Gary Johnson after the 6-1 defeat by Coventry

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Watch/read the full interview here: http://bit.ly/GJPostCov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jerry St Clair
Good on you for asking the pointy questions, JP.

But those answers from GJ were vague, evasive and defensive. No confidence.
horlickfanclub
Shabby, prickly ,tired and all ideas gone. Time for retirement by the sea. Me, Mr Johnson or both.
horlickfanclub
It was Peter Mathews asking the questions I think.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Shabby, prickly ,tired and all ideas gone. Time for retirement by the sea. Me, Mr Johnson or both.
Let me know if you’re considering the Northumberland coast.
Nesty
Apparently no acknowledgement to the fans by GJ or the players after the game, they all shot off down the tunnel
If so poor show, they should respect the paying punlic
Robin
That's a bit harsh Nesty not in an environment like that where they were being abused by the home crowd.
Nesty
It was the last home game though,but understand your viewpoint
MrsWardenHill
Danny Wright and Harry Pell acknowledged the supporters.
Lord Elpuz
Nesty wrote:Apparently no acknowledgement to the fans by GJ or the players after the game, they all shot off down the tunnel
If so poor show, they should respect the paying punlic
I don’t know where that was reported, but it was incorrect. Most of the Players came round to the ‘home’ end to applaud the fans at the end, in particular Dan Wright who got a lot of applause and his name sung, as did Mo but to a slightly lesser extent. Harry Pell and Will Boyle also definitely came close by to applaud fans.
Nesty
Facebook comments
theidlerich
It was noticed and discussed around me; the lack of players applauding the crowd and the management. Not good professionally; regardless of the result they should have walked around the home fans as a squad - poor as in very! Again might sway opinion in ST renewals.
They were "protected" by two lines of defence - the Police and the stewards; slightly better organised than our teams defence! :)
Shade
The players who are definitely off and had an affinity and history with the fans came around, namely Wright, Pell and Winchester. Sanmi was the only player who has joined within the last year that came round. If he can prove his fitness I'd take him in a heartbeat.
drgm
Excellent interview by Peter Matthews

'Have you got the drive and energy to do that Gary?' Most pertinent question of the lot

We've had two disappointing seasons. Going out of the FA cup in the first round twice. Losing to FGR

When we've really needed to put in a performance we just haven't done it. Another unacceptable performance today.

Square pegs etc...Club drifting along...etc etc

Any manager's job would be under pressure in this situation but Gary blames the players for not being mentally
tough - they're your players Gary! Your squad! Your selection and tactics!
little mo
I have not posted on here for quite a while because it is just not a nice place now. But I am not prepared to leave this without saying, some of the things being said on this thread are outright lies. GJ went straight down the tunnel, who could blame him. But I was one of the last to leave the PRE and most came over in the end, so some of you need to start telling the truth or get your asses down to Specsavers.
theidlerich
With respect Mo, most didn't. They wandered off looking rather lost and defeated; with as I stated earlier, a few applauding the fans. As one in the In2p I wished to applaud the squad after a torrid season. However on further reflection I feel it was a huge lack of respect from GJ not to walk around with his players at the end. Very poor, he needed to swallow his discomfort and presumably 'inner rage' to thank us for our suffering over the season. All St's around me and I sensed as one we were all unhappy at that; and all were seriously reconsidering renewal! Sad end to a largely underachieving season.
[ps this forum is what posters make it and more 'new' posters with their thoughts would be welcome. The spat with OTC for example seems to me churlish; all have their points of view; but I would not condone personal or libellous attacks. It would be interesting to meet with this group in neutral 'environment'; no doubt some fascinating discussions would take place. Whether RGS would make it would be open to doubt; perhaps skype or facetime liason? :)]
drgm
Too many armchair supporters little mo. Relying on Facebook, the internet and 'someone I spoke to who knew someone who went to the game'. Quick to comment on here without the facts. Johnson went down the tunnel but most of the players stayed on the pitch.

Perhaps if they bothered to go they would see for themselves how bad things are at the moment. When you're paying
£20 to watch you're entitled to be disappointed.
THECHOIRBOY
And well done to Grimes for applauding the fans. He got booed by some as he did it but carried on doing.
Sprout Picker
THECHOIRBOY wrote:And well done to Grimes for applauding the fans. He got booed by some as he did it but carried on doing.
Second this. Thought he played alright and certainly an improvement on what we witnessed in the first half.

That little group of children behind the goal are a complete embarrassment.
Nesty
strange that neither BBC or Sky gave Mo's goal as a penalty
asl
Nesty wrote:strange that neither BBC or Sky gave Mo's goal as a penalty
The BBC text commentary said: 'Penalty, Cheltenham Town'. Then, immediately after: 'Eisa shown the yellow card for a bad foul.' After that, a Cov player also got a yellow. Then Eisa scored, with no mention of it being a penalty, leaving me slightly confused as to what had happened.

Nope, I wasn't there. I realised I had spunked away £16 per match seeing games against Newport, Yeovil, Maidstone, Carlisle and FGR over the course of the season and decided I had better ways of spending that £16.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:strange that neither BBC or Sky gave Mo's goal as a penalty
The Associated Press or whichever data provider the BBC and Sky get their data from these days probably missed it off when sending the details in. Neither organisation use their own sources for lower league data unless they have a reporter at the ground, which is why the reporters often give a different scorer to the vidiptinter which just presents the third party data.
Shade
BBC Points West gave Eisa's goal to Lee Angol on Saturday evening! I believe he was playing about 100 miles down the road at the time.
Jerry St Clair
Why are some grown men getting so upset because other grown men aren't showing them enough attention?
Poxx
I thought it was interesting in the match day programme what Gary Johnson said;

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank MOST of our supporters for their efforts in backing their team throughout this season"

You usually get the usual " I would like to thank everybody etc"

Maybe he has lost patience with the crowd too?
longmover
Poxx wrote:I thought it was interesting in the match day programme what Gary Johnson said;

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank MOST of our supporters for their efforts in backing their team throughout this season"

Other way round I reckon, seems as though GJ's tenure at CTFC is following the same path as his stints at Yeovil and Northampton.
Robin
He wasn't at Northampton long in fairness and worked wonders at Yeovil with one poor season mixed in with a lot of excellent ones. That said, I have the impression GJ is not at his best when things are not going well.
Poxx
I wonder if a great idea for Cheltenham would be Johnson as #2 (if he wants to step down)with a young manager in the forefront taking the pressure as Johnson doesn't seem to take pressure too well, when things start to go wrong and his ideas are not working rather than change to appease people he seems to dig his heels in no matter what the consequence.

I very much doubt he would do this but with his knowhow, contacts and experience and a new eager young manager. i think it sounds good.

Trouble is, we as fans only get one side of the stories- the one Cheltenham FC want to show. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes?
longmover
Would be a great idea as he is a wealth of knowledge, but cant see GJ as no.2, his way or no way.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:
Poxx wrote:I thought it was interesting in the match day programme what Gary Johnson said;

Other way round I reckon, seems as though GJ's tenure at CTFC is following the same path as his stints at Yeovil and Northampton.
Yeovil? If he gets us to the Championship like he did with them I will be happy.
vickeryc
Poxx wrote:I wonder if a great idea for Cheltenham would be Johnson as #2 (if he wants to step down)with a young manager in the forefront taking the pressure as Johnson doesn't seem to take pressure too well, when things start to go wrong and his ideas are not working rather than change to appease people he seems to dig his heels in no matter what the consequence.

I very much doubt he would do this but with his knowhow, contacts and experience and a new eager young manager. i think it sounds good.

Trouble is, we as fans only get one side of the stories- the one Cheltenham FC want to show. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes?
I agree that this could be a good scenario if GJ wanted it - as well as good 'succession planning' - but I too sense that he probably wouldn't be in favour. However, after his health issues last season, this might be a more attractive proposition to him than previously. Who knows?

While I fully understand fans' frustrations with recent form and the sense of under-achievement this season, I feel much of the criticism directed at Gary has been unfair, over the top and too personalised. There's no doubt in my mind that, with the resources at his disposal, he has built the nucleus of a good L2 squad and I'm confident that, with further good recruitment in the summer, we will do well next season. Rome wasn't built in a day. Sure, not all signings have come off, but that happens with all managers. It's all but impossible to predict how even the best players will gel in a new team, never mind relatively untested players coming in on free transfers or on loan.
everyman
longmover wrote:Would be a great idea as he is a wealth of knowledge, but cant see GJ as no.2, his way or no way.
If we employed a new coach/manager would he want G.J.looking over his shoulder in the background,i doubt it.I think a place on the board is preferable,slightly removed from playing side of things but his experience could be useful in general.