Retained list

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Confirmed here: http://bit.ly/CTFCRetainedList2018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
So after the build up there are zero real surprises.

Also would be nice of the club to post this on here too, they seem to have gone super quiet recently.
Ihearye
Wonder if Rhys can play RB?
Ihearye
All joking apart, there is a lot of work to be done. Of those listed, it could be argued only 4 would be regular starts in a play off pushing L2 team – Atangana, Boyle, Forster, Flinders. That is assuming Mo goes
Nesty
The following 11 players are under contract for next season: Nigel Atangana, Kevin Dawson, Matthew Bower, Brian Graham, Mohamed Eisa, Rhys Lovett, George Lloyd, Will Boyle, Jordon Forster, Scott Flinders and recent signing Alex Addai.

I have bolded the first teamers (5 in total) but hope that Graham and Forster can step up to the mark, whilst the other four (Bower, Lovett, Lloyd and Addai) look likely to be bench material.With Winchester possibly off...... we need around 11 more players at least. Starting with two or three full backs !!!!!!
Ihearye
If you where picking on current form I wouldn't include dawson
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Forster should be a guaranteed starter. Was easily looking one of the best in the division before his injury. He and Boyle will be decent pairing.
Fuller
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Forster should be a guaranteed starter. Was easily looking one of the best in the division before his injury. He and Boyle will be decent pairing.
We need genuine FL experience at the back. Look at the impact Elliott & Bennett had, both had done it all.

Boyle & Forster are both young lads still. Grimes was just not good enough. Moore and Rodon good lads but just starting out.

We FL need experience. Gary will sort it hopefully.
Artemis
Flinders, Forster, Boyle, Atangana, Dawson, Graham will form the spine of the team next season. Well, except the two that have apparently been told they don't feature in plans for next season so can go. But personally, I hope they all stay around and form the foundation of an improved season.
Ihearye
No harm but if the question what's a good spine for next year, I don't think dawson or graham are the answer. Squad material
Robin
Artemis wrote:Flinders, Forster, Boyle, Atangana, Dawson, Graham will form the spine of the team next season. Well, except the two that have apparently been told they don't feature in plans for next season so can go. But personally, I hope they all stay around and form the foundation of an improved season.
Not sure I'd agree with that Mullins and Williams (if they both go through) will definitely form the spine of hte team.
Ihearye
Think it is worth remembering as we plan in our heads, that some decent people have lost their jobs. Never nice
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:Think it is worth remembering as we plan in our heads, that some decent people have lost their jobs. Never nice
Yet when in post the forum likes to say how bad they are and need to be got rid of!
Ihearye
Indeed. You can want what is best for the team and sadly that comes at someone's expense. Not entirely their fault they found themselves playing at too high a standard for them. But hopefully the experience will leave them in a good place for next season
vickeryc
Ihearye wrote:No harm but if the question what's a good spine for next year, I don't think dawson or graham are the answer. Squad material
I think Dawson is a good player whose form dipped during the latter part of the season, but he demonstrated plenty before then to suggest he's more than capable of contributing to the spine of the team. As we know, Graham has suffered injuries, but when he did have a decent run of games he too looked capable of being a positive force.
Ihearye
vickeryc wrote:
Ihearye wrote:No harm but if the question what's a good spine for next year, I don't think dawson or graham are the answer. Squad material
I think Dawson is a good player whose form dipped during the latter part of the season, but he demonstrated plenty before then to suggest he's more than capable of contributing to the spine of the team. As we know, Graham has suffered injuries, but when he did have a decent run of games he too looked capable of being a positive force.
generally agree with you. However, still question if they are the two you would build a team around, as opposed to good to have around
Artemis
I'm sure I read somewhere that of the two of the contracted players were told they didn't feature in plans for next season, so could move on. It can't be any of the younger lads (Bower, Lloyd, or Lovett) as two of them have great potential and therefore value, then its two of what I would call the spine of the team for next season. But no mention of it in the retained list - so perhaps I misread it or it was just speculation on someone's part.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:I'm sure I read somewhere that of the two of the contracted players were told they didn't feature in plans for next season, so could move on. It can't be any of the younger lads (Bower, Lloyd, or Lovett) as two of them have great potential and therefore value, then its two of what I would call the spine of the team for next season. But no mention of it in the retained list - so perhaps I misread it or it was just speculation on someone's part.
I am sure I read it too. But I guess it has to be done a certain way. They are retained as to release them we would have to be pay out the contract, but may have been told that they should find another club who wants them and they can go on a free.

Do clubs still publish transfer lists these days?
Ihearye
I assumed JC was one of the two? Was he still in contract when told he would not be offered a new deal?