Cheltenham Town v Coventry City

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

drgm
We have three of the best midfielders in this division but Gary consistently plays two of them out of position
so he can find a place in the team for Sellars. Christ - wake up and smell the coffee!

Yes, Coventry were good but Gary just handed them the initiative. Some of our better players don't want
another season in the bottom third and will make their own decisions.
Alf
Robin wrote:What has McCann done to deserve the job other than being a former player? I've said it before and I'll say it again.
I remember people saying the similar things when Cotts got the managers job and he didn’t do to badly, did he?
Rulistening
Shocking today. Sellars is far too lazy to be in our team. Unless he is willing to sit on the bench majority of next season i just wouldn't offer him a new deal, he's far too predictable as he's so one footed.

As for Pell. If we get offered 200k again for him ill drive him myself... no point in keeping a player if our manager wants to find new and exciting ways to play him out of position
I-Love-CTFC
Rulistening wrote:Shocking today. Sellars is far too lazy to be in our team. Unless he is willing to sit on the bench majority of next season i just wouldn't offer him a new deal, he's far too predictable as he's so one footed.

As for Pell. If we get offered 200k again for him ill drive him myself... no point in keeping a player if our manager wants to find new and exciting ways to play him out of position
Sellars is a luxury player who doesn't contribute anything defensively. Johnson calling players 'mentally weak' again.
drgm
Rulistening wrote:Shocking today. Sellars is far too lazy to be in our team. Unless he is willing to sit on the bench majority of next season i just wouldn't offer him a new deal, he's far too predictable as he's so one footed.

Sellars needs to mark, chase and tackle. It's obvious to anyone with a pair of eyes that he cant be arsed to do these basic tasks but 'He who cannot be criticised' keeps picking him!

Pell needs to be played in central midfield alongside Atangana and Winchester. Especially against a team like
Coventry. Pell looked a frustrated player out there today.

Thanks for everything Gary but it's time you thought about retiring.
Ihearye

agree, GJ goes on in his interview about how he expected them to be comimng at them, power and pace. Yet if snow white was on at the everyman 1/4 of our team would be missing. Put a big strong guy on in the second half and gosh, their big boys can't pish him around as mich. Football genius

Also what is it with playing DW, been a bench warmer all season, then out of the blue he starts ? What caused that ???? After Mo on his own week afteer week
East End Robin
Ihearye wrote:

agree, GJ goes on in his interview about how he expected them to be comimng at them, power and pace. Yet if snow white was on at the everyman 1/4 of our team would be missing. Put a big strong guy on in the second half and gosh, their big boys can't pish him around as mich. Football genius

Also what is it with playing DW, been a bench warmer all season, then out of the blue he starts ? What caused that ???? After Mo on his own week afteer week
RE Wright, it's clearly a farewell to a player who deserves one for his efforts whilst here. Tbh, starting Mo up front on his own at home clearly wasn't working so something did have to be done
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Pell on the right is daft.

But him and Nige both in the middle is not creative enough. But we try and play them both and it doesn’t work.

But we need two players in their role (two in the squad for each position) so if Pell does we need a replacement.
Robin
4-4-2 with no wingers, as soon as I saw it I was concerned, absolute joke of a formation. Play 4-3-3 or 5-3-2 with our players nothing else
Alf
Almost the last game of the season and we are still experimenting with players and positions and against one of the strongest sides in the league. Surely this should be sorted earlier in the season? I really don’t know what to think. Has GJ lost his way completely or is he a tactical genius weighing up the pros and cons for next season? I have always thought that he was the best we could afford but maybe he has a prob getting through to the current generation of footballers.
silverrobin
I personally think Gary needs a rest. He now sounds totally disillusioned in his post match team talks and tends to trot out the same old rhetoric each time. As has already been said that performance and a few others earlier like it at home, are not going to encourage fans to renew their season tickets.
I can't believe we've conceded 10 goals in our last two matches and can only assume that some of the players are 'already on the beach'.
everyman
silverrobin wrote:I personally think Gary needs a rest. He now sounds totally disillusioned in his post match team talks and tends to trot out the same old rhetoric each time. As has already been said that performance and a few others earlier like it at home, are not going to encourage fans to renew their season tickets.
I can't believe we've conceded 10 goals in our last two matches and can only assume that some of the players are 'already on the beach'.
Some of those players could earn more money on the beach at Weston-Super-Mare ?
Alf
everyman wrote:
silverrobin wrote:I personally think Gary needs a rest. He now sounds totally disillusioned in his post match team talks and tends to trot out the same old rhetoric each time. As has already been said that performance and a few others earlier like it at home, are not going to encourage fans to renew their season tickets.
Some of those players could earn more money on the beach at Weston-Super-Mare ?
They’ll probably get the chance to find out next season!
Robin
One thing I will say is I don't have the impression that this group are not putting the effort in unlike previous times (notably under Yates towards the end of his reign). There are two or three (Grimes, Taylor Moore, Wright) not good enough but the others are good enough to play at this level and there are some who could play higher (Eisa, Winchester perhaps Pell/Morrell/Ilias).
Del Boy
I keep reading how we've got the nucleus of a team to push for the play-offs, that we've got eight players too good for this division, that we've got the best manager we could hope to get yet we're going backwards.

The buck has to stop with the manager. Most grateful he got us back up when we rolled the dice overspending but his record in division two has been worse than any manager we've had for any significant amount of time.

This summer is going to be crucial. If Eisa does go - and maybe Winchester - then we need to replace two crucial players.
I just don't trust Johnson to replace them regardless of funds and there must be a very real chance without Eisa's goals that we'll be relegated. Talk of the play-offs is ludicrous.

People say a new manager would be a gamble - I reckon sticking with the current one would be a bigger gamble.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Going backwards relative to what?
Del Boy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Going backwards relative to what?
Relative to our form - allbeit far from impressive - earlier in the season. Losing five of our last six games and getting thrashed at home.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:
Relative to our form - allbeit far from impressive - earlier in the season. Losing five of our last six games and getting thrashed at home.
Completely agree there. A worrying drop off in form and to be honest lucky that we had enough points on the board already cos because had we not then I dread to think.
everyman
Del Boy wrote:
Body language from both ends of the dug-out,not conducive to motivation !
pas
We didn't just look a poor league 2 sidle yesterday but a mid table National League team at best. In the long time I have watched the Robins I don’t recall ever going down 6- 1 at home.
I wonder what the team selection will be next Saturday ?
ctfc-fan
I’m thinking the Rangers manager should resign after their heavy defeat today too....