Signing number five

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Is close: http://bit.ly/NewSigningFive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
paperboy
More good news in one day....and number six is imminent according to Gary as he's off on his hols soon.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Keep ‘em coming.

(Yet another one the people ‘posting in good faith’ seemed unaware of...)
Ihearye
Hope he can play RB, we will be ending up with a team of midfielders :)
Shade
I wonder if any of these are Winchester's replacement, they're being signed to try and convince him this is the place to stay.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:Hope he can play RB, we will be ending up with a team of midfielders :)
Including Winchester this lad will be our seventh midfielder. Still one short of the eight required for a complete squad
drgm
Still no right back, or left back for that matter. Not impressed. Seems like a lot of activity
without strategy. Going to be a long season. At least I can pick and choose my games
CTFCfan99
drgm wrote:Still no right back, or left back for that matter. Not impressed. Seems like a lot of activity
without strategy. Going to be a long season. At least I can pick and choose my games
You are joking right? Or are you genuinely upset we haven't signed a full-back yet despite it still being May?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
drgm wrote:Still no right back, or left back for that matter. Not impressed. Seems like a lot of activity
Rare to announce multiple players on one day.

Yes we need two LB and two RB, but we also need another midfielder and striker.

I don’t care what order they are signed in.
Robin
I agree we need two decent full backs and a proven striker but it's May and we have completed a good chunk of our summer business already. Two proven signings so far and two promising youngsters with an unknown commodity that looks like they may have promised now rumoured to be close.
horlickfanclub
Right back/midfield/centre back according to his you tube promo. Most clips show him as a right side centre back but he has two good feet and great distribution. Also takes good penalties.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Right back/midfield/centre back according to his you tube promo. Most clips show him as a right side centre back but he has two good feet and great distribution. Also takes good penalties.
Hopefully he can make the RB slot his own.
joes dad
He's left footed
"The 6ft 1in left footer was loaned to Premier League giants Liverpool in January 2011 with a view to a permanent move."
horlickfanclub
Look at the videos and make up your own mind Joes Dad. As i said it his promo that says RIGHT back. I think the players agent and the evidence of pictures is more credible than your newspaper quote.
horlickfanclub
https://youtu.be/yFONnLO8tJ0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
joes dad
Just quoting JP's original post. I'm :o not that bothered,just pointing it out
Robin
He's a ball playing midfielder apparently.
Ihearye
Let's be honest he is hardly going to declare that the only place he can play is right mid field.
theidlerich
...can he open the batting?.............if so GJ can loan him to ECB!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
theidlerich wrote:...can he open the batting?.............if so GJ can loan him to ECB!
My mate came up with an idea that members of the general population should be selected at random to play in the middle order. Each random gets two tests and if they average 40+ they get a central contract.
Shade
Maybe he's the next Philip Lahm. Definitely favouring his right foot in that video, though, and looks like a handy utility player.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Wouldn’t be the first time whichever source a local paper uses for info on a player they know nothing about is wrong.
horlickfanclub
We now have plenty of right side/ centre backs/ midfield assuming Forster gets fit so no more dodgy young loanees needed there. A bit more needed on the left side and up front of the round peg sort and the squad will be looking more solid than last summer.
Andy
Looking forward to the season.
Robin
We will almost certainly have some loans Horlick but hopefully these players are cover/competition rather than relying upon them.
RichardMoss
Some people can never be happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alwaysarobin
Why so much negativity? If we hadn't signed anyone by now people would moan. We sign 5 and people moan. How about looking forward and seeing why these players wanted to come here. They are not last minute on the last day signings. I believe 1 or 2 more permanent signings and 4 loan players will be in by the start of the season. It's a new new team with some new players and not some coming in to replace others who have gone. New times for CTFC both on and off the field. Get behind everyone before the season starts,but get excited and stop being miserable
Robin
General mood seems to positive in fairness. I do disagree on the rest of the signings I would hope for permanent full backs ideally unless Ilias comesback and a permanently powerful striker so 2-3 permanent signings and 2-3 loans (as cover/competition).
darreno
What is it with articles like this where they have to quote EVERY club a player has been with? The last few have been hilarious :roll:
Shade
It's always positive when players are signing in May as they're generally the managers first choices. We saw this in the summer of 2015 and we won the league. The last two summers were disappointing in the number of early signings and how long we were waiting around for players/clubs to make their minds up. "A lot of activity without strategy" is an extremely bizarre comment when we need players in every position in order to make up a squad and it is still only May.
Robin
The fact is we now have the bulk of the squad together before the end of May and probably require two full backs, a striker and a few loans to bulk out the squad.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:The fact is we now have the bulk of the squad together before the end of May and probably require two full backs, a striker and a few loans to bulk out the squad.
A promising start to the summer and the reason I renewed.
shevates
We went all last season without signing a right back so why so surprised we havnt signed one yet
Shade
Well, if we don't sign any full backs then it's pretty obvious what the formation isn't going to be.
CTFC03
I personally don't want to see any loans coming in unless they are serious quality that would potentially aid us to a top 7-10 finish, we need more permanent players, look at Luton last season majority of squad permanent with a drip feed of quality loans, I get the budget difference between us and them will be big but we can't be relying on cheap loans, what was it we had last season, 7 loans or something at one point?

I've seen mixed reviews on Tozer & Thomas, more for Thomas though - I'm sure Tozer played in defence for Northampton against us, I remember him as a no nonsense physical player and generally consistent every time I've seen him play, can't comment on Thomas though.