Congratulations Coventry / Farewell Tisdale ?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

solihullkev
Well done Coventry. If we have promotion ambitions next season, Cov's promotion has to be good news for us.

Are we to believe that is it for Tisdale at Exeter now ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If Tisdale goes maybe we can poach some players from them?
Robin
I can see Exeter featuring at the other end of the table next season.
longmover
lots of Exeter fans not happy with Tisdale and another failure (when it matters)
Robin
What ever way you look at it he has massively over achieved there on consistently one of the lower budgets in the division. He's done that also bringing through youth players and selling on for a big profit.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If they implode we have to make it work to our benefit.

Who from their team do you want to sign?
shevates
Id have Tisdale here as our manager without doubt
vickeryc
But I don't see what Tisdale has done that GJ hasn't (and bettered).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Tis certainly one to consider if we are not challenging in the top 7 by winter.
shevates
vickeryc wrote:But I don't see what Tisdale has done that GJ hasn't (and bettered).
Two consecutive play off finals compared to two consecutive seasons of relegation worries ? I just couldnt imagine Tisdale having such an unbalanced squad as we did last season, and his side normally plays attractive football which i like to see
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
shevates wrote:
vickeryc wrote:But I don't see what Tisdale has done that GJ hasn't (and bettered).
Two consecutive play off finals compared to two consecutive seasons of relegation worries ? I just couldnt imagine Tisdale having such an unbalanced squad as we did last season, and his side normally plays attractive football which i like to see
We haven’t had two seasons of relegation worries.
THECHOIRBOY
This season we were bottom after 6 and 21st after 10 games which is when all people seem to say shows the table in its true light. I would class that as a mild concern at that point in time.

Interestingly whilst looking at this, I found something we did have promotion form in last season - at half time away from home based on scores we would be second in the league haha. Doesn't say so much about our resilience in that the full time table for away only we are 16th.
Shade
shevates wrote:
Before the last two seasons Exeter finished 10th, 16th, 10th, 14th. Wow. They certainly didn't have a great balanced side then, or for all that time that they had never beaten us, which included a long spell whilst he was manager.

Who's to say by GJ's 11th and 12th seasons at CTFC we won't have had one promotion and two failed play-off campaigns as well?
Si Robin
Tisdale has two promotions, 3 failed playoff campaigns and 1 successful one. He also has a relegation.

However, he's done it on a nothing budget, bringing through fantastic youth players and making Exeter a mint in transfer fees over the years. What he's done there is nothing short of remarkable.

With that being said, he and the Exeter fans have had many run-ins and I get the impression (having read other forums) that he feels he doesn't get the gratitude he feels he warrants there.

He's going to MK Dons apparently - so any luck I would wish him has gone by the wayside.
vickeryc
By comparison, GJ has (from memory) won 2 promotions from the National League - both with over 100 points - and promotions from L1 (twice) and from L2. He also took Bristol City to the Championship play-off final and won the FA Trophy with Yeovil. There may be other honours that currently escape me.

All of these were achieved within relatively modest budgets. Despite this, in common with Paul Tisdale, GJ has had to endure scathing criticism from fans when things have gone less than well. But that, unfortunately, is the lot of football managers, who work in one of the biggest blame cultures of all. My main point, however, is that GJ's record stands up very well against Paul Tisdale's and I fail to understand why some seem to suggest the opposite.