The Robins Nest Forum
http://robinsnestforum.co.uk/

I love it when...
http://robinsnestforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25132
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Shade [ 11 Jun 2018, 11:05 ]
Post subject:  I love it when...

...everyone's on holiday. It's such a fun and vibrant time...

Author:  Nesty [ 11 Jun 2018, 11:19 ]
Post subject:  Re: I love it when...

there's more activity in a nun's knickers....... I guess GJ is on a well earned holiday?

Author:  Shade [ 11 Jun 2018, 11:29 ]
Post subject:  Re: I love it when...

I believe so. It seemed to be implied early last week that he was going on his hols now. I'd assume the rest of his staff are as well.

Author:  plymrob [ 11 Jun 2018, 18:40 ]
Post subject:  Re: I love it when...

For some, I think it was the Bee Gee's that had a word for the lack of news.... or was it actually Steps? Best ask RCS on that one. On the other hand... one could be pleased with the early doors business... It saves six weeks of moaning that nothing has happened.... or so I thought.

Author:  RegencyCheltenhamSpa [ 12 Jun 2018, 06:22 ]
Post subject:  Re: I love it when...

plymrob wrote:
For some, I think it was the Bee Gee's that had a word for the lack of news.... or was it actually Steps? Best ask RCS on that one. On the other hand... one could be pleased with the early doors business... It saves six weeks of moaning that nothing has happened.... or so I thought.


Summer transfers are like a chain reaction, once we and others get players in or out it triggers as a flurry of signings. Just look at signings 5,6,7,8 coming in as Pell and Winny left.

Author:  vickeryc [ 12 Jun 2018, 07:55 ]
Post subject:  Re: I love it when...

RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
plymrob wrote:
For some, I think it was the Bee Gee's that had a word for the lack of news.... or was it actually Steps? Best ask RCS on that one. On the other hand... one could be pleased with the early doors business... It saves six weeks of moaning that nothing has happened.... or so I thought.


Summer transfers are like a chain reaction, once we and others get players in or out it triggers as a flurry of signings. Just look at signings 5,6,7,8 coming in as Pell and Winny left.

Have I missed something? Who is signing #8?

Author:  Shade [ 12 Jun 2018, 10:53 ]
Post subject:  Re: I love it when...

On another note, assuming nothing has changed with Sellars as we haven't heard anything, how long do we think he'll be given to make his mind up before GJ takes it off the table? He didn't give anyone any time (McLennan) when we came up from the NL. Obviously, more has come out about that since, but it remains unknown as to whether GJ knew GM was having problems, as far as I know.

Author:  horlickfanclub [ 12 Jun 2018, 18:26 ]
Post subject:  Re: I love it when...

It cost us to not replace George for eighteen months.

Author:  RegencyCheltenhamSpa [ 12 Jun 2018, 18:34 ]
Post subject:  Re: I love it when...

horlickfanclub wrote:
It cost us to not replace George for eighteen months.


By cost do you mean turning around the club finances and building a foundation on the most solid base we have had for years?

Author:  CTFC03 [ 12 Jun 2018, 19:00 ]
Post subject:  Re: I love it when...

It almost cost us our place in the league, that's how bad Cranston was in his first season in the FL followed by being just below average this season gone.

Author:  RegencyCheltenhamSpa [ 12 Jun 2018, 21:00 ]
Post subject:  Re: I love it when...

CTFC03 wrote:
It almost cost us our place in the league, that's how bad Cranston was in his first season in the FL followed by being just below average this season gone.


Lol. Relegation was never in doubt from January onwards once the Champions who were not up to task.

Author:  CTFC03 [ 12 Jun 2018, 22:27 ]
Post subject:  Re: I love it when...

I'm afraid that wasn't the case, we only just did it with a game or maybe two to spare and we were getting better results when Davis was in for Cranston, I'll be shocked if he gets another FL club, he is terrible.

Author:  RegencyCheltenhamSpa [ 12 Jun 2018, 22:30 ]
Post subject:  Re: I love it when...

CTFC03 wrote:
I'm afraid that wasn't the case, we only just did it with a game or maybe two to spare and we were getting better results when Davis was in for Cranston, I'll be shocked if he gets another FL club, he is terrible.


Not disputing Cranston. Just making the point that JC or no JC once the squad was overhauled in the January window relegation was never a fear, even as we approached the last few games we all knew we had enough.

Author:  Ihearye [ 13 Jun 2018, 12:04 ]
Post subject:  Re: I love it when...

Indeed, those in the know with a much more acute footballing brain, knew back in January that year, that the worst we would do finish a win and a draw above the relegation zone. Even so finely to the point that they knew that if we hadn't beat h'pool 1-0, we would be down. Bookies must have been taken to the cleaners on that one.

Much the same as this year

Author:  RegencyCheltenhamSpa [ 13 Jun 2018, 13:17 ]
Post subject:  Re: I love it when...

Ihearye wrote:
Indeed, those in the know with a much more acute footballing brain, knew back in January that year, that the worst we would do finish a win and a draw above the relegation zone. Even so finely to the point that they knew that if we hadn't beat h'pool 1-0, we would be down. Bookies must have been taken to the cleaners on that one.

Much the same as this year


Don’t think anyone would claim to foresee individual results and final points tallies; but it was clear to all the side assembled during January was not going to go down.

Author:  Artemis [ 13 Jun 2018, 17:20 ]
Post subject:  Re: I love it when...

Was it? Wasn't to me. But for a penalty save against Orient and a scrappy 1-0 win over Hartlepool, we would have gone down. The recruitment in January certainly made the side less likely to get relegated, but by no means certain to stay up.

Author:  CTFC03 [ 13 Jun 2018, 17:58 ]
Post subject:  Re: I love it when...

Correct Artemis, much better squad from January but we could have easily gone back down again.

Author:  Ihearye [ 13 Jun 2018, 19:18 ]
Post subject:  Re: I love it when...

Artemis wrote:
Was it? Wasn't to me. But for a penalty save against Orient and a scrappy 1-0 win over Hartlepool, we would have gone down. The recruitment in January certainly made the side less likely to get relegated, but by no means certain to stay up.


If memory serves me correctly (no doubt the footballing guru's will correct me). if we had lost to H'pool we would have gone down ?

Author:  Si Robin [ 13 Jun 2018, 20:01 ]
Post subject:  Re: I love it when...

On a strictly points basis, yes.

However, had we lost to Hartlepool, who's to say what would have happened at Fratton Park on the last day of the season. A draw there would have been enough to see us safe and you'd like to think we'd have taken it a bit more seriously than the 6-1 drubbing we ended up getting as the players were well and truly on the beach.

Fact is, we did beat Hartlepool so any ifs and buts are irrelevant.

Author:  RegencyCheltenhamSpa [ 13 Jun 2018, 22:29 ]
Post subject:  Re: I love it when...

Indeed, of course if we lost every game we would have gone down and had we won every game we would have been top ten.

The fact is that in January it was evident we had formed a squad that would stay up. Whether we stayed up by goal difference, four points, or fourteen points is neither hear nor there - a side the manager, players, and fans knew was good enough to survive did just that. Job done move on.

Notable most of the same people who seemed not to have recovered from their misplaced and needless fear of relegation are the same people desperate to ship out our best goal scorer because they are too scared about missing out on a transfer fee rather than being excited about what we can achieve with him in the team.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/