Sunderland join the race

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
It's hotting up! http://bit.ly/EisaSunderland" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
At some point, a decent club is going to come in for him ;) :P
little mo
Clicked on it but in order to read it Google tells me I MUST answer a few questions about myself first. No thanks. :evil:
Robin
Sunderland are another huge club, I suspect this won't take too much longer now but I hope we have a couple of replacements lined up already with fees agreed with clubs (having missed out on Akinde hard to see too many other proven options).
longmover
BIDDING WAR!!!!
ctfc-fan
little mo wrote:Clicked on it but in order to read it Google tells me I MUST answer a few questions about myself first. No thanks. :evil:
At the bottom of the pop up you can refuse and read the article.
Robin
Apparently the Sunderland bid the largest we've received so far but still some way short of our valuation. I do wonder if Mo will play in the game against Reading today.
MittonRobin
I am sorry but this all needs sorting now! its two weeks or so before the start of the season and we are going to be left short. Get a deal done and lets move on and get someone in !
Robin
Not just one replacement, we need at least two strikers.
Nesty
Robin wrote:Not just one replacement, we need at least two strikers.
two minimum, plus a winger
Robin
We have Addei, Broom and Dawson for the wings yet I still think we'll play wing backs given to allow us to play more centre halves and midfielders. Perhaps two strikers and a right back to cover Long?
Artemis
Hoping Kalvin's will be one of the strikers. And a handy replacement when Mo departs.
vickeryc
MittonRobin wrote:I am sorry but this all needs sorting now! its two weeks or so before the start of the season and we are going to be left short. Get a deal done and lets move on and get someone in !
I understand the point, but surely we wouldn't sell if the club's valuation is not being met! The club has frequently, and rightly, been criticised in the past for selling decent players for well short of what they are worth.
Ralph
vickeryc wrote:
MittonRobin wrote:I am sorry but this all needs sorting now! its two weeks or so before the start of the season and we are going to be left short. Get a deal done and lets move on and get someone in !
I understand the point, but surely we wouldn't sell if the club's valuation is not being met! The club has frequently, and rightly, been criticised in the past for selling decent players for well short of what they are worth.
Correct.. If they don't meet what we value him at, lets keep him
Nesty
vickeryc wrote:
the point being made is we are one or two strikers short even if Mo stays
Malabus
My opinion is; the closer to the start of season 18/19 Eisa price inflats and now must be worth 2 millionm sterling. Not in our interest he is sold days before the season starts.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk
Shade
Don't panic. Hold out. Get players lined up so we can push deals through even if there's only 12 hours of the transfer window left.
Robin
The problem is what realistic targets are out there now as clubs will also not want to sell at this point. We missed out on Akinde, I am struggling to think of other realistic targets beyond championship reserves or league one players who are unlikely to make starting teams. Even if we get the £1.5 million I can't see us paying more than about £150,000 on a single player when you add wages on top.

Note. I qoute that amount as we were interested in Akinde who went to Lincoln for a similar fee.
Shade
You're right. Let's all start bricking it. We're gonna score 9 goals this season.
Uppy
It doesn’t need to be proven players. How many of us knew Eisa before he signed? A few non-league players with potential would satisfy me.
Nesty
Shade wrote:You're right. Let's all start bricking it. We're gonna score 9 goals this season.
Or as the Captain of the Titanic said "what f******g Iceberg?"
Robin
Uppy wrote:It doesn’t need to be proven players. How many of us knew Eisa before he signed? A few non-league players with potential would satisfy me.
Do you see us challenging for promotion with two unproven non league players, Graham and Lloyd? I'm all for giving a few potential prospects a chance however players like Mo are very much the exception rather than the rule. Ultimately I feel we will either buy a Championship reserve for a decent fee or take someone from league one on high wages with a small fee. Of course we may do both as we need at least two strikers.
Robin
This lad scored 9 in 15 at Crawley last year, must be a realistic target for us:
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/1625 ... rne-grant/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
horlickfanclub
Don't panic Robin. There is goal potential in all positions. What did we have up front at this stage last season?
Malabus
https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/platfo ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
THECHOIRBOY
Lots of deals get done just before the start of season

Free agents getting tetchy with the waiting game plus loans once injuries are known.

Replacement for Eisa could also just be in the form of a much more expensive loan deal than we normally get.
Robin
A much more expensive loan deal is not beyond the realm of possibility but feel the board will get negative publicity if we sell Mo for £1.5 million and we get some non-league player and Bristol City reserve. It send a far more positive message if we break our transfer record and get a player of our own rather than waste £2k a week on a loan player.
Jon Palmer
Sunderland manager's thoughts: http://bit.ly/RossOnEisa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
everyman
Robin wrote:A much more expensive loan deal is not beyond the realm of possibility but feel the board will get negative publicity if we sell Mo for £1.5 million and we get some non-league player and Bristol City reserve. It send a far more positive message if we break our transfer record and get a player of our own rather than waste £2k a week on a loan player.
Bobby Reid (former ctfc-loanee)signed for Cardiff for a reported £10million.He has scored 29 goals in 176 games,21 last season,is he that much better than Eisa ?
Robin
Oh I agree with you there Everyman.
Artemis
He is a proven scorer at Championship level. Eisa isn't. But GJs view is that he will. Hence us wanting top whack for a L2 proven goalscorer plus, no doubt, add ons.
Shade
Artemis wrote:He is a proven scorer at Championship level. Eisa isn't. But GJs view is that he will. Hence us wanting top whack for a L2 proven goalscorer plus, no doubt, add ons.
But Reid is £10m and Eisa is only £1.5m, which reflects that he hasn't been there and done it. That's £8.5m extra for having a bit of a track record.

Maybe we should loan him to a Championship club first so they can see what they're getting. When he's banged in 15 in the Championship by January, we up the asking price to £10m. (Wouldn't it be nice to find a club so foolish...)
Artemis
Championship to Premiership Vs League 2 to Championship / League 1. Far more money in the premiership.
vickeryc
If it's true that Sunderland (and others) have only offered £1m when the Robins have said their valuation is £1.5m, they are either: (i) unconvinced by the Robins' valuation; or (ii) trying to take the p*ss. Either way, the club have Mo under contract and should be under no pressure to sell - other than the understandable concern that, should the asking price be offered at the last minute, this could compromise our chances of getting replacement(s). If Gary hasn't been able to line up suitable replacements, then it would not be in the club's interest to sell at the last minute. It's not as if his contract is about to expire within 12 months.

I sincerely hope that, whenever Mo is sold, the club: (a) stick to their valuation as a minimum; and (b) ensure there are appropriate sell-on clauses. Don't let wealthy clubs get away with ripping us off!
Robin
Don't be surprised if we accept something like £1.25million with a decent sell on clause then splash £100k or so on a young striker and take a free transfer as well.