Fourth signing confirmed

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
http://bit.ly/FourthSigning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben Tozer! Cracking signing.

Plenty of League experience and in his prime age.

Exactly the type of signing we need.

(Interesting those with the ‘knowledge’ of what deals we have offered to what players didn’t see the need to comment on this one ahead of time.)
Nesty
sounds good, a replacement for Harry Pell and still got 100k in the bank. great news, now to get Winchester to stay
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:sounds good, a replacement for Harry Pell and still got 100k in the bank. great news, now to get Winchester to stay
More than a replacement - an upgrade!
THECHOIRBOY
And has a cracking long throw if I remember correctly!
vickeryc
The spine of the team is getting stronger by the day!
Ihearye
If his injury problems have not seen the best of him, then can be a replacement for Pell, however. I seem to remember him as a grafter rather than for his athletic prowess when he played here(?) May just be my memory. As for the long throw, we can’t score of any kind of set piece, so that gift may be wasted.
However a new strike force may sort that out
Will be very happy if Ben proves himself better than Pell and has an engine to match.
Robin
I'm happy with this signing, adds some physical presence to the spine of the team which is very much needed. I remember him from his Northampton days, not as athletic as Pell but perhaps stronger, can play more defensively and has an excellent long throw.

Also in response to RCS I must admit I hadn't heard anything on this signing.
Robin
How many more signings are we expecting now 3-4 permanent and 2-3 loans to make up the squad? Obviously those numbers change if Eisa, Sellar or Winchester leave.

Two first choice full backs/wing backs and a powerful striker are key.
Shade
Very happy with this signing. One that has actually slightly excited me, after I said a month or two ago that I don't generally get excited by signings until I've seen them play a few times. Well built, pretty tall, good age...and some footballing ability.

Before anyone gets offended, I'm not trying to be clever or anything, but was this signing on anyone's radar or completely out of the blue?
Dave Beesley
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: (Interesting those with the ‘knowledge’ of what deals we have offered to what players didn’t see the need to comment on this one ahead of time.)
That would be nice with all signings. But then, Journo's have to put food on the table like the rest of us :)
Cheltenhamshire10
Decent signing, but after Asa Hall I try and not get excited anymore until they play.
I think the only one that would get me going right know would be Akinde.
joes dad
Mixed reaction on exiles forum
http://www.weareexiles.net/viewtopic.ph ... 76b0e22d96" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
drgm
Also in the same thread:

'I would have loved us to sign Pell , a cracking player at our level'

Funny how some of us are happy to dimiss Pell. He and Winchester will be difficult to replace.
Shade
So you're going on the word of opposition fans that see him maybe twice a season and the odd highlights program over fans that see him for around 23 games or more a season? Pell was nothing more than treading water during the last "frustrating" season and virtually admitted it himself in his final interview. It comes to something when if you mention Pell's name the first thing that springs to my mind is "yellow cards", since we've been back in the League. Sure he had some great times here and we'll never forget them, but there are a LOT more games that will be, and long since have been, forgotten.
CTFC03
I'd be extremely happy if we had Tozer, Pell, Winchester & Atangana competing for places in midfield - I hope we haven't made a mistake with Pell, yes patchy performances have been aplenty but was played out of position a lot.
paperboy
...a little more info below.

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/ ... wo_rivals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote:...a little more info below.

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/ ... wo_rivals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice to be the club that benefits from a player turning down a contract and wanting to move.
drgm
Shade wrote:So you're going on the word of opposition fans that see him maybe twice a season and the odd highlights program over fans that see him for around 23 games or more a season? Pell was nothing more than treading water during the last "frustrating" season and virtually admitted it himself in his final interview. It comes to something when if you mention Pell's name the first thing that springs to my mind is "yellow cards", since we've been back in the League. Sure he had some great times here and we'll never forget them, but there are a LOT more games that will be, and long since have been, forgotten.
The most telling fact is that another team at our level is prepared to shell out a six figure fee for someone you describe
as 'just treading water'. Think about that for a moment.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
drgm wrote:
Shade wrote:So you're going on the word of opposition fans that see him maybe twice a season and the odd highlights program over fans that see him for around 23 games or more a season? Pell was nothing more than treading water during the last "frustrating" season and virtually admitted it himself in his final interview. It comes to something when if you mention Pell's name the first thing that springs to my mind is "yellow cards", since we've been back in the League. Sure he had some great times here and we'll never forget them, but there are a LOT more games that will be, and long since have been, forgotten.
The most telling fact is that another team at our level is prepared to shell out a six figure fee for someone you describe
as 'just treading water'. Think about that for a moment.
Pell is a decent player however it wasn’t working here and it was right for both parties to move on. He was treading water here and I hope it works out better at Colchester and he starts powering through the water or jumps out or whatever the opposite of treading water here.

That’s football. Sometimes players just stop fitting into a side or it feels stale. Doesn’t mean they aren’t good, just that it needs freshening up.
drgm
Or maybe Pell got fed up with being played out of position.
He was settled here. If we played to his strengths he would probably still be here. Should
have done more to keep him in my view and I'm not talking about more money. Build a team around
him and Atangana and we could have gone places
Ben Tozer an adequate replacement -we shall see
Shade
drgm wrote:Or maybe Pell got fed up with being played out of position.
He was settled here. If we played to his strengths he would probably still be here. Should
have done more to keep him in my view and I'm not talking about more money.
That's rubbish. Pell admitted that he was "disappointed" not to go to Blackpool last summer, and the only reason he didn't go was because the club were a mess and he thought we were better place for him at the time.

From the Echo: "Is there a pattern there then of making impact at clubs before tailing off?
Maybe, yes. I’d like to be a player that will be somewhere for 10 years, but when it comes to transfer windows I’ve always been linked with other clubs. That is obviously quite good for me, but it can be frustrating if you don’t go. I have no doubt in my ability to go to Colchester and do well. "

We had no chance of keeping him through a second summer of speculation.
kiaora84
have done more to keep him in my view and I'm not talking about more money. Build a team around
I really don’t get your negativity already. On his day, Pell is a brilliant L2 player. I still remember the first time I saw him playing at WR for Hereford and he tore us apart. I always remembered him after that, wishing we had that sort of a player.

His form, which he even stated in an interview with JP, has tailed off at every club he’s been at. Probably why he seems to move every two years (or three in this case).

It’s also been previously publicised that he was quite keen on a move back to Essex.

The deal suited all parties and was absolutely the correct decision.

I like Harry. He was great for the club, however I think he will be missed off the field more than on it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Pell and Nige in the middle and I would not have renewed. The reason he played out of position is because Nige is better than him in the defensive solid role. So either out of position or on the bench - both not ideal so time to move on.

He may have been settled but that is different from gelling and fitting into the sideways it evolves.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
kiaora84 wrote:
I really don’t get your negativity already. On his day, Pell is a brilliant L2 player. I still remember the first time I saw him playing at WR for Hereford and he tore us apart. I always remembered him after that, wishing we had that sort of a player.

His form, which he even stated in an interview with JP, has tailed off at every club he’s been at. Probably why he seems to move every two years (or three in this case).

It’s also been previously publicised that he was quite keen on a move back to Essex.

The deal suited all parties and was absolutely the correct decision.

I like Harry. He was great for the club, however I think he will be missed off the field more than on it.
Some will use whatever they can as en excuse to criticise Gary and the club. Inventing evidence to support their agenda, rather than forming a view based on evidence.