Sean Long

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

horlickfanclub
Stroud newspaper covering its favourite club- Cheltenham Town says we are interested in Sean Long of Lincoln. A right back.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Need a right back so get him in.
horlickfanclub
Ok. I will exchange Sellars for him.
Malabus
I believe this would be a great move for both player and the club if it happens.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk
Robin
Have to assume he was our second choice but given we are likely paying a fee GJ must rate him still.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Why assume second choice?
Robin
Because the media reported we were after Alcock - supported by comments made by GJ - and we’ve likely ran out of patience in an effort to have our squad in place for the start of pre-season in a couple of weeks. No complaints from me on this feel we are in a much better place than previous two summers.
horlickfanclub
It seems very quiet on the Sellars front.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Because the media reported we were after Alcock - supported by comments made by GJ - and we’ve likely ran out of patience in an effort to have our squad in place for the start of pre-season in a couple of weeks. No complaints from me on this feel we are in a much better place than previous two summers.
Alcock may have been second choice.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:Because the media reported we were after Alcock - supported by comments made by GJ - and we’ve likely ran out of patience in an effort to have our squad in place for the start of pre-season in a couple of weeks. No complaints from me on this feel we are in a much better place than previous two summers.
From the master of the 'it's obvious' statements, do you never let any comment go.

Maybe Long was his 100th choice and Alcock was his 99th. Or you could go with the general consensus that Alcock is the better player?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
From the master of the 'it's obvious' statements, do you never let any comment go.

Maybe Long was his 100th choice and Alcock was his 99th. Or you could go with the general consensus that Alcock is the better player?
I was thinking more that how do we know Long wasn’t ‘first choice’ all along and we only looked at Alcock and others because at that time Long wasn’t available. Now he is available so he takes the first choice spot.

Truth is we don’t know. Player availability changes all the time as clubs dealings happen and squads come out in the wash.

The reason I didn’t let it go is because its so frustrating that a player is immediately dismissed with inane comments saying we need to assume he is second choice when the reverse could be true.
Artemis
Has Long actually signed yet?
Robin
Not yet Art but appears to be very close.

As for Sellars given his age we will not withdraw any offer as we will lose out on compensation. With a week or so until pre-season it will be interesting to see what he does from here and whether we sign a replacement (presumably on loan).
Si Robin
That's assuming the offer made to Sellars was of the same or better terms. The impression I have is that Sellars wasn't exactly cheap last season and we took a chance despite his poor injury record as a youth (this was in an interview with GJ part of the way through the season) - so it stands to reason that we would offer him less money.

On the other hand, we might have only offered a deal because we knew clubs were sniffing around him and therefore covered our backs.

Naturally, we can't ever truly know what's been offered unless he or someone privy to the contract offer actually tells us.
horlickfanclub
We have been signing players that run towards goal not across the pitch and stop so I hope he gets a generous offer elsewhere.
Nesty
Artemis wrote:Has Long actually signed yet?
all gone quiet..........