Some thoughts on the Coventry defeat

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Can be read here: http://bit.ly/5ThingsCoventry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
East End Robin
Good work JP, look forward to this every week
Artemis
Interesting opening line. If true, who is on the likely to leave list?

Certainties:
Wright, Illias, Rodon, Morrell

Probable:
Winchester, Eisa

Possible:
Any of them are possible departures, just some more likely than others!
Robin
Yes I thought that too Art, I guess we will sell Pell so you can add him to the Probably list.

Of those staying you'd say Flinders, Atangana and Boyle
everyman
Robin wrote:Yes I thought that too Art, I guess we will sell Pell so you can add him to the Probably list.

Of those staying you'd say Flinders, Atangana and Boyle
Looks like a rebuild req`d.Usually takes 2/3 years,with one notable exception,(promotion from non-league).Ican`t see the present manager staying that long ?
Artemis
Yup, almost certain to stay (subject to offers, though), Atangana, Boyle, Flinders. Plus of our currently contracted players, Cranston, Forster, Graham, Dawson, Lovett, Lloyd from outside the starting XI will or are very likely to stay.

Grimes and Odelusi to go.

In terms of rebuild, the reality in league 2 of short term contracts and loans means its a churn of players every year.
horlickfanclub
Cranstons contract is up in June.
Mike1953
Don't panic, Mr Mainwaring, don't panic! Yes we were well beaten by a very good team playing high octane football and witnessed 6 excellent goals. But we were spared a final humiliation when Scott was alert to the audacious pot shot from near the half way line. Coventry in that mood could have beaten most teams in Div 2 and we were unlucky to have been in their way on Saturday. Lessons for us? Well, I'm sure Nigel will never again assist the opposition in taking a cheeky quick free kick. And when we try the same trick, it WILL be better rehearsed and not draw jeers of derision. But a big problem off the field for management is how to reduce the advantage we hand to opposing fans in seating them where we do. These may be good from the point of view of H & S, crowd control and access to buses, but what is so apparent was the massive influence the 1500 Coventry fans exerted. It was as bad as gifting them a goal. Solutions? Cap their numbers. Charge them more. Divide and scatter. Take the roof off. Now I know you will say the best way to silence them is by scoring some goals of our own. But, we must address this 'own goal' problem.
One final word for Gary Johnson. You have won the support of many, many fans and this prevails. But please don't throw the babies out with the bath water.
Shade
Rebuild. We're halfway through the rebuild but you'd think we're getting relegated.
Robin
Mike1953 wrote:Don't panic, Mr Mainwaring, don't panic! Yes we were well beaten by a very good team playing high octane football and witnessed 6 excellent goals. But we were spared a final humiliation when Scott was alert to the audacious pot shot from near the half way line. Coventry in that mood could have beaten most teams in Div 2 and we were unlucky to have been in their way on Saturday. Lessons for us? Well, I'm sure Nigel will never again assist the opposition in taking a cheeky quick free kick. And when we try the same trick, it WILL be better rehearsed and not draw jeers of derision. But a big problem off the field for management is how to reduce the advantage we hand to opposing fans in seating them where we do. These may be good from the point of view of H & S, crowd control and access to buses, but what is so apparent was the massive influence the 1500 Coventry fans exerted. It was as bad as gifting them a goal. Solutions? Cap their numbers. Charge them more. Divide and scatter. Take the roof off. Now I know you will say the best way to silence them is by scoring some goals of our own. But, we must address this 'own goal' problem.
One final word for Gary Johnson. You have won the support of many, many fans and this prevails. But please don't throw the babies out with the bath water.
Saturday only highlighted that we need the new main stand built and to give the In2Print to away fans.