First bid in

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
It could all be about to kick off! http://bit.ly/EisaBid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
horlickfanclub
Whatever Fry and Evans offer double it. Mo is too nicer bloke to end up there.
Robin
Certainly feel Mo is too good for Peterborough, he should move to the Championship or sign an extension here and move next year after our promotion.
Shade
I'm sure that whatever happens with League 1 clubs, there will be a Championship club that will take a punt on him at the last minute. Let the others mess around settling on a figure and then come in and trump it at the last minute.
Jon Palmer
Confirmed that it has been rejected
Robin
Good. We need to learn not to accept at the first sight of money and hope this forces bigger clubs to show their hand.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Go Fish!

Mo is CTFC.
little mo
I don't know if Mo ever takes a glance at this site (probably not), but just in case he does. Please DO NOT go there and work with Evans, he will ruin you, and you will regret it for ever, plus you are going to be better than that.
Lord Elpuz
Absolutely concur with little mo. He must not go anywhere near the over-agitated Evans, who is heading for a major stroke with his antics.

Several things to ponder:

* The situation needs to be resolved soonest as it undermines pre-season for our team and it undermines Mo’s own preparations;
* The fact that a bid has now been received will have a ‘stalking horse’ effect on other bidders, who must now begin to show their cards;
* GJ will not let Mo go on the cheap and will ensure we get the best upfront deal;
* Mo apparently performed well v WBA, scoring a goal, and will have turned heads - expect some interest there too;
* Cardiff have been the highest placed club showing interest & have the cash, following promotion to The Prem;
* GJ must now begin his manoeuvrings to bring in a replacement (or two) for Mo
* I will be very surprised if Mo is still with CTFC in two weeks time;
* I remain mightily relieved we have GJ at the helm to deal with this business.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Unbelievably derogatory and arrogant comments by the Peterborough owner. Thinks he can push little old Cheltenham about. We have the whip hand. Cough up £1.5m and we might answer the phone. If not, feck off.
longmover
Peterborough are a very grubby club.
Artemis
"One of them 'Out in the Public' Days. Sure we made 2 bids. Good bids but think they holding out in hope for champ interest and we now given them publicity to try move that along. Fair play and good luck to them."

I don't quite see whats so arrogant about that statement. Seems rather complimentary to the way we've gone about starting the auction.
Si Robin
I agree.

I must be the only person here who really doesn't care where Mo ends up. As long as we get a decent fee I don't care who he goes to, what division they're in, or even how good they are for his career.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:I agree.

I must be the only person here who really doesn't care where Mo ends up. As long as we get a decent fee I don't care who he goes to, what division they're in, or even how good they are for his career.
Not that I think Mo or the club will be daft enough for a move to happen, but the point I was making about Peterborough was that they knew after the first derisory offer what the minimum offer was to even initiate talks, so to come back with another below that is an insult.

Hopefully the Club make it clear: anyone interested has to make an initial offer of at least £1.5 million before any conversation can happen and that anything below that is a waste of everyone’s time. Personally to prevent time wasting and p!##-taking I would also state that any club who offers below that bare minimum will not just be rejected out of hand but we will also refuse all future bids from them as a matter of principle and punishment for ignoring the initial instruction.
shevates
Mo isnt Poshes only target, they have bid for former CTFC loanee and current Donny striker John Marquis. Im sure he would cost more than our estimate of Mos valuation
Lord Elpuz
Money talks. Principles don’t.

It would be naive to think that a bid that meets the valuation would be ignored. As Si Robin says, it doesn’t matter who, where, when, whatever, if the valuation is met, CTFC will not block the bid. It would then be up to Mo and his advisors to agree terms with the bidding club. If that doesn’t work out, we then have a Pell/Blackpool situation.
Jerry St Clair
I've heard from a (completely non-authoritative) source that Brentford went in with a £500k rising to £1m bid.

if they up that, a move back to London playing in a progressive Championship side would be a total no-brainer for Mo, I suspect.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote:I've heard from a (completely non-authoritative) source that Brentford went in with a £500k rising to £1m bid.

if they up that, a move back to London playing in a progressive Championship side would be a total no-brainer for Mo, I suspect.
Another derisory offer; needs to be upped to £1.5m or jog on.
Jerry St Clair
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Jerry St Clair wrote:I've heard from a (completely non-authoritative) source that Brentford went in with a £500k rising to £1m bid.

Another derisory offer; needs to be upped to £1.5m or jog on.
Agreed. There are also whispers on the message board of my other club, Reading. Interestingly they're talking about £1.5-2m being the absolute minimum for a top L2 forward.

Anyway, it seems momentum is building. Do we know if there is a release clause in Mo's contract? Or is that the sort of thing that only Prem League superstars have?
Robin
The problem is £500k is decent money but we would be mad to accept that low given other players are moving for much more. It's clear clubs are trying to unsettle the player - why else would Peterborough make two very low offers. I understand from their side you always test the waters much like buying a house you always offer below the advertised price and meet in the middle but any bid below seven figures is insulting.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:The problem is £500k is decent money but we would be mad to accept that low given other players are moving for much more. It's clear clubs are trying to unsettle the player - why else would Peterborough make two very low offers. I understand from their side you always test the waters much like buying a house you always offer below the advertised price and meet in the middle but any bid below seven figures is insulting.
If the house seller states “all offers under the asking price will be ignored and buyers blacklisted” then it is different.
Shade
Difference being, I want to keep my house and I don't need to sell it, so offers under the guide price will be politely ignored.
Si Robin
Quite sure a house will never demand to be sold if a better person puts an offer in though.

NOTE: There is nothing to suggest that Mo has, or even will, do this.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:Quite sure a house will never demand to be sold if a better person puts an offer in though.

I don’t believe he will. All the evidence points to the fact he is happy here and knows learning under Gary for another season will help him get a bigger move.
Nesty
whenever we get a situation where we have a prized asset being talked about I am reminded of the Peter Shearer debacle. Olduns will remember it, for any younguns out there we were on the cusp of getting (for then) a huge sum of money for said player, when he broke his leg.
Malabus
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Si Robin wrote:Quite sure a house will never demand to be sold if a better person puts an offer in though.

I don’t believe he will. All the evidence points to the fact he is happy here and knows learning under Gary for another season will help him get a bigger move.
Like Dan Holman.
Andy
We all know exactly what Mo will be sold for, IF he goes.

It’ll be: £ undisclosed.

So everyone will then be quoting their “source” and we will have wide variations from £30k plus a friendly to £0.75m plus 50% sell on through to £4m+ and clauses that if he sneezes we get an extra £100k, when he farts it’ll rise to £250k etc etc

For now all I ask, and I have no reason to doubt otherwise, is that Mo remains professional throughout all this speculation and does us a bloody good job for however long he stays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neil.H.M
I think any player may well decide to put in a transfer request if a bigger club comes in for him, especially with the way agents work these days.
Robin
Wouldn't dispute that but there is a big difference between rejecting an offer from a smallish club like Peterborough versus say Pompey or Brentford who are both known to be interested.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Wouldn't dispute that but there is a big difference between rejecting an offer from a smallish club like Peterborough versus say Pompey or Brentford who are both known to be interested.
A bad offer is a bad offer no matter who makes it.