Jermaine McGlashan

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Si Robin
A couple of intriguing posts from Mr McGlashan in the past couple of weeks, including this one:

https://twitter.com/PJones_23/status/10 ... 1641914368

Is he coming back? Would he be welcome?

Personally, I have no issues at all with him coming back, if he's still got the pace in him. I know there was the "not trying" issue, but that was 4 years ago now and I'd like to think we've all moved on.
Robin
I haven’t heard any rumours on this one but surely with two players already in that position it would only happen if Dawson moves on.

Right back and powerful striker have to be prioitiy in my opinion.
Nesty
it would be an amazing signing
Lord Elpuz
I would have him back in a heartbeat. He got us to the Play Offs and therefore more than justified his transfer fee; he was a hardworking player who tracked back and tackled hard and was a joy to watch going forward. He lost his way a bit towards the end of his tenure, in a team that was rapidly losing its way and I think he had more ambition than the Club had at that time, so I could totally understand his frustration.

I remember being at the game at Aldershot when he was playing for them, and he took us apart down our left side (Danny Andrew had a torrid time and was moved on shortly afterwards) and I was really wishing we had a player like McGlashan. Couldn’t believe my luck when Yatesie went and signed him.

It was a very interesting Tweet by PJ7. The item referred to from McGlashan looks like a Facebook post, as McGlashan no longer uses Twitter.
Shade
It was indeed a facebook post a few weeks ago which he removed once he realised people thought it meant something different to what he meant (or maybe he let the cat out the bag too soon). I wouldn't read too much into it. Besides, he's 30 now and we know wingers pace doesn't last long. Might do alright up front for a bit, though. Signing him as the player behind the big striker could work out ok.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Experienced and we could play him left wing if needed. We need four wingers in the squad and they can’t all be kids.

Can see him linking up well with Mo.
Jerry St Clair
Shade wrote:Besides, he's 30 now and we know wingers pace doesn't last long. Might do alright up front for a bit, though.
Yes, interesting. Some wingers adapt their game as they get older and they lose their pace. Glen Little actually got better into his 30s. He lost all his pace, but could still do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hcSIMv3tVw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not sure if McGlashan is one of those. He is mostly pace with some skill, I'm just not sure if he has enough skill to compensate.
asl
Lord Elpuz wrote:I remember being at the game at Aldershot when he was playing for them, and he took us apart down our left side (Danny Andrew had a torrid time and was moved on shortly afterwards)
I'm pretty sure it was Luke Garbutt for whom he tore a new one. That's why we were so impressed with McGlashan: if it'd been Danny who fell victim, we might not have that impressed.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:
Lord Elpuz wrote:I remember being at the game at Aldershot when he was playing for them, and he took us apart down our left side (Danny Andrew had a torrid time and was moved on shortly afterwards)
I'm pretty sure it was Luke Garbutt for whom he tore a new one. That's why we were so impressed with McGlashan: if it'd been Danny who fell victim, we might not have that impressed.
If it was the game in September 2011 then it was Danny Andrew who was ripped a new one in a torrid time: http://www.soccerbase.com/players/playe ... son_id=141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Garbutt joined later that month. Yates described the Robins as flat and lacking spark in that defeat in Hampshire.
Si Robin
I remember the home game the week before he signed for us he was absolutely fantastic - that would have been when Luke Garbutt was playing left-back.
Player2 Has Joined
Shade wrote:It was indeed a facebook post a few weeks ago which he removed once he realised people thought it meant something different to what he meant (or maybe he let the cat out the bag too soon). I wouldn't read too much into it. Besides, he's 30 now and we know wingers pace doesn't last long. Might do alright up front for a bit, though. Signing him as the player behind the big striker could work out ok.
It's not been taken down, it's still on there.
Rulistening
Id take him back here, The whole training scenario might have just boiled down to a falling out with staff members at the time or even just the manager

Was a good player when he was here and id be more than happy to see him back in a cheltenham shirt. If it doesn't work out then just don't offer him a new deal.

He's worth the risk imo
longmover
Rulistening wrote:Id take him back here, The whole training scenario might have just boiled down to a falling out with staff members at the time or even just the manager
The club was on the cusp of the 'meltdown' and I cant imagine how toxic the environment was becoming so anything could have set off all sorts of issues. Jermaine is now older and wiser, he's exactly the player we need to ignite some interest in a more attacking style if play and draw people back.
shevates
Not my cup of tea, exciting because he ran fast ? most times his delivery was poor couldnt get the ball over the first line of defence. I hate divers whether they play for the opposition or us and he sure was one. He did have a very good purple patch of around 8 games but hit and miss for me
longmover
shevates wrote: He did have a very good purple patch of around 8 games but hit and miss for me
did any of our players (last season or season before) have a purple patch full stop?
shevates
NO, apart from Mo if you want to include him
Lord Elpuz
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
asl wrote:
If it was the game in September 2011 then it was Danny Andrew who was ripped a new one in a torrid time: http://www.soccerbase.com/players/playe ... son_id=141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Garbutt joined later that month. Yates described the Robins as flat and lacking spark in that defeat in Hampshire.
It was definitely Danny Andrew taken to the cleaners by McGlashan at Aldershot, and it was at the September 2011 game, that RCS has correctly identified. Luke Garbutt never played for Cheltenham at Aldershot, but he did play in the return fixture at Cheltenham on 14/1/2012, when CTFC won 2-0. By then of course, he’d replaced Danny Andrew.
Malabus
I like JM, he makes things happen.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk
CTFC03
Not sure, thing is we haven't really replaced him, I thought Broom would be potential first choice RM/RWB but if McGlashan comes in then he should be first choice in that position, pace to burn but his crossing was god awful at times but he's been playing L1 last 3/4 years so he might have more to offer this time, if he does come in I wonder if Dawson will go. I heard there was a falling out between him and GJ towards the end of the season, would be a shame to see him go even though his form dipped towards the end I think he's a very good player and was one of few that actually tried to make things happen.
longmover
CTFC03 wrote:Not sure, thing is we haven't really replaced him, I thought Broom would be potential first choice RM/RWB but if McGlashan comes in then he should be first choice in that position, pace to burn but his crossing was god awful at times but he's been playing L1 last 3/4 years so he might have more to offer this time, if he does come in I wonder if Dawson will go. I heard there was a falling out between him and GJ towards the end of the season, would be a shame to see him go even though his form dipped towards the end I think he's a very good player and was one of few that actually tried to make things happen.

Wouldn't be too bothered if Dawson went, he hasn't lived up to his reputation, a comment that I heard of him was (as a player) 'he thinks he's cleverer than he is'
Robin
I thought Dawson started really well but some of his performances towards the end were shocking. I have also heard rumours of a fall out with GJ and a potential move to FGR not sure what is happening there though.
Nesty
McGlashan has signed for Swindon
Lord Elpuz
Nesty wrote:McGlashan has signed for Swindon
He will be a useful asset in their battle to avoid the drop ;)
horlickfanclub
Excellent signing for Swindon.
Robin
Swindle will be targetting the play offs again no doubt, hope they fail though.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Swindle will be targetting the play offs again no doubt, hope they fail though.
I have some lingering doubt that they will be targeting automatic promotion.
CTFC03
If his crossing has improved Marc Richards will be in for a treat.