious because the confidence of most players can swing on a single result.
vickeryc
Robin wrote:Now that Accrington won't be here does that make the New Lawn the worst ground in the division? Cambridge is probably the other dive although the town itself is very nice.
Surely Newport is worse! Exeter not great either, although improvements are under way. Grimsby also a dive.