Objective view

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nham68
You know, we didn’t play wholly bad. We lost to a team display that was rampant. It’s one of those games where you just come up against a team that just gets 100% right on the day in all areas , clinically executed.

The quality of the Coventry finishing was sublime . In midfield we did ok, we also created plenty of chances. We were just ripped to shreds at the back by a devastating display.

The movement and pace from Coventry was in a different class. Would have ripped us to shreds on our good days . They had options in every phase of the game. We just couldn’t handle it ..

We had effort , that was much better than FGR game . We also had some passion too .. I thought the second half reaction was good . 1st half wasn’t without effort or passion , just purely outplayed.

The real issue is the defensive calibre. Felt sorry for Rodon .. bad mistake. That happens.

Second half we had some spells we did ok too... I thought Sami was excellent .. offers so much more than Sellers who I have to say was poor first half. We looked different in second half , decent team.

As for home fans behind the goal. I can understand the frustration .. I too have concerns . Don’t think our manager has the team behind him. That’s probably because several know they have better options for next season .. so compare Coventry who are united and fighting for playoff, we have a team that is in process of being disassembled.. albeit partly involuntarily. That will explain part of the gulf in performance today.

I’d rather stick for now . Not sure we can do better.

And for fans to sing “ we hate Johnson”is just utterly embarrassing, brainless, gormless - we have a core of idiots that have a collective IQ or less than 100 at best.. why make it personal...
Robin
I agree Coventry one of the better teams to visit this season and we probably could have scored three or four ourselves today. That said, there were some poor performances from some of ours and two of the goals were down to individual mistakes again.
drgm
In Gary we trust. If any other manager had been in charge of that team today we would have lost 7-1 not 6-1.
Malabus
We were poor. Shambolic.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk
Nesty
Ihearye
"the quality of Coventry's finishing was sublime"

Have to totally disagree with this, for their first 4 goals they had all the time in the world to score, there was not a defender near them.

If not being @ssed was the problem, then maybe he should have put out 11 who were staying, regardless of who they where.

Coventry are edge of playoffs, lets not forget that. So saying the was a huge gulf oin class, reflects more on us than them. Dob't really care at the minute who is manager, after a season of dross at home, I just don't care
Maggie Hall
First time since 1968 that I have left a game early
Total embarrassment. Been a season ticket holder for nearly 30 years and at this moment I think that will be the last one I buy.
Tomorrow in the cold light of day after the medicinal whisky and brandy have worn off, I will probably reconsider.
Unfortunately for me, CTFC is like a drug and they are my team,and I will buy an overpriced season ticket, but I am not sure how much more of this sh*t I can take. Don't blame GJ. Players on the pitch don't deliver and the board set the ticket prices.
My season has finished now as I am going on holiday next weekend, but to all supporters I wish you a happy and sunny summer, and maybe see you at Whaddon Rd next season
COYB
Ihearye wrote:"the quality of Coventry's finishing was sublime"

Have to totally disagree with this, for their first 4 goals they had all the time in the world to score, there was not a defender near them.

If not being @ssed was the problem, then maybe he should have put out 11 who were staying, regardless of who they where.

Coventry are edge of playoffs, lets not forget that. So saying the was a huge gulf oin class, reflects more on us than them. Dob't really care at the minute who is manager, after a season of dross at home, I just don't care

There were some quality finishes today, they look easy when they are hit as well as many of them were. Yes we could have defended better at times, 'defending from the front' as well, but as for "shambolic" as another comment Malabus, I don't agree with this. We weren't at our best but Coventry were absolutely on song, they probably haven't played as well as that many times this season, it was just a shame we were on the receiving end of it. All that said, out home form this season has been grim but supporting a team is black or white, if you support them you support them through thick and thin.
RichardMoss
We have nothing to play for at this point in the season, we aren’t going to get relegated nor are we going to climb the table whereas Coventry are battling for a play off space and for momentum going into the play offs. You see it all the time across all divisions of football. I personally didn’t hear the negative chanting about Johnson but if that’s true then those who sang that shouldn’t bother turning up, it’s hardly like that’s going to help anyone, the man got us promoted back up at the first time of asking 2 years ago and has kept us up since then. We have a quality manager who has the experience to take us up the league and the know how at that level to build successful sides, but he can’t built that at the drop of the hat, cut him some slack and let him build this club up and take us up the divisions like he did at Yeovil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robin
There must have been 50-100 chanting quite offensive stuff at Johnson and Baker, surprised you didn't hear it and no I was not one.
Si Robin
I struggle to see the quality in the manager anymore.

Let's get this right, GJ getting us promoted two years ago was phenomenal, and I'll be forever grateful to him for it, but last season we managed to stay up in the penultimate game of the season, and this year we've gone into the last game of the season a mere 1 point better off than last year. We're better off in the League because other teams haven't got as many points.

In the current form table we are 3rd from bottom, having lost 5 of our last 6 games and we have only won once at home since beating Vale 5-1 on 10th February. That run includes the defeat to Forest Green, in which all of the week before we heard big talk about how we were going to treat it like a Cup final and go for the win, only to then stand off the one team in the League who has struggled most against the press all season and let them have all the time in the World to do whatever they wanted on our own pitch - their keeper being forced into one difficult save all game.

Johnson has had a fantastic career, and he worked wonders getting us up two years ago, but whenever things get tough he resorts to type. When asked if beating FGR would be a big boost for fans, he goes on a rant criticising those who may have been talking out about him, he blames the players for not being motivated, when it's his job to get players motivated. He's blamed JP for doing his job and reporting on transfer rumours.

He's so pig-headed that a bit of me genuinely believes he never brought in a right-back all season to spite those of us were calling for one back in the summer last year. Questioning a fans coaching qualifications because said fan dared to ask a tough question in the recent fan's forum.

I struggle to see where the confidence in him comes from to turn things around in the summer.

I would like him to go and I would like us to give Grant McCann a chance - his win record as Posh boss (40%) is not bad in the slightest, and if what I heard today is true, then he would love to come back to us as well. He would immediately gain the support of the fans and giving him the summer to get his own players in is just the common sense thing to do.
Robin
I can see GJ leaving and McCann coming actually Si, seems the most likely outcome right now.
Si Robin
The club needs refreshing - there's so much negativity at the moment, and I don't think GJ has the heart (no pun intended) to take the whole club on anymore. He needs miracles to get some fans back on side (not just spotty 15 year olds behind the goal, but people who go home and away religiously).

The club got it right after relegation, but now seem to accept staying up as a massive success. GJ is almost a victim of that - he won't take us down - but we need something new.
RichardMoss
I’d argue that although we are not massively better off in terms of position or points, this season has been hindered by injuries to key players such as Forster and Cranston, I was at the game that Forster got injured in and I would strongly argue that if our defence had him in then we would not have leaked as many goals or made as many mistakes as we have at the back. I would also argue that had Cranston been fit all season then that would have allowed us to play Winnie in the middle of the park rather than at left back, lack of fitness in graham has also left us relying on eisa’s goals alone pretty much all season which although very impressive, are not enough to push us towards upper mid table or the play offs. Next season with key players back and some summer recruitment on top of players like Lloyd coming into the first team more and more creating competition for places I have no doubts that we will improve yet again. I don’t think that getting rid of Johnson will benefit us at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Si Robin
Injuries happen in football, you can't legislate for it I agree, but they do. Winchester didn't play many games at left-back, and Ilias has been just as good as Cranko really.

I agree Forster was a big loss, but does that explain why Boyle hardly played until the second half of the season, or would GJ have simply kept Grimes alongside Forster as until recently he seemed to have been the first name on the teamsheet despite a number of very high profile errors.

Graham's lack of fitness could have been telegraphed by the fact he didn't really have a pre-season and some of the loans have simply been a waste of time (Manny and Adebayo for example).

We've scored a lot of goals, but defensively we've been a mess for pretty much all of our time back in the Football League, and I've seen nothing from Johnson to suggest he will turn it around.

We've been here before, and I was a big advocate of giving Yates another season. That was a big mistake, and I believe keeping Johnson on would be just the same.
Sprout Picker
Robin wrote:There must have been 50-100 chanting quite offensive stuff at Johnson and Baker, surprised you didn't hear it and no I was not one.
There were about 20-30 of them at the most. Utter morons.
Player2 Has Joined
[quote="Robin
There were about 20-30 of them at the most. Utter morons.[/quote]

Most of whom are 15 year olds (and seemingly now our firm). The chanting towards Johnson shows a total lack of class. The man has got us promoted and put aside some serious health issues to do his part to keep us in the league last season. Whether he's the right person or not to take us forward (I personally think he is) the personal nature of some of the chants aimed towards GJ today was completely unwarranted.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sprout Picker wrote:
Robin wrote:There must have been 50-100 chanting quite offensive stuff at Johnson and Baker, surprised you didn't hear it and no I was not one.
Probably know the wasters who were banned and turned away the other week and thought they were being big and tough chanting about Paul Baker in revenge. Laughable.
alwaysarobin
Those shouting abuse from behind the goal at the manager might have their opinion but at 15 years of age they seem to expect us to be in the premiership. It gets frustrating I know but when we win it's the players they praise and when we lose it's suddenly the managers fault. We are not a wealthy club and cannot afford big wages and geography dictates we have a hard job attracting players here because of high housing costs, both buying and renting. I personally feel concerned that off the pitch we are not as professional as we should be. I ask the board to divulge the sponsorship deals we have with shirt sponsors, stand sponsors etc and lets explore how much other clubs get, after all it is a business that needs a lot of money to survive and other than supporters through the turnstiles where does our money come from? Over the summer they need to put together ideas on how to increase the attendance rather than expecting those who currently go week in week out to buy more stuff or give more money.
Do the directors and players realise we have supporters that travel over 100 miles to come to each home game? That is loyalty and that is what the club means to people. It gets into your blood and it stays with you.
I for one believe GJ should stay and there should be someone appointed to work alongside him now that will know the club and players who can take over in a year's time and not have to have build clear out of players and backroom staff.
Here endeth today's view

Keep healthy with totallyxenca.com
Ihearye
Sprout Picker wrote:
agree, he is the clubs manager and until such a time that he decides to leave, he should expect our respect. Much the same as the abuse of Yates was so offensive
THECHOIRBOY
Minus the comment on Eisa I agree with Ben

Defending was shambolic. Good defending yes but mistakes for all first four.

First goal, we switch off at a free kick, same for second. Rodon let's ball bounce for fourth. I could go on

Awful performances from all though second half when Pell actually played his proper position we had much more drive
drgm
Si Robin wrote:I struggle to see the quality in the manager anymore.

Let's get this right, GJ getting us promoted two years ago was phenomenal, and I'll be forever grateful to him for it, but last season we managed to stay up in the penultimate game of the season, and this year we've gone into the last game of the season a mere 1 point better off than last year. We're better off in the League because other teams haven't got as many points.

In the current form table we are 3rd from bottom, having lost 5 of our last 6 games and we have only won once at home since beating Vale 5-1 on 10th February. That run includes the defeat to Forest Green, in which all of the week before we heard big talk about how we were going to treat it like a Cup final and go for the win, only to then stand off the one team in the League who has struggled most against the press all season and let them have all the time in the World to do whatever they wanted on our own pitch - their keeper being forced into one difficult save all game.

Johnson has had a fantastic career, and he worked wonders getting us up two years ago, but whenever things get tough he resorts to type. When asked if beating FGR would be a big boost for fans, he goes on a rant criticising those who may have been talking out about him, he blames the players for not being motivated, when it's his job to get players motivated. He's blamed JP for doing his job and reporting on transfer rumours.

He's so pig-headed that a bit of me genuinely believes he never brought in a right-back all season to spite those of us were calling for one back in the summer last year. Questioning a fans coaching qualifications because said fan dared to ask a tough question in the recent fan's forum.

I struggle to see where the confidence in him comes from to turn things around in the summer.

I would like him to go and I would like us to give Grant McCann a chance - his win record as Posh boss (40%) is not bad in the slightest, and if what I heard today is true, then he would love to come back to us as well. He would immediately gain the support of the fans and giving him the summer to get his own players in is just the common sense thing to do.
Pretty much nail being hit on head. People ask what Grant has done but his record a Posh was pretty good. Cash in on Mo this summer (he's going sooner rather than later anyway) and give a new manager the money to build a decent squad.
Ihearye
Ben2 wrote:There’s a lot of analysis on here that i dont agee with.

I spoke to three people aged 50-70 (being nice!) who agreed with me that this was one of the most inept performances we’d ever seen. All three were questioning johnsons position. Ill he honest - so was i. Not 15 year olds but very seasoned fans of many years standing.

On to the performance - its hard to know where to start. To say ilias had a poor game sets the tone as he’s been our most consistent player for last couple of months. Winnie was horrendous. I dont mind players getting round the back, good teams do that, but to cross the ball to two or three unopposed attackers is baffling. Good finishing? Id have finished those as would geoffreys mum. They could have knocked the ball between them for a while. Where the hell were boyle and rodon????

Midfield - non existent. Pell can go, he was awful. Hes 6’7, why doesn't he win a few headers? We wont see sellars at WR again unless he mans up.

Most ludicrously, eisa isnt that good. I know it sounds silly buy he offers zero apart from goals. In open play hes powder

They were NOT that good. How professional footballers who presumably spend their week practisicing football cannot KICK is beyond me. Their keeper kicked three in a row straight off, missing the tiny 80 yard target. He couldnt kick first half. Its embarrassing

I wont single anymore out, they must know, johnson must know that he will only have three or four of that team in the squad next term and after six games he will be judged.
Surely the problem is in that post somewhere. Our recent summer recruitments have. on the whole, been very poor, so each year we are left towards the end of a season with players either not good enough or who know they are on their way out. There is absolutely no evidence that this summer will see us in any better a position come the start of next season.
Is a new manager the answer? I don't know, but their are many who quote GJ experience and success as a reason for keeping him om and they may be right. However, surely it is time for that experience to shine through, Gone are the days when you had a squad you 'knew' and could buy in to. I can hear RCS saying thats low finance football, but that can't be the answer for every problem!
We have seen this season of all seasons that money does not mean success. OK Stanley may well be a flash in the pan, but the principle is there. When they were down here they looked much the better team.
As I said in another post Coventry are on edge of the palyoffs, not runaway champions, so no, the gulf should not be that big. We are light weight both in skill, actual size and experience. We have taken a few of the younger smaller players to teh races a few times too often I believe, hence the drop in perfomance levels. The saddest part is, after yesterday, there are very few I would be sad to see go. If that is their ability to raise themselves and apply themselves (esp after FGR fiasco), then questions should be asked of most of them, apart from the subs, keeper and Nigel.

On another note, after some of their forward play yesterday, I would think that any current belief that Mo is our golden gose is a bit wide of the mark. Ok he was up against a good defence and they were up against ...... nobody. However, the respective values can not be too far apart?

As per another comment, yesterday was also the first match I ever left early due to a)cba watching that $hite any more b) hacked off at being surrounded by Cov fans cheering every goal c) the complete and utter inability of the stewards to prevent their fans onto the pitch and rubbing our noses in it even more

Not too sure why the masked ranks of her Majestys constabulary where inside teh CF and not out around the pitch preventing what we are constantly being told over the tannoy is an illegal act, Difficult to respect a club that at times shows no respect for itself or its fans
Ihearye
drgm wrote:

Pretty much nail being hit on head. People ask what Grant has done but his record a Posh was pretty good. Cash in on Mo this summer (he's going sooner rather than later anyway) and give a new manager the money to build a decent squad.
Posh ST I know, were sad to see Grant leave. Would he be any better ? who knows ? But I don't need to listen to another interview telling me thats football, thats why they are where they are etc etc. It's all fine taking a supposed hard line with Boyle, I dont see a similar hard line being taken all season with others. Oe taken with those who 'won't ' sign a new contract. There needs to be a few home truths told and if that is done behind closed doors, teh fans need to see some evidence of it, because yesterday most cba
everyman

G.J.showed his disdain for fans when he questioned that fan sarcastically,best thing the fan did in fact have coaching qualifications.Stop bullying everyone it is demotivating,give yourself and us a break !
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
Ben2 wrote:There’s a lot of analysis on here that i dont agee with.

I spoke to three people aged 50-70 (being nice!) who agreed with me that this was one of the most inept performances we’d ever seen. All three were questioning johnsons position. Ill he honest - so was i. Not 15 year olds but very seasoned fans of many years standing.

On to the performance - its hard to know where to start. To say ilias had a poor game sets the tone as he’s been our most consistent player for last couple of months. Winnie was horrendous. I dont mind players getting round the back, good teams do that, but to cross the ball to two or three unopposed attackers is baffling. Good finishing? Id have finished those as would geoffreys mum. They could have knocked the ball between them for a while. Where the hell were boyle and rodon????

Midfield - non existent. Pell can go, he was awful. Hes 6’7, why doesn't he win a few headers? We wont see sellars at WR again unless he mans up.

Most ludicrously, eisa isnt that good. I know it sounds silly buy he offers zero apart from goals. In open play hes powder

They were NOT that good. How professional footballers who presumably spend their week practisicing football cannot KICK is beyond me. Their keeper kicked three in a row straight off, missing the tiny 80 yard target. He couldnt kick first half. Its embarrassing

I wont single anymore out, they must know, johnson must know that he will only have three or four of that team in the squad next term and after six games he will be judged.
Surely the problem is in that post somewhere. Our recent summer recruitments have. on the whole, been very poor, so each year we are left towards the end of a season with players either not good enough or who know they are on their way out. There is absolutely no evidence that this summer will see us in any better a position come the start of next season.
Is a new manager the answer? I don't know, but their are many who quote GJ experience and success as a reason for keeping him om and they may be right. However, surely it is time for that experience to shine through, Gone are the days when you had a squad you 'knew' and could buy in to. I can hear RCS saying thats low finance football, but that can't be the answer for every problem!
We have seen this season of all seasons that money does not mean success. OK Stanley may well be a flash in the pan, but the principle is there. When they were down here they looked much the better team.
As I said in another post Coventry are on edge of the palyoffs, not runaway champions, so no, the gulf should not be that big. We are light weight both in skill, actual size and experience. We have taken a few of the younger smaller players to teh races a few times too often I believe, hence the drop in perfomance levels. The saddest part is, after yesterday, there are very few I would be sad to see go. If that is their ability to raise themselves and apply themselves (esp after FGR fiasco), then questions should be asked of most of them, apart from the subs, keeper and Nigel.

On another note, after some of their forward play yesterday, I would think that any current belief that Mo is our golden gose is a bit wide of the mark. Ok he was up against a good defence and they were up against ...... nobody. However, the respective values can not be too far apart?

As per another comment, yesterday was also the first match I ever left early due to a)cba watching that $hite any more b) hacked off at being surrounded by Cov fans cheering every goal c) the complete and utter inability of the stewards to prevent their fans onto the pitch and rubbing our noses in it even more

Not too sure why the masked ranks of her Majestys constabulary where inside teh CF and not out around the pitch preventing what we are constantly being told over the tannoy is an illegal act, Difficult to respect a club that at times shows no respect for itself or its fans
Diddums, Coventry fans cheering when goals went in too much for you?

I agree with you on pitch invasion; should have been arrested and banned.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
everyman wrote:

G.J.showed his disdain for fans when he questioned that fan sarcastically,best thing the fan did in fact have coaching qualifications.Stop bullying everyone it is demotivating,give yourself and us a break !
Man shouts abuse / criticism at another man who gives a little bit back. Hardly disdain is it. What is more bullying is telling someone they have to stand and receive abuse and are not allowed to comment back. Look at yourself.
Robin
Player2 Has Joined wrote:[quote="Robin
Most of whom are 15 year olds (and seemingly now our firm). The chanting towards Johnson shows a total lack of class. The man has got us promoted and put aside some serious health issues to do his part to keep us in the league last season. Whether he's the right person or not to take us forward (I personally think he is) the personal nature of some of the chants aimed towards GJ today was completely unwarranted.[/quote]

No the ones I am referring too are all twenty odd years - some perhaps older and they were joined by another group to the right of the goal.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
Player2 Has Joined wrote:[quote="Robin
Most of whom are 15 year olds (and seemingly now our firm). The chanting towards Johnson shows a total lack of class. The man has got us promoted and put aside some serious health issues to do his part to keep us in the league last season. Whether he's the right person or not to take us forward (I personally think he is) the personal nature of some of the chants aimed towards GJ today was completely unwarranted.

No the ones I am referring too are all twenty odd years - some perhaps older and they were joined by another group to the right of the goal.[/quote]

He was talking about mental age.
Cov1
Coventry fans were well behaved weren’t they? Apart from a handful of fans ejected I didn’t see anything?
Si Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
everyman wrote:

Man shouts abuse / criticism at another man who gives a little bit back. Hardly disdain is it. What is more bullying is telling someone they have to stand and receive abuse and are not allowed to comment back. Look at yourself.
You appear to have missed the point - at the recent fan's forum Johnson was asked, politely, if changing the team every 45 mins was effecting the consistency of the team. His reaction wasn't to provide an explanation or reassurance, it was to question the knowledge of the fan and his coaching qualifications.

The fact said fan had coaching qualifications made him look even more stupid.

There was no abuse, and there was also no need for that sort of reaction from Johnson.
Si Robin
It wouldn't surprise me if there was a number of Cov fans in the home ends because they were sent there. One tried to tell my uncle he was in the wrong seat - my uncle being a season ticket holder who's had that seat for the last two seasons. We checked the lad's ticket and he was at the right seat, but in the wrong stand - he'd been sent to the Colin Farmer by stewards despite having a ticket for the away end.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Cov1 wrote:Coventry fans were well behaved weren’t they? Apart from a handful of fans ejected I didn’t see anything?
Yup, just our resident Ulsterman moaning who forgets that in most of Britain it is possible for two men to sit next to each other without trying to find a reason to attack one another.

Hope you all enjoyed the day - what pubs did you go to in the end?
Ihearye
You know something RCS as was going to pm you then thought why hide behind that.
Having been caught in two bomb attacks, been dragged from my car and attacked by a mob, I am sorry to say YES, even at the ripe old age of 68 and 3 months I still have concerns about my everyday life. What I sure as he'll don't need is a couple of armchair self righteous critics like yourself and cov1 telling me when I shoud and should not feel safe.
You sit from hundreds of miles away pontificating on what others should or should not endure. End of, now go and attack somebody else who does not fall in line with your views.
Del Boy
Ihearye wrote:You know something RCS as was going to pm you then thought why hide behind that.
Having been caught in two bomb attacks, been dragged from my car and attacked by a mob, I am sorry to say YES, even at the ripe old age of 68 and 3 months I still have concerns about my everyday life. What I sure as he'll don't need is a couple of armchair self righteous critics like yourself and cov1 telling me when I shoud and should not feel safe.
You sit from hundreds of miles away pontificating on what others should or should not endure. End of, now go and attack somebody else who does not fall in line with your views.
Well said.