Missed out

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Fuller
https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... er-1592043" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Damn and blast ....
Robin
Would have been ideal for us in my opinion.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Wrong sort of player to get the best out of Mo.

Were we ever really interested or was it just tat paper talk?
Fuller
Mo won't be here next season and Andy Williams would have been the best player to get the most out of Mo's replacement ... just saying like.
Robin
Fuller wrote:Mo won't be here next season and Andy Williams would have been the best player to get the most out of Mo's replacement ... just saying like.
Careful Fuller, too much common sense for RCS.
Shade
Meh, he's 31. We've already signed one player looking towards the end of his career, we don't want to end up like we did a few years ago with players just looking for a job until they retire...
Ihearye
You will be deemed to lack ambition and fall into the little old cheltenham gang
If I had time I would go back and see if RCS was telling us GJ shouldn't have had Williams as a target, but cba
Ihearye
Shade wrote:Meh, he's 31. We've already signed one player looking towards the end of his career, we don't want to end up like we did a few years ago with players just looking for a job until they retire...
Would sincerely hope that attitude from a player wouldn't be anywhere near a CTFC list!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:You will be deemed to lack ambition and fall into the little old cheltenham gang
If I had time I would go back and see if RCS was telling us GJ shouldn't have had Williams as a target, but cba
I didn’t comment either way. I generally ignore all newspaper nonsense, only commenting when a deal is confirmed, or when a thread like this is started on one of the many hundreds of players we aren’t signing this summer.
Shade
Ihearye wrote:
Shade wrote:Meh, he's 31. We've already signed one player looking towards the end of his career, we don't want to end up like we did a few years ago with players just looking for a job until they retire...
Would sincerely hope that attitude from a player wouldn't be anywhere near a CTFC list!
If they sign they're great, if they don't they're useless over the hill donkeys/mercs :lol:
Robin
Williams has a proven record of a) scoring goals and b) getting promoted it will be difficult to find others like him but not impossible.
Nesty
the real mistake was letting him go when he was 16 :=)
asl
Nesty wrote:the real mistake was letting him go when he was 16 :=)
I suspect Fergie had similar thoughts when Mourinho went shopping for Pogba...
Robin
Bit different then though as Fergie didn't choose to let Pogba go, he refused a new contract and moved to Juventus on a free transfer as he was going abroad.
CTFC03
Obviously there will be other strikers to go for but this is disappointing as we really could have done with another experienced player coming through the door to continue making up the spine of the team and also to potentially boost ST sales, my guess is Northampton were prepared to pay him more than us but who knows - hopefully this is not the start of a summer of missing the players we want to get.
Ihearye
CTFC03 wrote:Obviously there will be other strikers to go for but this is disappointing as we really could have done with another experienced player coming through the door to continue making up the spine of the team and also to potentially boost ST sales, my guess is Northampton were prepared to pay him more than us but who knows - hopefully this is not the start of a summer of missing the players we want to get.
again
paperboy
....well we'll hardly be at the top of an experienced players choice of clubs and it was inevitable that there would be quite a few clubs chasing him.

GJs charisma and possible lure of a nice town and training ground can't beat a bigger pay cheque .
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Anyone know if we actually made him an offer?
Ihearye
If we had placed an actual offer yet or were in discussions stage is not really the point. The concern is, like last year we have to move on and look for our second choice etc etc. This is exactly why if we get a good offer for Mo we should take it. Otherwise we yet again run the risk of a good striker not being supported by a team of average Daves
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:If we had placed an actual offer yet or were in discussions stage is not really the point. The concern is, like last year we have to move on and look for our second choice etc etc. This is exactly why if we get a good offer for Mo we should take it. Otherwise we yet again run the risk of a good striker not being supported by a team of average Daves
My point is we don’t know if he was priority or first choice. There may be a bunch of ‘first choice’ strikers Gary is tracking knowing full well we can only afford one. And if we get one that is first choice box ticked.
Robin
paperboy wrote:....well we'll hardly be at the top of an experienced players choice of clubs and it was inevitable that there would be quite a few clubs chasing him.

GJs charisma and possible lure of a nice town and training ground can't beat a bigger pay cheque .
It's not necessarily about weekly wage, I understand we can pay reasonable wages for our top players and now under GJ are willing to pay relocation and agent fees which can make a big difference but we can't always gamble on length of contract.
Ihearye
Like wise we don't know if he was a priority or was the first choice. Yes there MAY be a veritable bunch of first choice strikers GJ is tracking. That would have us then believing that he has no preference as to whom we get as long as it is one of that bunch. That they are all equally as good and will fill the gap equally as well. Unlikely.

Robin - surely the length of contract also equates to a bigger pay cheque (in the long term). This is exactly why a good offer for Mo should be taken. To give us the security and ability to think long term instead of rebuilding every summer.
THECHOIRBOY
Maybe we can pay OK, but you can be rest assured a top earner here is a lot further down the scale than a top earner at Northampton!
Robin
Ihearye wrote:Like wise we don't know if he was a priority or was the first choice. Yes there MAY be a veritable bunch of first choice strikers GJ is tracking. That would have us then believing that he has no preference as to whom we get as long as it is one of that bunch. That they are all equally as good and will fill the gap equally as well. Unlikely.

Robin - surely the length of contract also equates to a bigger pay cheque (in the long term). This is exactly why a good offer for Mo should be taken. To give us the security and ability to think long term instead of rebuilding every summer.
Yes I agree, my point was it's not always weekly wage but total package such as sign-on fee (FGR pay huge here as I understand), relocation allowance and length of contract.
Shade
Williams could have been on the radar but we never made an offer because GJ has one, or maybe even two, targets higher up his list and he's chasing them. Bloody ifs and buts based on rumour, and you have to be negative?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Williams could have been on the radar but we never made an offer because GJ has one, or maybe even two, targets higher up his list and he's chasing them. Bloody ifs and buts based on rumour, and you have to be negative?
Anything to knock the club and criticise GJ.
vickeryc
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Ihearye wrote:If we had placed an actual offer yet or were in discussions stage is not really the point. The concern is, like last year we have to move on and look for our second choice etc etc. This is exactly why if we get a good offer for Mo we should take it. Otherwise we yet again run the risk of a good striker not being supported by a team of average Daves
My point is we don’t know if he was priority or first choice. There may be a bunch of ‘first choice’ strikers Gary is tracking knowing full well we can only afford one. And if we get one that is first choice box ticked.
Such as Kristian Dennis or John Akinde?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
vickeryc wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Such as Kristian Dennis or John Akinde?
Those would be the first players I would be contacting, but I bow to GJ’s better judgement.
Robin
Akinde yes but Dennis may not offer value for money depending upon how much Chesterfield want.
horlickfanclub
Akinde could end up at Stevenage when Godden is sold.
Robin
I would be disappointed if we could lure players ahead of a club like Stevenage to be brutally honest. Godden rumoured to be heading to Peterborough for a six figure fee too.
longmover
Robin wrote:I would be disappointed if we could lure players ahead of a club like Stevenage to be brutally honest. Godden rumoured to be heading to Peterborough for a six figure fee too.
Location's a big factor in the lower leagues, I doubt Akinde would have to move house or family (if he has one).
Lord Elpuz
Speculation is what keeps the sports pages of newspapers, websites and forums alive, especially during the closed season. GJ likes to keep his cards very close to his chest and he’s pretty much ousted ‘the mole’ that was leaking targets out of CTFC a couple of years back.

We will never know Mr Johnson’s list of targets or their relative priorities. He’s gone on record to say publishing such lists is corrosive because it affects what fans and the potential new recruits think.

One thing is for certain though, he’s done an amazing job of generating cash from players and ensuring Cheltenham does not get ripped off. In the past we’ve let the Mick Duff’s and Steve Gillespie’s go for peanuts and lost players at the end of contracts for nothing. But under GJ we’ve generated very decent cash from Billy Waters, Harry Pell, Luke Thomas (the gift that keeps giving!) and potentially Mo Eisa. He’s done all this whilst keeping recruiting and wages under the strict control of budgetary constraints, getting us out of the National League and keeping us in League 2. Personally, I think he’s doing a superb job and I trust his careful recruitment policy to propel us much further this season, using the funds he’s pretty much generated himself from that recruitment policy.
Si Robin
Given his injury record, £400k for Gillespie was a masterstroke in the end.
CTFC03
GJ did an amazing job getting us back into L2 and then to keep us up but this season has been very poor for me, we were lucky that Mo Eisa hit the ground running and never looked back and getting Flinders in was a masterstroke because Flatt isn't even good enough for a part time team let alone a league side. Home form shocking, too much tinkering with team selections, not enough permanent players in at the start of the season and too heavily reliant on loans, it's great that we have a good relationship with Bristol City and long may it continue but we were so reliant on loans last season to the point where loan players and our own players were in the stand, so we have wasted money just not too much, and it's not as if the loans we had here were successful either I thought Taylor Moore started well but then was shocking in some of the games I saw him in.

Still a big summer ahead for him, I'm impressed with the "turnaround" so far, I think Mullins & Tozer are exactly what we need, the other three sound promising but I've never seen them play so unable to comment.