Best type of strike partner for Mo?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Even without the potential £200k from the chairman we have £100,000+ from the sale of Pell his wages and another £180,000 form Luke Thomas move to West Ham. Obviously it's not a huge amount of money but you would hope we could afford one of these two if GJ identified them as a top target.
Alf
.....or whoever is manager?
Robin
You think we are sacking GJ?
horlickfanclub
There is always hope.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:There is always hope.
:lol: :lol:

Who do we listen to, Mullins and others who only want to join us because of GJ, or the likes of Horlick...

Absolute muppet.
Si Robin
Robin wrote:Akinde is the more realistic of the two in my opinion, Barnet are a small club and likely to be desperate for the cash. Chesterfield may be able to play hard ball but I would both would want small six figure fees.
Barnet will not be desperate for cash - they get an awful lot of money from their stadium and facilities.

In fact, of the two, I'd say Barnet appointing John Still makes them much bigger favourites for promotion next season than Chesterfield. I daresay, they should be overall favourites.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:
Robin wrote:Akinde is the more realistic of the two in my opinion, Barnet are a small club and likely to be desperate for the cash. Chesterfield may be able to play hard ball but I would both would want small six figure fees.
Barnet will not be desperate for cash - they get an awful lot of money from their stadium and facilities.

In fact, of the two, I'd say Barnet appointing John Still makes them much bigger favourites for promotion next season than Chesterfield. I daresay, they should be overall favourites.
Chesterfield a mess. Fans want the owner gone and he wants out but was asking too much for the club - and he knows he needs to get them back up as a going concern to be able to sell. The Allen appointment should see the club home - getting Dennis off the wage bill will allow MJA to bring in a few non-league grafters. Any transfer fee a bonus. To exploit Chesterfield’s weakness we should seek to agree terms with Dennis and his agent off the record first then make a notional four or five figure bid before any other offers are made. Then agitation from KD/agent and the carrot of freeing up budget early on in the window could be too much for the troubled Spirerites to resist.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:To exploit Chesterfield’s weakness we should seek to agree terms with Dennis and his agent off the record first then make a notional four or five figure bid before any other offers are made. Then agitation from KD/agent and the carrot of freeing up budget early on in the window could be too much for the troubled Spirerites to resist.
That's against the rules, isn't it?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:To exploit Chesterfield’s weakness we should seek to agree terms with Dennis and his agent off the record first then make a notional four or five figure bid before any other offers are made. Then agitation from KD/agent and the carrot of freeing up budget early on in the window could be too much for the troubled Spirerites to resist.
That's against the rules, isn't it?
If reported, and then if the authorities decide to pay attention to reports / there is proof (almost impossible to prove!). This happens all the time, is part of the game these days, and no doubt P&G with their experience and contacts will be experts at doing it.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Si Robin wrote:

Chesterfield a mess. Fans want the owner gone and he wants out but was asking too much for the club - and he knows he needs to get them back up as a going concern to be able to sell. The Allen appointment should see the club home - getting Dennis off the wage bill will allow MJA to bring in a few non-league grafters. Any transfer fee a bonus. To exploit Chesterfield’s weakness we should seek to agree terms with Dennis and his agent off the record first then make a notional four or five figure bid before any other offers are made. Then agitation from KD/agent and the carrot of freeing up budget early on in the window could be too much for the troubled Spirerites to resist.
But will Chesterfield consider that to be a serious offer?! ;) :lol:
Robin
Apparently Lincoln are in the hunt for Dennis.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sprout Picker wrote:
But will Chesterfield consider that to be a serious offer?! ;) :lol:
Any offer is serious for team on the financial precipice, where the player is desperate to leave. That is the beauty of our situation.
Ihearye

Who do we listen to, Mullins and others who only want to join us because of GJ, or the likes of Horlick...

Absolute muppet.
The ONLY reason? Are you saying that if GJ was managing in the conference, that is where Mullins would be heading despite having offers from a CTFC with someone else as manager ? Surprised we did not take him on in 2016 then if his main consideration is playing for GJ, instead of settling for Luton. I am sure GJ would have found a role for him. You do write some tosh sometimes.
Del Boy
Ihearye wrote:

Absolute muppet.
The ONLY reason? Are you saying that if GJ was managing in the conference, that is where Mullins would be heading despite having offers from a CTFC with someone else as manager ? Surprised we did not take him on in 2016 then if his main consideration is playing for GJ, instead of settling for Luton. I am sure GJ would have found a role for him. You do write some tosh sometimes.
"sometimes"
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:

Absolute muppet.
Good point. I should reword “massively import” factor.

And of course I was speaking (as I mostly do) in terms of ceteris paribus and the current situation. Obviously if we were non-league or Premier League or whatever the situation would be different and other factors would be more important as you suggest, but we aren’t so they’re not.
horlickfanclub
Regency often bangs on about "balance". Balance to him is agreeing with his opinion which is based on seeing a handful of games a season . I am quite pleased to be called a Muppet by him. There is more balance ,reason and truth in the Muppet movies than a months full of fairy tale posts.
Del Boy
horlickfanclub wrote:Regency often bangs on about "balance". Balance to him is agreeing with his opinion which is based on seeing a handful of games a season . I am quite pleased to be called a Muppet by him. There is more balance ,reason and truth in the Muppet movies than a months full of fairy tale posts.
He might only go to a handful of games but he's clearly got a very good view of the others from his bathroom.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Regency often bangs on about "balance". Balance to him is agreeing with his opinion which is based on seeing a handful of games a season . I am quite pleased to be called a Muppet by him. There is more balance ,reason and truth in the Muppet movies than a months full of fairy tale posts.
I branded you a muppet as you have been myopic in your dislike of Gary near enough since he arrived. Others think he does no wrong and can’t be criticised in similar extremity.

I would call balance recognising that last season Gary got a lot wrong and couldn’t have complained if sacked - I myself said if we lost to Barnet had to go. Butq also recognising his strengths and what good he can bring in terms of contacts and experience, as evidenced by Mullins’ comments.

I hope Mullins is correct in his assessment of Gary’s passion and our promotion hopes. If it is not looking that way after a month or two then I would agree a change might be a good idea.

As for not going for games - I am glad! Nearly all of the ten or so I did get to were awful, with poor play and poor management. Another reason why I am not confident Gary can deliver and has to show that he can over the summer and at the start of the season.
vickeryc
To be fair, Horlick, you are a muppet when you come up with comments like "there is always hope" (that GJ gets the sack).
horlickfanclub
Your opinion Vickery . Did you enjoy our home defeats?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Your opinion Vickery . Did you enjoy our home defeats?
Probably. Vickery is one of those I class as thinking Gary is God and can do no wrong.
vickeryc
horlickfanclub wrote:Your opinion Vickery . Did you enjoy our home defeats?
Probably. Vickery is one of those I class as thinking Gary is God and can do no wrong.
Yes, it's my opinion that unhelpful comments like Horlick's serve no useful purpose.

No, of course I didn't enjoy the home defeats, and (my opinion again) I don't think GJ is above criticism; however, it's so easy to blame the manager for everything. A balanced view is required - something that RCS frequently extols in his posts.
horlickfanclub
I dont blame the Manager for everything. In the same way somtimes i even agree with Regency. :)
vickeryc
That's all very reassuring to hear! :D
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Agree with you both!