Jamie Grimes

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Could be heading north of the border: http://bit.ly/SPLInterest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
About his level that and conference.
horlickfanclub
So Boyle and Forster are Conference level Robin? Are Celtic,Rangers and Aberdeen?
Robin
Those three clubs aren't but much of the rest of that league is.
Ihearye
Robin wrote:About his level that and conference.
SPL L2 and conference all the same level?
Robin
I believe the gap between Lg2 and conference has increased a lot in recent years, bottom of SPL on par with conference.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I believe the gap between Lg2 and conference has increased a lot in recent years, bottom of SPL on par with conference.
Spot on.
longmover
interesting how other teams see things in players that have been released
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:interesting how other teams see things in players that have been released
Even if Gary did rate Grimes the pressure from fans to get rid of him made him staying with us untenable.
kags
Must have a good agent :lol:
longmover
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
longmover wrote:interesting how other teams see things in players that have been released
Even if Gary did rate Grimes the pressure from fans to get rid of him made him staying with us untenable.
Agree very much the sacrifice to appease the S/T's, still think with an older head next to him he is league 2 standard.
CTFC03
Grimes isn't good enough for this level that said I did see a couple of good games from him which does kind of make me think if he was next to an experienced head would he be better or next to a CB who was blessed with pace to get him out of trouble, we'll never know but unfortunately the bad games from have outweighed the good ones so the right decision has been made here.
Ihearye
Highly experienced and respected manager terminates contract of player to appease fans? I don't think so.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
Highly experienced and respected manager terminates contract of player to appease fans? I don't think so.
Why not? If fans a) make a player less confident and play worse, b) create negativity at the ground or c) stop buying tickets then the logical and sensible decision is to release the player, as much for the player’s own as appeasing fans.
Lord Elpuz
It is the mentality of some football fans to find someone to blame when a team is on a run of poor form. Defenders are very prone to blame because a mistake by a defender will result in a goal scoring opportunity for the opposition.

In 2016/17 Jordan Cranston could do no right in the eyes of some fans, who wanted rid. He came back stronger and started the new season so well he was an automatic choice for selection, but was cruelly robbed by injury.

Jamie Grimes has not had that opportunity at Cheltenham, unfortunately, but other clubs - including Stevenage in League 2, have shown interest in him. I don’t see the point of some posts which seem to imply he’s no better than National League standard. He scored goals for CTFC last season that helped us secure 7 points in League 2. Without those points we would have been relegated. Jamie therefore more than played his part in keeping CTFC in League 2.

I hope he secures a place in a Club that gives him a good standard of football, he deserves a chance. I hope the fans of that Club welcome him, because he’s a genuinely nice guy who wants to improve and the season he’s just had with Cheltenham will definitely make him stronger. Who knows, he might make the sort of start that Cranston made at the start of 2017/18.

Good luck Jamie, and thanks for helping us stay in The Football League. We owe you.
Ihearye
Maybe in all that conspiracy theory, there is just the smallest possibility that he thought Grimes is a 17th place L2 player but not a play off level player.
But you are probably right, it is because some fans didn't rate him
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:Maybe in all that conspiracy theory, there is just the smallest possibility that he thought Grimes is a 17th place L2 player but not a play off level player.
But you are probably right, it is because some fans didn't rate him
Not conspiracy, just a normal part of football that every window some players need to move on for reasons other than ability.
Sprout Picker
Would have been interesting to see how he coped with Forster alongside him. His mistakes tended to be costly but I don't think he was anywhere near as bad as some make him out to be.

Good luck to him at his new club, wherever he ends up.
swellingsdownbelow
Thanks Jamie for playing at CTFC last season an good luck in the future.

Sad to say there are a few dismissive and ungrateful posters on this site. Michael Ihiekwe received similar treatment a few season back when on loan here......glad to say he took little notice and I see today, despite the misfortune of an own goal, is in the Rotherham side vying to reach The Championship, via the play offs.
Shade
Grimes isn't a kid. He won't get better. He'd never played in the League before this season and, unfortunately, it became obvious why. It is easy to find "someone to blame" when they make as many stupid errors as he did, from the ridiculous red card v Exeter and air kick v FGR to completely losing his man at countless corners and crosses.
Ihearye
apols RCS, I thought you were joking, but you actually are serious. THE reason GJ got rid of Grimes is because he wanted to improve ST sales. I wounder if he has considered announcing good signings may have a more positive impact on ST sales?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:apols RCS, I thought you were joking, but you actually are serious. THE reason GJ got rid of Grimes is because he wanted to improve ST sales. I wounder if he has considered announcing good signings may have a more positive impact on ST sales?
Not saying it was the reason. You will see my first post on the subject opened with “even if”. I.e. suggesting a hypothetical scenario and option.

Never once said or suggested it was the reason or a reason.
vickeryc
Lord Elpuz wrote:It is the mentality of some football fans to find someone to blame when a team is on a run of poor form. Defenders are very prone to blame because a mistake by a defender will result in a goal scoring opportunity for the opposition.

In 2016/17 Jordan Cranston could do no right in the eyes of some fans, who wanted rid. He came back stronger and started the new season so well he was an automatic choice for selection, but was cruelly robbed by injury.

Jamie Grimes has not had that opportunity at Cheltenham, unfortunately, but other clubs - including Stevenage in League 2, have shown interest in him. I don’t see the point of some posts which seem to imply he’s no better than National League standard. He scored goals for CTFC last season that helped us secure 7 points in League 2. Without those points we would have been relegated. Jamie therefore more than played his part in keeping CTFC in League 2.

I hope he secures a place in a Club that gives him a good standard of football, he deserves a chance. I hope the fans of that Club welcome him, because he’s a genuinely nice guy who wants to improve and the season he’s just had with Cheltenham will definitely make him stronger. Who knows, he might make the sort of start that Cranston made at the start of 2017/18.

Good luck Jamie, and thanks for helping us stay in The Football League. We owe you.
As ever, Lord E you're the voice of reason. You are right to point out Jamie Grimes' strengths (he did have some) to balance the regular reminders about his weaknesses. His goals were important and he was a wholehearted player who always gave everything.

Unfortunately, his errors tended to be very visible and there's no doubt they cost us quite a few points. Like Lord E, I do feel a bit for Grimes. He probably isn't L2 standard, but that wasn't his fault. He stepped up to the plate when thrown into the deep end and he never stinted on effort, which is all you can ask of your players. Few posters have commended him when he's had a good game - and he did have a decent number when he was one of our better players. Sadly, though, he did have mistakes in him when exposed by decent strikers.

It is always unfortunate when groups of so-called supporters single out players at matches. It is hardly morale-boosting for the player concerned and is likely to worsen their performance to the obvious detriment of the team. Jamie Grimes is doubtless painfully aware of this.
Ihearye
vickeryc wrote:
Lord Elpuz wrote:It is the mentality of some football fans to find someone to blame when a team is on a run of poor form. Defenders are very prone to blame because a mistake by a defender will result in a goal scoring opportunity for the opposition.

As ever, Lord E you're the voice of reason. You are right to point out Jamie Grimes' strengths (he did have some) to balance the regular reminders about his weaknesses. His goals were important and he was a wholehearted player who always gave everything.

Unfortunately, his errors tended to be very visible and there's no doubt they cost us quite a few points. Like Lord E, I do feel a bit for Grimes. He probably isn't L2 standard, but that wasn't his fault. He stepped up to the plate when thrown into the deep end and he never stinted on effort, which is all you can ask of your players. Few posters have commended him when he's had a good game - and he did have a decent number when he was one of our better players. Sadly, though, he did have mistakes in him when exposed by decent strikers.

It is always unfortunate when groups of so-called supporters single out players at matches. It is hardly morale-boosting for the player concerned and is likely to worsen their performance to the obvious detriment of the team. Jamie Grimes is doubtless painfully aware of this.
>

. Hope we now ban 'so called' supporters publishing ratings after matches. Obviously real supporters don;t do this.

. I presume when he had a good game his ratings reflected that. The fact is his 'good' ganes were the ones he did what a defender is meant to do.

. totally agree that it is not his fault he found himself in L2 when he probab;ly is not at that level at the moment

. To attribute 7 points to him is stretching reality a bit. one was 3-1 while another was a 2-2 draw. His 1-) goal was indeed 3 points he earned.

. If I had the time I could look back to hpw many points his individual mistakes cost us.

. Fact is that if we had 11 good players we would not have finished 17th. They would not have been released by CTFC. Of the CB on our books Grimes is the one that has ben let go. GJ must have decided that for a reason (maybe it was to boost ST sales).

. Cranston was poor in many games, yes he did start this year better. Is he here next season ? no. We saw what a decent L2 LB looks like in Illias. Would be an interesting stat to see how many free kicks he gave away near the left of the penalty area as opposed to JC.

. It is a nonsense to say supporters can't comment on poor performances. Every supporter in teh land has opinions. Or are we to praise everybody irrespective
CTFC03
I don't get what people see in Cranston, he made us look like a soft touch, yes he improved slightly but how many needless fouls, bookings & penalties did he give away?!

Look at Ilias, quiet and steady, that is what we need next season somebody who can fulfil that role, signing Ilias would be good but next season we have to be better from the back and from the start of the season.

I wish both the best of luck, they had good games just not enough hence why they are out looking for another club.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
vickeryc wrote:

>

. Hope we now ban 'so called' supporters publishing ratings after matches. Obviously real supporters don;t do this.

. I presume when he had a good game his ratings reflected that. The fact is his 'good' ganes were the ones he did what a defender is meant to do.

. totally agree that it is not his fault he found himself in L2 when he probab;ly is not at that level at the moment

. To attribute 7 points to him is stretching reality a bit. one was 3-1 while another was a 2-2 draw. His 1-) goal was indeed 3 points he earned.

. If I had the time I could look back to hpw many points his individual mistakes cost us.

. Fact is that if we had 11 good players we would not have finished 17th. They would not have been released by CTFC. Of the CB on our books Grimes is the one that has ben let go. GJ must have decided that for a reason (maybe it was to boost ST sales).

. Cranston was poor in many games, yes he did start this year better. Is he here next season ? no. We saw what a decent L2 LB looks like in Illias. Would be an interesting stat to see how many free kicks he gave away near the left of the penalty area as opposed to JC.

. It is a nonsense to say supporters can't comment on poor performances. Every supporter in teh land has opinions. Or are we to praise everybody irrespective
Perfectly fine and encouraged to comment on players on a forum, in the pub, on 606, to the people next to you on the terrace. That is part and parcel of football and why we love the game.

The issue Lord E was speaking out against - as clearly evident by him saying about damaging player performance - is the abuse and mocking at games. That doesn’t help anyone and last I understood was that fans who actively hinder their own players performance probably shouldn’t be called fans or supporters.
vickeryc
Ihearye - you've misrepresented what I said. I didn't say players are above fair criticism on here - I was referring to a small section of supporters at games who boo our own players. That's idiotic in my view and does nothing to help the team they supposedly support. I was therefore baffled by your cryptic comment about publishing ratings after matches.

I'm sure you're right that the number of points given away through Jamie Grimes' errors significantly exceeded the points gained by his goals. A simplistic but tangible way of measuring a player's value to the team I suppose. However, that wasn't a point I was making.

Regarding Ilias - I totally agree that he is a class player who has improved with each game and would be a fantastic signing if he could be snared. In fact, I started a thread on Ilias several weeks ago which lauded his performances.