Pell wanted

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
At the very least there needs to be a big improvement next season otherwise GJ will lose the supporter base. Is promotion realistic next season? Maybe or maybe not but it needs to be the aim. I am not interested in struggle at the bottom of this league.
Rulistening
horlickfanclub wrote:If we sell Harry do we charge a £ 5 admin fee?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ihearye
Robin wrote:At the very least there needs to be a big improvement next season otherwise GJ will lose the supporter base. Is promotion realistic next season? Maybe or maybe not but it needs to be the aim. I am not interested in struggle at the bottom of this league.
Are we in a better place this season end re our hopes for next year, than we were last May. Personally I don't feel that confident. We definitely need to hold on to Mo. Finding another 22 goals would be a miracle. Even if we had the money to spend, when would we have it and who could we lure here that would give us the same goal return. Have more or less accepted Winchester will not be here. Hope that's wrong. Of last summers intake. Only Mo has really been a stand out. Some started well and have faded, others never started at all. So it is going to have to be one he'll of a summer, as promotion won't wait for January Tunless we are wel in touch)
Robin
I'd like to think we are, we certainly have a lot more players under contract as a starting point.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
“If we hang on to Mo”.

Why all this despondent gloom? Mo is happy here, the Club are under no pressure to sell, and Gary has made it clear very few clubs in the two leagues above can afford to take the risk to pay what he is worth to us right now.

I don’t see any reason why we can’t be confident and excited about seeing Mo lining up rating to go for CTFC next season.
Ihearye
*sigh with one breath you agree there is a possibility that someone could come in for Mo, GJ agrees there is a possibility someone may come in for Mo. Irrespective of the amount paid, his performance makes him a probable target. How that is doom I don't know.

We could go down the road that it is 100% certain we have more for next season, are you happier with that ?

I could give you currently 22 reasons why there is no reason we can be complacent. Planning for eventualities is not gloom, it is proper management.
vickeryc
Ihearye wrote:*sigh with one breath you agree there is a possibility that someone could come in for Mo, GJ agrees there is a possibility someone may come in for Mo. Irrespective of the amount paid, his performance makes him a probable target. How that is doom I don't know.

We could go down the road that it is 100% certain we have more for next season, are you happier with that ?

I could give you currently 22 reasons why there is no reason we can be complacent. Planning for eventualities is not gloom, it is proper management.
Not sure I understood all of that or your previous post. You say you're not talking doom, but I didn't see much that was anything else to be honest!
Ihearye
Well them let me explain
Robin asked is promotion realistic
I pointed out that
. The previous summer we thought play offs were realistic
. That if promotion was to be realistic we need to vastly improve our summer recruitment
. That the only real summer sucess has been Mo
. That we need to hold on to him if we can as replacing his goals would be hard
. So if doom and gloom is saying promotion will be very difficult, guess you are right
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
“If we can”...Lol.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:“If we can”...Lol.
Not an issue, you can't countenance any situation where Mo would leave this summer, on the other hand I think there does exist that possibility
Robin
I would argue that Flinders and Atangana were also very successful summer signings. Dawson has also done well albeit in bursts.
vickeryc
Ihearye wrote:Well them let me explain
Robin asked is promotion realistic
I pointed out that
. The previous summer we thought play offs were realistic
. That if promotion was to be realistic we need to vastly improve our summer recruitment
. That the only real summer sucess has been Mo
. That we need to hold on to him if we can as replacing his goals would be hard
. So if doom and gloom is saying promotion will be very difficult, guess you are right
Thanks for explaining. There's definitely a cup half empty tenor though - you're resigned to Winchester leaving, etc.
asl
Personally, I'll be shocked if Eisa is still our player come September.
Ihearye
Well it's bloody odd that our captain, with two matches of his current contract left has yet to sign a contract which we are led to believe was on the table some time ago. I merely judge by the facts in front of me. Also Robin who does seem to have more insight than most. Tells that no extra money has been offered yet others have come calling with just that. Like most times after a job interview, the longer it goes on without hearing anything, no news is seldom good news. Imho
Ihearye
Robin wrote:I would argue that Flinders and Atangana were also very successful summer signings. Dawson has also done well albeit in bursts.
Flinders wasn't a summer signing as such. He was brought in once the season was underway. I just believe we need to have a team in place day 1 if we are to push for promotion.
Dawson was a hit but as you say has faded.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:“If we can”...Lol.
Not an issue, you can't countenance any situation where Mo would leave this summer, on the other hand I think there does exist that possibility
Of course their is a chance but we are in the driving seat. Given he is happy, on a two year deal and we don’t want to sell the question is not “can we hold on to him” but “can others pride him away”.

It will take something special from another club to change the status quo.
Ihearye
Two sides of the same coin RCS. Toss it up and we don't know which way it will land
Robin
Eisa is very unlikely to be here, we will receive offers this summer the only question is whether our board hold their ground and don't budge if the offers are on the low side (which is likely at the start). This is one area I fully trust GJ on more than any previous managers.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Eisa is very unlikely to be here, we will receive offers this summer the only question is whether our board hold their ground and don't budge if the offers are on the low side (which is likely at the start). This is one area I fully trust GJ on more than any previous managers.
“Very unlikely”?? How unambitious. He doesn’t want to go and we don’t want to sell. Clubs can offer all they want, we just delete emails or hang up the phone.
Shade
On the bright side, if Eisa is sold you'd like to think GJ could bring in 2 or 3 real L2 quality players.

Also, we should have the team fully in place by day 1 for next season due to the transfer window closing at the start of the season. I know there will still be some free agents floating around but nobody wants to be hanging around.
Robin
We need to be on the front foot signing at least 3-4 players in May, more if Mo goes early.
Ihearye
If we ‘accept’ that a good money offer would see Mo on his way (despite RCS assurances). What level of money would you be spending to get players that would really make a difference? Personally don’t know. FGR, splashed the cash in January and from what I saw the other week, am unsure if it has built a play of chasing team. It’s not as if we could attract a £1m player or anywhere near that. Am genuinely wondering what opportunities, something in the region of a £750k kitty open up to us. Or are we in a position of there being a max (say £100k), that a league 2 player is worth if being transferred between L2 teams or non league. And being so, limits the size of the pool we can fish in? Like, if some are saying HP is worth £200k, it really does make me wonder what or who we could get. Not doom and gloom, genuinely don’t know if there is a point that it doesn’t matter how much you have to spend, you only get a certain level of player.
Robin
I suspect the Mo fee would be split over a number of seasons and would see us realistically able to sign players like Ilias or Morrell permanently for reasonable fees, we could probably bid for someone like Kristian Dennis or John Akinkde as examples but I doubt we would pay a fee much above £100k as most of the money will be sucked up by higher wages.
vickeryc
Ihearye wrote:If we ‘accept’ that a good money offer would see Mo on his way (despite RCS assurances). What level of money would you be spending to get players that would really make a difference? Personally don’t know. FGR, splashed the cash in January and from what I saw the other week, am unsure if it has built a play of chasing team. It’s not as if we could attract a £1m player or anywhere near that. Am genuinely wondering what opportunities, something in the region of a £750k kitty open up to us. Or are we in a position of there being a max (say £100k), that a league 2 player is worth if being transferred between L2 teams or non league. And being so, limits the size of the pool we can fish in? Like, if some are saying HP is worth £200k, it really does make me wonder what or who we could get. Not doom and gloom, genuinely don’t know if there is a point that it doesn’t matter how much you have to spend, you only get a certain level of player.
Maybe not doom and gloom (though that is arguable) but definitely cup half empty!
Ihearye
vickeryc wrote:
Ihearye wrote:If we ‘accept’ that a good money offer would see Mo on his way (despite RCS assurances). What level of money would you be spending to get players that would really make a difference? Personally don’t know. FGR, splashed the cash in January and from what I saw the other week, am unsure if it has built a play of chasing team. It’s not as if we could attract a £1m player or anywhere near that. Am genuinely wondering what opportunities, something in the region of a £750k kitty open up to us. Or are we in a position of there being a max (say £100k), that a league 2 player is worth if being transferred between L2 teams or non league. And being so, limits the size of the pool we can fish in? Like, if some are saying HP is worth £200k, it really does make me wonder what or who we could get. Not doom and gloom, genuinely don’t know if there is a point that it doesn’t matter how much you have to spend, you only get a certain level of player.
Maybe not doom and gloom (though that is arguable) but definitely cup half empty!
Whatever
Ihearye
Robin wrote:I suspect the Mo fee would be split over a number of seasons and would see us realistically able to sign players like Ilias or Morrell permanently for reasonable fees, we could probably bid for someone like Kristian Dennis or John Akinkde as examples but I doubt we would pay a fee much above £100k as most of the money will be sucked up by higher wages.
So what do you think is the price range, that no matter what our kitty was, we couldn't attract that kind of player?
vickeryc
Robin wrote:I suspect the Mo fee would be split over a number of seasons and would see us realistically able to sign players like Ilias or Morrell permanently for reasonable fees, we could probably bid for someone like Krisytian Dennis or John Akinkde as examples but I doubt we would pay a fee much above £100k as most of the money will be sucked up by higher wages.
I'd be very surprised if we got either of those players for that sort of fee given their goal scoring ability (in Akinde's case, last season). What all of this tells me is that the club should hang onto Mo next season then wait for the bidding war to start.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If we can’t attract or afford a 20+ goal replacement then it is daft to sell. Another reason I think the club will reject all approaches out of hand.
Robin
vickeryc wrote:
Robin wrote:I suspect the Mo fee would be split over a number of seasons and would see us realistically able to sign players like Ilias or Morrell permanently for reasonable fees, we could probably bid for someone like Krisytian Dennis or John Akinkde as examples but I doubt we would pay a fee much above £100k as most of the money will be sucked up by higher wages.
I'd be very surprised if we got either of those players for that sort of fee given their goal scoring ability (in Akinde's case, last season). What all of this tells me is that the club should hang onto Mo next season then wait for the bidding war to start.
Both clubs are about to be relegated they will be desperate for cash and I doubt they could afford to turn £100k down especially as both are in the last year of their contracts.
vickeryc
Maybe. I guess it will partly depend on how many clubs are interested and how much they would be prepared to pay.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Dennis may well move back to Macclesfield who are coming up.

Chesterfield are up the creek. Debts and a want away owner but who wants too much money for the club so no one will take it off his hands. Getting Dennis off the wage bill will be a positive from his point of view.
Robin
No chance Macclesfield could pay £100k fee.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:No chance Macclesfield could pay £100k fee.
Where the blazes has this £100k fee figure come from? Dennis will want out, and Chesterfield will be keen to cut the wage bill so just as likely to be no fee at all as there is the hypothetical £100k.
vickeryc
Fair point; in which case other, bigger, clubs than us may be more attractive to Kristian Dennis.
theidlerich
I find all this chat about selling and acquiring rather unsettling. In my view it is essential to have a strong nucleus that reflects the ambitions of the club in place before the final ST early bird date. That is the only way CTFC will attract, and I suspect many others, renewals, mine included. That has not happened over the last few seasons; the exception being on our immediate return to Lg2, when it was patently obvious we would struggle with the squad in place [I was right on that score, but not proud of it!!]. It appears we are heading for the same scenario - barely a decent squad in place at this point; I hope to be proved wrong, but time [and patience] is running out.