hypothetical question

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Purely hypothetical but if GJ lands the five reported transfer targets and we add that to the existing squad what would people see as a realistic target for next season?

For me GJ has to achieve a top half finish to keep his job but if he lands these targets and we retain the current squad I think we could challenge for play-offs.
Ihearye
I don't think our 'target' should be getting to a position where GJ can keep his job.
Last year, we were rebuilding for a go at the play off places and that failed miserably. And as a word of caution, we were also being linked with experience etc. early days in May.

Am hoping that this year rumour turns to reality and GJ gets his 'wanted' men from his A list and that he gets them early. If this happens, then I think a play off place should be an acceptable target.

If we start to go down to the B or C list and recruiting mid July, then mid table may be a good result for us. I.e. any position that does not see us relegated.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Who are the five?

Depends if we keep Mo and Winchester.

If Mo is sold then we won’t make play offs. That is why I think selling is a bad move.
Robin
Five reported targets reported by JP:
Broom - Bristol Rovers
Mullins - Luton
Williams & Alcock - Doncaster
Hussey - Sheff Utd
Shade
Williams & Alcock sound like a hardware store on the corner of a northern street.
THECHOIRBOY
And based on that I would say top half. Yes some good players but we always forget that other teams are improving too.

If we lose Mo and Winchester that's a big deficit in quality and whilst you would hope we were more solid with those 5 you still question where the goals come from.
Robin
Well Mullins is now confirmed can't help but feel if we had him last season we would have finished a few places higher in the table.
Shade
Robin wrote:Well Mullins is now confirmed can't help but feel if we had him last season we would have finished a few places higher in the table.
We could say that about any number of players but the fact is he was at Luton and they wanted him.
Fuller
Shade wrote:Williams & Alcock sound like a hardware store on the corner of a northern street.
Yes it does, and it would probably be open all hours.....
Robin
Shade wrote:
Robin wrote:Well Mullins is now confirmed can't help but feel if we had him last season we would have finished a few places higher in the table.
We could say that about any number of players but the fact is he was at Luton and they wanted him.
My point was more that a lack of experienced defender was probably our achilles heel all too often last season. If we had such a player we would have finished a few places higher in my opinion.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
Shade wrote:
My point was more that a lack of experienced defender was probably our achilles heel all too often last season. If we had such a player we would have finished a few places higher in my opinion.
Nobel prize winning post 2018
Ihearye
Robin wrote:
Shade wrote:
Indeed Robin, but some argue that our CB were OK and GJ didn't wany to let one of them go. Experience and league experience and brought in early. Can't fault that logic