Thank you Paul Baker

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

drgm
What a credit it is to Paul Baker that the club he hands over to the new chairman is in such a good financial position.
There's even the added bonus of a little bit of extra money coming in to push the club forward.
Paul has sourced a replacement who is enthusiastic, local and has the clubs interests at heart. What an asset to the club Paul Baker has been!

Twenty odd years ago he could have put his talents and money to other uses. He could have put his own interests first. That he chose not to is to his immense credit and
our benefit. The club he leaves behind is unrecognisable from the one he took over in 1997 and is a lasting testament to his drive, energy and commitment.

I remember seeing him occasionally at away games and wanting to shake his hand for all he has done for the club and the town.
I never imagined for a minute that the Robins would ever make to the football league. We were destined only for the very occasional FA cup first round tie
against a 'football league club' to make up for endless years muddling about in non-league. Thanks to him I was happy to stop following the results of local league clubs like Swindon and West Brom because for me, he made Cheltenham Town a club to be proud of, a team worth supporting on it's journey to the football league.

The high's have far outweighed the lows and my favourite memory of his time as Chairman was that unforgettable afternoon at Nene Park. If they hadn't demolished the place I would still be there now, punching the air in an empty stadium.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Tremendous post expressing the sentiment of all CTFC fans.
Ralph
Yep, agree completely
Shade
If those were the words in a big "thank you" card I'm sure we'd all sign it.
Nesty
great post

I sometimes think had I been marooned on a desert island 20 years ago and been rescued yesterday on looking at the internet for the first time my initial surfing would inevitably cause me to gulp at the fact we were in the league and not in the Southern/ Dr Martens league and had at some time won two play off finals, won the FA Trophy and done the double over Leeds Utd.
As a fan I never dreamed we would ever get into the Conference yet alone the EFL as it is now called. Much of that success is down to PB

THANK YOU PAUL
Fuller
Nesty wrote:great post

I sometimes think had I been marooned on a desert island 20 years ago and been rescued yesterday on looking at the internet for the first time my initial surfing would inevitably cause me to gulp at the fact we were in the league and not in the Southern/ Dr Martens league and had at some time won two play off finals, won the FA Trophy and done the double over Leeds Utd.
As a fan I never dreamed we would ever get into the Conference yet alone the EFL as it is now called. Much of that success is down to PB

THANK YOU PAUL
I often think the same Nesty.

PB has done a fantastic job, often in particularly trying circumstances.

Cheltenham Town FC will forever be in his debt for what he has done for our club.
Lord Elpuz
If any Cheltenham fan does not agree 100% with drgm, then they are clearly a Gloucester City fan who forgot the Tigers moved out a year ago ;)
Dave Beesley
Perfect drgm
vickeryc
Yup, agree 100%. A true gent who was (and doubtless still is) totally dedicated to the club.
solihullkev
You will struggle to identify a more selfless chairman in the football league.

A superb servant to the club and town.

Remarkable how young he started and how long he kept going as chairman given his family and other business and political interests.

Top man.
goalpost
The man deserves a Statue outside the ground..
asl
I've always said the new stand should be named after him.
vickeryc
Now that really would be a lasting and appropriate gesture to the man that has really made this club.