Away fans today against GJ...

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
What was it?
Ihearye
Shade wrote:I'm more than prepared to stick with GJ for at least another season. The third season in League Two is the equivalent of the third day at a golf tournament: moving day/season.
You would need to have a good weekend to pick up 49 shots :)
nitram82
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:What was it?
Watch this for a demonstration from my daughter.

https://youtu.be/wuHIZIZ0zrk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Heh catchy song.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Heh catchy song.
Errr not
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Our lodger is Yeovil and thinks those at CTFC who want GJ out are insane. He would have him back at Yeo in a shot.

A lot of his strengths are behind the scenes. Tying down Mo early and making it clear he ain’t going to a rival such a contrast from the Wes Thomas farce for example. Dealing with Boyle how he has. Plus the connections and off the record chats with other clubs etc. Just stuff you don’t get with less experienced managers.
Del Boy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Our lodger is Yeovil and thinks those at CTFC who want GJ out are insane. He would have him back at Yeo in a shot.

A lot of his strengths are behind the scenes. Tying down Mo early and making it clear he ain’t going to a rival such a contrast from the Wes Thomas farce for example. Dealing with Boyle how he has. Plus the connections and off the record chats with other clubs etc. Just stuff you don’t get with less experienced managers.
This is the difference between Johnson and other managers we've had since we got into the league - people are mesmerised with what he did at other clubs.
I couldn't care less what someone from Yeovil thinks, to be honest.

It doesn't really matter what he does behind the scenes if the results and performances are c!#p. And they are.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Our lodger is Yeovil and thinks those at CTFC who want GJ out are insane. He would have him back at Yeo in a shot.

This is the difference between Johnson and other managers we've had since we got into the league - people are mesmerised with what he did at other clubs.

It doesn't really matter what he does behind the scenes if the results and performances are c!#p. And they are.
Be even worse if Mo wasn’t found, or wasn’t tied down and was let go for cheap in January.

Really think we’d have second top goal scorer in the league making headlines contracted for two years if we didn’t have GJ?
horlickfanclub
Who can say? He has also signed some average players. As he would say "That is football".
Del Boy
I've no idea and nor does anyone else I would imagine. If I had a guess I'd say the board learned their lesson from what happened with Wes Thomas.
Ihearye
A guide dog could have seen Mo needed to be extended asap
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:A guide dog could have seen Mo needed to be extended asap
One thing seeing it. Another convincing the player and board to do it, and to work the wires to make sure other L2 and L1 clubs knew not to come sniffing.
vickeryc
Del Boy wrote:

With respect, I disagree. Given the limited funds made available to him, GJ has assembled the nucleus of a very good squad, which I am sure will be augmented in the summer. We all know there are weaknesses - inevitable when working on a shoestring - and these were exposed further by some unfortunate long-term injuries, notably to Forster.
Ihearye
I don't know how short a shoestring this shoestring is? Robin advises we are about mid table in the money stakes. If that is the case, then no miracle is being performed. The miracle is being done by those on an even shorter shoestring who finish higher (?). Long term injuries, I buy the Forster, but not the Cranston one, we should have had cover in place and indeed Illias is a much better option, but probably too good for us.

Not sure what insight RCS has into the wheeling and dealings in the club, but he does seem to assume that Mo had other offers so early on in his league career(?) Thus we pulled off a master stroke in signing him on for a longer period after only a few matches. On the other hand, he may have been only too happy to have been offfered an extension, thus no master stroke required. If he pulls of Winchester staying here for less money than he is being offered elsewhere, coupled with a pay freeze for a couple of years - then that will be an achievement
Robin
Both Paul Baker and Paul Godfrey have said out budget is in the middle group for this league. Sadly there are a small group of clubs who spend far more than the others namely Luton, Mansfield and Swindon.
vickeryc
Ihearye wrote:I don't know how short a shoestring this shoestring is? Robin advises we are about mid table in the money stakes. If that is the case, then no miracle is being performed. The miracle is being done by those on an even shorter shoestring who finish higher (?). Long term injuries, I buy the Forster, but not the Cranston one, we should have had cover in place and indeed Illias is a much better option, but probably too good for us
Nor do I, but the amount of money (not) spent on transfer fees provides a pretty obvious clue!
Del Boy
vickeryc wrote:
Ihearye wrote:I don't know how short a shoestring this shoestring is? Robin advises we are about mid table in the money stakes. If that is the case, then no miracle is being performed. The miracle is being done by those on an even shorter shoestring who finish higher (?). Long term injuries, I buy the Forster, but not the Cranston one, we should have had cover in place and indeed Illias is a much better option, but probably too good for us
Nor do I, but the amount of money (not) spent on transfer fees provides a pretty obvious clue!
How many clubs at our level pay significant transfer fees?? I've no idea but I doubt it's many with so many players swilling around looking for a job every summer.

I find the clamour to make excuses for Johnson's poor performance over two seasons quite baffling.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:
vickeryc wrote:
How many clubs at our level pay significant transfer fees?? I've no idea but I doubt it's many with so many players swilling around looking for a job every summer.

I find the clamour to make excuses for Johnson's poor performance over two seasons quite baffling.
I am not clamouring to make excuses. I have already decided not to renew my ST due to boring and poor home games, and have made the case for new blood like Garrard to be given a go. However I am a pragmatist and can understand the arguments from both sides and thus will always seek to provide a counter to whichever side (Gary In or Out) appears to be getting the most worked up / shouting loudest.
vickeryc
Del Boy wrote:
vickeryc wrote:

So who do you suggest would do a better job for us who is both affordable and available? Just out of interest.
Del Boy
vickeryc wrote: So who do you suggest would do a better job for us who is both affordable and available? Just out of interest.
You must have a pretty low opinion of the club if you think this is the best we could hope for. Personally, I'd have Mark Yates back in an instant having seen what he's done to Solihull and with a proven record of getting the club into the play-offs. It won't happen but he will get another job in the league soon.
I wouldn't be against Grant McCann. Peterborough obviously thought he was good enough to be their manager in a higher division and he was hardly a failure.
I'm sure there's others but perhaps the last two seasons is the best we can hope for. Expect the crowds to be down to a couple of dozen if we all accept that.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:
vickeryc wrote: So who do you suggest would do a better job for us who is both affordable and available? Just out of interest.
You must have a pretty low opinion of the club if you think this is the best we could hope for. Personally, I'd have Mark Yates back in an instant having seen what he's done to Solihull and with a proven record of getting the club into the play-offs. It won't happen but he will get another job in the league soon.
I wouldn't be against Grant McCann. Peterborough obviously thought he was good enough to be their manager in a higher division and he was hardly a failure.
I'm sure there's others but perhaps the last two seasons is the best we can hope for. Expect the crowds to be down to a couple of dozen if we all accept that.
I thought we were not meant to care about or base decisions on what managers have done at clubs in the past?
Del Boy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Del Boy wrote:
I thought we were not meant to care about or base decisions on what managers have done at clubs in the past?
Oh god not you again. I'm well aware you're trying provoke a reaction as I said I don't care what Johnson had done at other clubs. It might surprise you to hear that after two seasons of failure at this club in division two I feel that's enough evidence to suggest a third season will follow.

Now got to go busy few days ahead. I'll read your reply when I get a chance at the weekend - try to stay out of the bathroom.
Shade
Failure? We got relegated back to the National League?
vickeryc
Del seems to have forgotten that GJ rescued CTFC by rebuilding the team from scratch and getting the club promoted back into the FL at the first attempt with 101 points. The two subsequent seasons - while not setting the world on fire - have consolidated the club's position without blowing anything significant on transfers. Along the way, GJ has unearthed a potential goldmine in Mo Eisa. We now have the nucleus of a squad good enough to launch a challenge for play-offs next season. That's not failure. While I greatly applaud MY's achievements at Solihull this season, they don't match those of GJ in 2015/16.

I know we're not supposed to dwell on managers' past achievements elsewhere, but it really shouldn't be ignored that GJ not only took Yeovil out of the Conference with a record points tally, but he miraculously steered them to the Championship as well.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
“Oh god not you again”. It is a public forum mate. You nasty pr1ck.
kora
Mr negativity getting to you RCS. I don't normally condone name calling but in Del's case it seems acceptable. :) :)
Mike1953
I am a strong supporter of Gary Johnson for a number of reasons:
- he has recruited some excellent players including but not exclusively, Mo, Ilias, Nigel.......
- he quickly bounced us back into league 2
- he has given players a fair chance to prove themselves at the higher level.
- he is a good communicator and is a likeable character.
For balance, I was disappointed that he did not save us from relegation. Only 4 points, 4 points were needed and there was enough talent in the team he inherited to prevent demotion.
It has been a disappointment that he has seemingly 'let go' good players like Billy Waters.
Finally, in game management, I would like him to protect a lead or draw situation rather than gamble on scoring another.
However, he is a very good manager and I amongst many, hope he stays and helps the club prosper.
Shade
Mike1953 wrote: For balance, I was disappointed that he did not save us from relegation. Only 4 points, 4 points were needed and there was enough talent in the team he inherited to prevent demotion.
It has been a disappointment that he has seemingly 'let go' good players like Billy Waters.
Only things I would say are:
- I don't think that team had anywhere near "enough talent" in it, otherwise we wouldn't have needed 4 points from that last 4 games. It was full of wasters, hence I think Troy Brown being the only one that is still playing at this level.
- GJ has made it very clear that he wanted to, and tried to, keep Billy but he had a better offer from a club higher in the pyramid. He also basically said before last weekends game that he thinks Billy should have stayed. Personally, I have no hard feelings about Billy going and us getting a bit of compo for him as I didn't think he was good enough. As it turns out, his replacement has done far more than score 1 in 4 chances when the ball has fallen to him in the box and chase around a lot.
everyman
Mike1953 wrote:I am a strong supporter of Gary Johnson for a number of reasons:
- he has recruited some excellent players including but not exclusively, Mo, Ilias, Nigel.......
- he quickly bounced us back into league 2
- he has given players a fair chance to prove themselves at the higher level.
- he is a good communicator and is a likeable character.
For balance, I was disappointed that he did not save us from relegation. Only 4 points, 4 points were needed and there was enough talent in the team he inherited to prevent demotion.
Finally, in game management, I would like him to protect a lead or draw situation rather than gamble on scoring another.
However, he is a very good manager and I amongst many, hope he stays and helps the club prosper.
He has signed about 83 players since 2015-16 season is that good recruitment,considering how many have been discarded ?
Ihearye
Now I know I must be watching a different team on a Saturday afternoon
Won't defend a lead? From what I have seen, for the majority of games, once we get a lead it is impossible to get them to cross the half way line!
We were told or at least believed last summer that we had the nucleus of a good team that only needed a few additions. That didn't come to pass.
I belive the number r of poor recruitment decisions outweighs the good or even acceptable
If the man management of the winchester contract shows the fight to keep a player, glad I don't have him fighting for my pay rise
He is an affable chap but not sure what that has to do with anything. Our light weight mid field and poor defence is what I gauge the recruitment on. Just imagine where we would be if Mo had not far exceeded what GJ thought he was capable of!
Don't get me wrong, so glad we have him, but I don't for one minute think we 'found' him. Would be pretty sure many others were aware. We took the gamble