One more striker in

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Won't be the only one, details here: http://bit.ly/CTFCStrikerIn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
Genuinely don't know what to make of this signing, on one hand this looks like a player with potential to do well however it's not the marquee signing we were hoping for or even the tried and tested football league player many will have expected. Assuming this signing goes through we have four forwards and not one is proven at football league level, how are we supposed to feel confident with the new season starting next week that we can challenge for promotion?
Andy
Perhaps the next one will be Robin. JP does say it’s not the only one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
paperboy
......a good interview from a couple of months ago.

http://nonleaguedaily.com/hayes-yeading ... d-breaker/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As JP says more signings to follow.

Even though we have plenty of midfielders it would be good to see Joe Morrell back. He's nowhere near their first team and better than what we have.

He,Mo and Winnie were amongst our best players last season and they need to be adequately replaced.
I guess we should wait and see how we get on (and who is in our starting eleven) against Walsall before we give judgement.
Shade
He knows where the net is, which is what Mo's main strength was, and I'd take a gamble on another Mo over an 'experienced' 'marquee' League 2 striker signing any day, to be honest.

And the clearance has been received for KLK, so that's 2 strikers on board. 1 more, and hopefully he's a name people know so that the doubters won't go completely overboard. Then we're into a few loans, I'd imagine.
Fuller
We could have a Dutchman and a Frenchman up front for us this season - how exciting !
Jon Palmer
Verdict on Manny Duku from a former team mate and ex-Robins here: http://bit.ly/DukuVerdict" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
A striker but the Echo headline in that article says winger?
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:A striker but the Echo headline in that article says winger?
David Hutton wasn't a striker.

On another note, I hope his nickname is "Count" (assuming Duku is pronounced Dookoo).
Artemis
Genuinely excited by this signing - powerful, physical and pacey. And obviously knows where the goal is.

Looking forward to him and KLK up top together.
Ihearye
Shade wrote:He knows where the net is, which is what Mo's main strength was, and I'd take a gamble on another Mo over an 'experienced' 'marquee' League 2 striker signing any day, to be honest.

And the clearance has been received for KLK, so that's 2 strikers on board. 1 more, and hopefully he's a name people know so that the doubters won't go completely overboard. Then we're into a few loans, I'd imagine.
Think Robin's point (and I wouldn't presume to speak fro him), is that we are now taking a gamble, if it goes through, on both strikers. Indeed we are taking a gamble on 3 of our signings (i.e. no league experience). If they are in support of a 'recognised' striker then maybe, but surely both should be development signings. No point in saying, but look at Mo etc. Absolutely nothing to say that will happen again. How many signings have we made over the years before we got 'a Mo'
Ihearye
Shade wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:A striker but the Echo headline in that article says winger?
David Hutton wasn't a striker.

On another note, I hope his nickname is "Count" (assuming Duku is pronounced Dookoo).
Jury still out on what David Hutton was
Nesty
sounds like someone from Grease
Artemis
Hutton was / is a winger. Manny is a striker.
Don't why the confusion.
shevates
Welcome Duku, hope you fill Mo Eisa boots, but does lightening strike twice i ask myself, especially in such a short time.? The so called other striker on his way better be experienced and a consistent goal scorer
Nesty
shevates wrote:Welcome Duku, hope you fill Mo Eisa boots, but does lightening strike twice i ask myself, especially in such a short time.? The so called other striker on his way better be experienced and a consistent goal scorer
let us hope so
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:Hutton was / is a winger. Manny is a striker.
Don't why the confusion.
Completely my error. I misread the headline and was thinking it was describing Duku as a winger, rather than describing Hutton.

The perils of reading the Echo site in haste and fear of one’s phone being crashed and hijacked by their malware adverts!
kiaora84
Rumour is Liam McAlindon is set to sign as well. Trained with us earlier on in preseason before heading to Chesterfield
Andy
Nesty wrote:Grease
shevates wrote:lightening
Let’s hope he’s a systematic, hydromatic, ultramatic player then...

...I’ll get my coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shade
kiaora84 wrote:Rumour is Liam McAlindon is set to sign as well. Trained with us earlier on in preseason before heading to Chesterfield
He'd fit the bill of goal shy but bigger unit of a forward that we're missing ;)
Jon Palmer
Confirmed: http://bit.ly/DukuSigns" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
horlickfanclub
A good signing and Maddox looks decent too. The new Harry.
Alf
Sounds good to me.
Robin
kiaora84 wrote:Rumour is Liam McAlindon is set to sign as well. Trained with us earlier on in preseason before heading to Chesterfield
That would be a strange signing and surely not what we need? A player released by Exeter and one we didn't offer terms to earlier this summer now being chased confuses me.
paperboy
...Hayes fans and all others speak highly of him as a player and a person.

http://hyufc.com/news/latestnews.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems we paid what they call a substantial,record fee for him.
Robin
Yes that's their chairman saying a substantial fee was involved, interesting but I can't imagine we've paid more than low five figures for a player at that level.
Robin
http://achievemanagement.co.uk/immanuel ... nham-town/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This also says we paid a fee for him and also for those moaning about Eisa, Jack Marriott went to Derby today for a reported £2million rising to £3.25 million with add ons.
little mo
Robin wrote:http://achievemanagement.co.uk/immanuel ... nham-town/

This also says we paid a fee for him and also for those moaning about Eisa, Jack Marriott went to Derby today for a reported £2million rising to £3.25 million with add ons.
Video of him scoring a few at the end of the article, interesting,looks like one of those who could be a gem, but we won't know for a while.
Red dog
Robin wrote:
That would be a strange signing and surely not what we need? A player released by Exeter and one we didn't offer terms to earlier this summer now being chased confuses me.
My cousin is a big Wolves fan, he recons McAlinden was one of there bigest ever prospect but had no joy with his Loan spells whether through bad luck on bad performance he's not sure, Iv done a little digging on the net and had a quick luck on Exeter forum and it seems to me he has all he skills and attributes to be a great player for us, says on Exeter forum he wasn't actually released he was offered a two year deal at Christmas but turned it down so there manager took offence and practically benched him for the rest of the season, the first half of the season he was excellent up front with the other front man Reid ( who it seems had now gone also and at forest green). I have an old friend who I haven't seen in yrs who lives in Exter and I know is a season ticket holder I will get in touch and see what he had to say about him, there is a lot of stuff on the net about him though and mist of it is good to be fair.
CTFC03
Apparently he played very well today, I think he could be very good for us.
Ihearye
all the above may be true and I have never seen the lad kick a football. Therefore I look at his strike rate. If we are lookinmg for a bag full of golas, it would appear on past form he is not the person to deliver them. Maybe he sets up a lot of goals ?
Robin
That's the strange thing about the McAlindon signing I don't know where he fits especially with McCoulskey coming who will surely be our main goal scorer. Liam showed some nice touches yesterday (setting up Maddox) and worked really hard but equally had 2-3 great chances to play in others and fluffed up the final ball so I am not sure he's a creator based upon that more a work horse.
Shade
Why do you assume that a) McCoulsky will be coming and b) he will be our "main goalscorer", when he has scored less League goals than McAlinden?
Robin
McCoulsky goals to games record is very good, McAlindon's is not.
asl
Oh, good - it's not just me. From recent posts, Robin is so absolutely certain, I thought I must've missed an announcement.