GJ

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

little mo
Following PB's statement, is Gary's position as secure as it was?
Red Duke
He has one year to go on his contract. Unless there is a large injection of cash, could we afford to pay him off?
Robin
I would say yes but a bad start could see him in trouble.
horlickfanclub
I would chip in.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I think it is more secure. With a long-standing chairman leaving then an experienced manager who knows the club is vital. Trying to find a manager whilst also trying to find a chairman would be turmoil and no Board of Directors worthy of their position would risk it.
Alf
We’ll see. Could depend on the resources of the new Chairman and his faith in the existing manager.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:We’ll see. Could depend on the resources of the new Chairman and his faith in the existing manager.
One imagines the resources will be the same and the role will be a promotion from the Board or someone the Board recruits externally to do the job.

We aren’t changing owners, or investors, so I do not expect resources change in the short-term. The skill (or lack thereof) of the new chairman to generate revenue from sponsors, commercial, hospitality and turnstiles will influence how much money we have in the medium term.

As for confidence, a manager who has steadied the ship and turned a profit following the club being on its knees, who knows the club and has decades of experience is probably the one thing a new external appointee would want!
Robin
Whilst I generally agree it's also possible the new chairman may put in some of his (or new her) own money now they have a greater say in the run of the club.
horlickfanclub
They may want to donate it to another cause. Why would you pour money in to a black hole? Money is coming from a possible Pell fee, Thomas add ons and possible fees for Eisa and Lloyd. That is plenty to keep the club going with an increased budget and a sensible reserve.
Robin
I can't see us selling Lloyd Horlick and suspect he will be a regular on the bench next season.

As for pouring money into a black hole I would do it if I was chairman because I am a fan who wants to see the club improve and reach it's potential.
horlickfanclub
If the club is run correctly, which it seems to be,it is not necessary. As with Pell or Eisa if a big offer came in for Lloyd he would go.If he stays I would not want to see him gathering splinters.
Robin
The chances of a big offer for Lloyd are low given he's played about three first team games and I very much doubt we would sell if Eisa goes, at least not until late summer when recruitment is complete.
SuperDaleWatkins
Keep the faith with GJ. We have to. It’s steady progress... 21st, 17th, and hopefully push for playoffs next year.

Correct me if i’m wrong, but none of the teams promoted (or in the playoffs) have changed their manager this season? The two relegated have sacked, maybe twice?

With a new chairman, the last thing we need is a new manager to the club. GJ knows what he is doing, and knows what is needed, most importantly he needs patience to build.
Nesty
I agree Super Dale, stability is the key word. Wont the new chairman need to oversee any comings and goings during the summer? so surely an announcement must be made soon? I would think its the Rail man?
Ralph
I thought the LCI Rail boss had already been "nominated" as successor before the season started when PB was thinking of leaving then
Alf
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Alf wrote:We’ll see. Could depend on the resources of the new Chairman and his faith in the existing manager.
One imagines the resources will be the same and the role will be a promotion from the Board or someone the Board recruits externally to do the job.

We aren’t changing owners, or investors, so I do not expect resources change in the short-term. The skill (or lack thereof) of the new chairman to generate revenue from sponsors, commercial, hospitality and turnstiles will influence how much money we have in the medium term.

As for confidence, a manager who has steadied the ship and turned a profit following the club being on its knees, who knows the club and has decades of experience is probably the one thing a new external appointee would want!
Your imagination may not match the reality. Have you ever considered there maybe someone in the wings waiting to take over the club lock,stock and barrel? I don’t know but it’s a possibility which I certainly would not dismiss.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:

Your imagination may not match the reality. Have you ever considered there maybe someone in the wings waiting to take over the club lock,stock and barrel? I don’t know but it’s a possibility which I certainly would not dismiss.
Let us bait our breath in preparation for the wait.
horlickfanclub
Alf may well be right.
Fuller
I'd be very surprised if that happened. Our club has always been held by a number of shareholders, that is what has given us relative stability for so many years.

I believe a few came in with bids to take over the whole club but these offers were dismissed.
Robin
I must admit after the Coventry debacle I was losing faith with GJ however with a bit of hindsight most clubs have struggled when returning back to the league in recent seasons (Bristol Rovers and Lincoln the exceptions). Barnet, Mansfield and ourselves all won the conference by high number of points but then struggled in league two so I feel a bit of patience has been needed because the gap between the two leagues seems to be getting larger (backed up by only ex-league teams and those heavily financed coming up in recent seasons).

I'm also encouraged by the calibre and positions of the players we are chasing, all exactly what we need and not going to be cheap either, this suggests to me that we are going to be more focused on promotion next season rather than another bottom half struggle.
Del Boy
The thought of promotion is laughable. We lost six of our last seven games and were the only team in all four division to lose their last four games. That was without losing - as seems likely - our two best players.

If Johnson stays I would accept 51pts and staying up in an instant. Sad how bad it's got.
Robin
If Johnson leaves I would write off our chances of promotion however if he's being back as he seems to be then I am wiling to give him another shot.

I'm not overly bothered about results at the end of the season as an indicator to future success as it was obvious that half the team had given up at that point.
Alf
It’s not acceptable in any way that half the team have given up. This is their job ffs. There are many punters who pay out of their hard earned wages to watch these players perform and no matter how disillusioned they feel they should still go out and give their best or am I expecting too much from these poor, overworked souls?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:It’s not acceptable in any way that half the team have given up. This is their job ffs. There are many punters who pay out of their hard earned wages to watch these players perform and no matter how disillusioned they feel they should still go out and give their best or am I expecting too much from these poor, overworked souls?
Expecting too much. Our competitive season was over by the end of Jan. With nothing to play for minds already turn to the summer and next season, naturally. Last thing any player wants is to sustain an injury in a meaningless match, so it is understandable that the longer the season went on the more players would be looking to ensure they don’t get injured. Both players and manager start using the games to experiment and practice new things and try and learn things before the window opens.

It is so rare during the last 20 years that we have gone three months with nothing to play for that I think, we as a fan base, have forgotten what it’s like.
Ihearye
Have to say the thought of GJ sitting down mid season working out how many matches he can afford to risk losing is absurd. It's not like a tap of water where he can turn performances on and off. After al we finished less than two defeats from relegation. Are you trying to tell us that was all part of a calculated risk as he experimented? Nonsense. What happened to its our cup final? What happened to players having to prove they were worth a new contract.
If your thoughts or even part of them are true GJ is a truly great manager and should also give up managing and spend his retirement earning a fortune betting on L2 football results. As you seem to think he knew what was going to happen after Christmas and took the chance to experiment
Robin
I recall the same thing - only worse happening under Yates in his second season which almost ended in relegation, we had a similar wobble in his third season too which cost us automatic promotion. My point being it happens a lot to many clubs and managers.
vickeryc
Ihearye - I don't think RCS said GJ knew, through a crystal ball, how the season was going to pan out. He was simply saying that once the club got itself into mid-table "no man's land", there was nothing to play for in terms of play-offs or relegation.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:Have to say the thought of GJ sitting down mid season working out how many matches he can afford to risk losing is absurd. It's not like a tap of water where he can turn performances on and off. After al we finished less than two defeats from relegation. Are you trying to tell us that was all part of a calculated risk as he experimented? Nonsense. What happened to its our cup final? What happened to players having to prove they were worth a new contract.
If your thoughts or even part of them are true GJ is a truly great manager and should also give up managing and spend his retirement earning a fortune betting on L2 football results. As you seem to think he knew what was going to happen after Christmas and took the chance to experiment
Not in the slightest am I suggesting that.

Players subconsciously ease off when there is nothing to play for. Gary’s comments on ‘cup final’ and players proving themselves were to motivate players and stop them easing up too much during the three month trudge through dead rubbers.

Just natural parts of football, nothing calculated or deliberate.

As for experimenting, again, normal to do during the last 5-10 games. Changing formation at Crewe to see how players coped. Mind games with Boyle. Playing Lloyd and Lovett. Putting Cranston and Illias in the same starting line up, etc.

Nothing new to any other season and will be happening at the 70% of clubs in the Football League who’s season ended weeks ago and who have moved on to to thinking about and preparing for next season. It would be negligent of a club and manager, in a mid table position, to not start using the end of season games to inform decisions and plans for the summer and next term!
Alf
It is important for the manager, the players and the club in general to finish the season on a ‘high’.
The club wants the fans to be optimistic at the end of the season to encourage sale of season tickets. Players, both going and staying should be keen to finish the season well with an eye on next season.
There is no manager out there who doesn’t want to win the last game of the season.
Talking about our competitive season being over in January is sheer nonsense and is a statement made with hindsight. At the time it was generally felt that a good winning run could get us a play off place.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:It is important for the manager, the players and the club in general to finish the season on a ‘high’.
The club wants the fans to be optimistic at the end of the season to encourage sale of season tickets. Players, both going and staying should be keen to finish the season well with an eye on next season.
There is no manager out there who doesn’t want to win the last game of the season.
Talking about our competitive season being over in January is sheer nonsense and is a statement made with hindsight. At the time it was generally felt that a good winning run could get us a play off place.
At the start of January a run for play offs was definitely on the cards. Then our home games vs Newport, Barnet and Yeovil happened, so by end of Jan it was clear such a run would not happen.
Alf
Clear to you maybe but as I said, with the benefit of hindsight we can all be experts.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:Clear to you maybe but as I said, with the benefit of hindsight we can all be experts.
No hindsight involved. At the turn of the year plenty said that if we won the three home games we would be right in the mix and when we failed (abjectly against poor sides) the same said that was our chance blown. Even Gary pretty much admitted it after we blew the home games.
Ihearye
Alf wrote:Clear to you maybe but as I said, with the benefit of hindsight we can all be experts.
No hindsight involved. At the turn of the year plenty said that if we won the three home games we would be right in the mix and when we failed (abjectly against poor sides) the same said that was our chance blown. Even Gary pretty much admitted it after we blew the home games.
But quite a difference from recognising that paly offs are not a realistic possibility. To your assertion, that once that was obvious the manager and players embarked on a drawn out spell of experimentation and non trying. As we sank nearer and nearer the relegation zone. Let us not forget, we only finished 5 points clear, a win for those below us and a loss for us would have seen a very different picture. This is why I believe it is absurd to say we nonchalantly, experimented and put our feet up until the end of the season. As has been said, with hindsight great, but to believe it was all part of some great plan ????? really ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
But quite a difference from recognising that paly offs are not a realistic possibility. To your assertion, that once that was obvious the manager and players embarked on a drawn out spell of experimentation and non trying. As we sank nearer and nearer the relegation zone. Let us not forget, we only finished 5 points clear, a win for those below us and a loss for us would have seen a very different picture. This is why I believe it is absurd to say we nonchalantly, experimented and put our feet up until the end of the season. As has been said, with hindsight great, but to believe it was all part of some great plan ????? really ?
As per earlier posts I am not suggesting that.
THECHOIRBOY
Well judging by Cranstons twitter post a minute ago, he's been released