Holman & Munns

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

little mo
Holman signs for Aldershot. Munns leaves Pools by mutual consent.
Robin
Sad to see, both looked like very good football league players during our title winning season.
horlickfanclub
Why is it sad? Dan Holman is back at a club that appreciated him before and Munnsy gets a pay off and a move nearer home.Both has a season of injuries and illness so getting a new club is good news for both.
Robin
Has Holman played for Aldershot before? I feel it's sad because neither has fulfilled their potential.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sad for Dan Holman as he was an in-form striker growing in stature and ready to seize his opportunity before being scythed down by injury never to recover. Had he not got injured I genuinely believe he could have been our first one million pound sale after 25 goals in L2.

Munns was never going to make it in the men’s game. He only did well for us because our side was so much stronger than the Conference that we could win most games comfortably with 9 or 10 men so we could carry Munns, protect him, and ensure he always had space to do his usual shimmy and pass. Even then during the nitty gritty of the mid-season winter he didn’t feature much as he couldn’t cope with the pitches and shin-kickers in the poor weather.
paperboy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Sad for Dan Holman as he was an in-form striker growing in stature and ready to seize his opportunity before being scythed down by injury never to recover. Had he not got injured I genuinely believe he could have been our first one million pound sale after 25 goals in L2.

Munns was never going to make it in the men’s game. He only did well for us because our side was so much stronger than the Conference that we could win most games comfortably with 9 or 10 men so we could carry Munns, protect him, and ensure he always had space to do his usual shimmy and pass. Even then during the nitty gritty of the mid-season winter he didn’t feature much as he couldn’t cope with the pitches and shin-kickers in the poor weather.
Yes, pretty much agree RCS.

I remember that when we won the Conference we were worried that a club would come and try to take Holman from us.
The Grimsby striker from that season,Padraig Amond, has carried that through to League 2 with reasonable success whilst Holman who looked the better player has not.
Hopefully a good pre-season and good luck with injuries will see him back to form.
Artemis
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Sad for Dan Holman as he was an in-form striker growing in stature and ready to seize his opportunity before being scythed down by injury never to recover. Had he not got injured I genuinely believe he could have been our first one million pound sale after 25 goals in L2.

Belief vs evidence. Whilst you are of course, perfectly entitled to your belief, the evidence of Holman's track record in L2 with Colchester, then us strongly suggests otherwise. Like Dale Watkins - scored goals for fun outside the EFL, never quite cut it at the higher level.

Good luck at Aldershot. I genuinely hope you'll be back amongst the goals again with them.
Ihearye
Artemis wrote:

Belief vs evidence. Whilst you are of course, perfectly entitled to your belief, the evidence of Holman's track record in L2 with Colchester, then us strongly suggests otherwise. Like Dale Watkins - scored goals for fun outside the EFL, never quite cut it at the higher level.

Good luck at Aldershot. I genuinely hope you'll be back amongst the goals again with them.
Also has to be said, his loan stints at a lower level didn't add to the belief or evidence
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
As stated, his career has been irrecoverably damaged. I doubt he will ever get to the form he had for the six months before signing for us and his time with us before injury and will drift into early retirement with not too many more appearances or goals. That’s why it is a shame as far as I am concerned.
Shade
Speaking of ex-players from that era, Lee Bowyer has plumped for Dillon Phillips in goal today for Charlton at Sunderland.