Retention and Recruitment for next season:

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

theidlerich
Retention and Recruitment for next season:
I would like to believe our target sould be pushing for a play-off place; however after recent performances realistically it’s a rebuild for possible promotion in two years’ time. So from all the players we have seen this season, regardless of status, loans, academy or actually gainfully employed who would you wish to retain?
My list would be: Flinders ; Lovett; Winchester; Grimes; Cranston [1yr to assess post injury] Boyle; Foster [? Although have yet to see him play]; Morell; Winchester; Ilias C; Joe Rodon [?]; Atanga; Dawson; Eisa; Odelusi; Lloyd. Unable to pick any academy players as I have not seen them in action.
Managerial staff: I would hope GJ has the sense to offer his resignation as I believe, whilst he has done his best , a change is needed; also for health reasons. Backroom staff; well defensively we have been poor; tactics abysmal as subs [mostly], so without any knowledge depth here, some changes necessary.
Home games: better food fare on offer please; really unhappy at the warm chips :cry: and general grease ; perhaps a foray to FGR to compare :D ? Also can we spend our drink voucher in the IN2P stand cubby hole!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Another doctor diagnosing health issues. RNF your first port of call if you want medical advice.
East End Robin
Keep: Flinders, Lovett, Boyle, Cranston (maybe not as first choice tho), Forster, Bower, Dawson (but only if he can remain fit), Winchester (but he'll probs leave), Atangana, Pell, Sellars (but this next season is make or break), Eisa, Lloyd, Graham (but only as back up)

See you later: Grimes, Holman (remember him?), Wright, Odelusi (good player, but afraid he's a sick note)

The loans:
Morrell - done alright but we need better next season imo
Ilias - if we can get him permanently that would be nice, but I'm not sure how likely that is
All the others I won't be sad to go

Jury's out on youngsters and Janaai Gordon (remember him?)

So next year in an ideal world we could do with:
RB (please!)
2 X CB (at least one of whom is a Steve Elliot)
Another full back, assuming ilias does not return
An out and out rw
an out and out lw
A creative cm if Winchester goes
A better target man than Brian Graham

Not sure how achieveable that is XD
I'm currently Johnson in btw (but if we have another season like this then I probably won't be)

Interested to hear what others thinkl
asl
Good summary of what we need, I agree. I'd add Graham to the "won't be sad if he leaves" list.
Robin
An experienced centre half and a powerful striker are essential. Followed by Ilias and a right back of similar quality. Those four signings are the key for me and that's assuming nobody else leaves beyond the obvious ones (Wright, Page, Thomas, Holman etc.).
horlickfanclub
Add Grimes,Cranston and Sellars to the obvious.
Robin
I would say Sellars is on the border as to whether he stays or goes the potential is there but some of his performances have lacked effort and GJ won't tolerate that. I'd imagine Grimes will be released and Cranston retained.
CTFC03
Cranston has to go for me. Unlucky with the injury yes but he makes too many mistakes and we just look an even softer touch with him on the pitch.
Si Robin
He's started one game since his injury - before said injury he was a contender for player of the season. The lad more than deserves the chance to prove himself.
horlickfanclub
Player of the season? Is it April 1 st or 30th?
Artemis
Si Robin wrote:He's started one game since his injury - before said injury he was a contender for player of the season. The lad more than deserves the chance to prove himself.
Spot on........how forgetful some folks are.....
drgm
I haven't forgotten his recent performance against Cambridge.
Si Robin
You mean his first start after 4 and half months out injured, an injury that initially ruled him out for the season.
Shade
For Gods sake. Cranston was playing like an average L2 left back before his injury. I think people saw a vast improvement from terrible and seemed to think he'd become one of the best left backs in the division when the reality was he'd stepped up to normality.
pas
Shade wrote:For Gods sake. Cranston was playing like an average L2 left back before his injury. I think people saw a vast improvement from terrible and seemed to think he'd become one of the best left backs in the division when the reality was he'd stepped up to normality.
Agree wholeheartedly.
drgm
Si Robin wrote:You mean his first start after 4 and half months out injured, an injury that initially ruled him out for the season.
He gave away two penalties before being substituted. He clearly wasn't match ready. Blame Gary if you want
but imho he's average at best, a liability at worst. Not the kind of player who's going to push us up the table.