Sunderland join the race

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

vickeryc
Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if that were to happen. Small clubs are always being fleeced by bigger clubs for reasons that we all know. I appreciate there may be reasons to be pragmatic, but if Eisa is valued at £1.5m by the club that hold his contract, then that is the starting point for negotiations. The starting point should not be a figure that falls substantially short of the valuation - even if there are sell-on clauses. This is not a souk or a car boot sale!
Lord Elpuz
vickeryc wrote: ...

I sincerely hope that, whenever Mo is sold, the club: (a) stick to their valuation as a minimum; and (b) ensure there are appropriate sell-on clauses. Don't let wealthy clubs get away with ripping us off!
I agree entirely.

We need to be extremely thankful for three things:

* Mo, for his outstanding talent and the promise of a huge cash windfall from his move that will transform our Club;
* Pete Johnson, for finding him;
* Gary Johnson, for developing Mo’s true potential and sticking him in the team from the off - but more importantly, for being the Manager of our Club and having the experience to deal with this battle of wits between bidding clubs and ‘little old Cheltenham’ - these bidding clubs are finding that with Gary at the helm, we are not so ‘little’ after all. GJ will NOT allow us to get ripped off, guaranteed.

The idiots that complain about our Manager and our Chief Scout when we have a dip in form, and start their silly little campaigns to get them out, need to learn a very swift lesson about exactly what is involved in running a Club.

We could be on the threshold of a huge transformation with this cash, and it’s all down to the way the Johnson’s have managed our Club.
Sprout Picker
Lord Elpuz wrote:

I sincerely hope that, whenever Mo is sold, the club: (a) stick to their valuation as a minimum; and (b) ensure there are appropriate sell-on clauses. Don't let wealthy clubs get away with ripping us off!
I agree entirely.

* Mo, for his outstanding talent and the promise of a huge cash windfall from his move that will transform our Club;
* Gary Johnson, for developing Mo’s true potential and sticking him in the team from the off - but more importantly, for being the Manager of our Club and having the experience to deal with this battle of wits between bidding clubs and ‘little old Cheltenham’ - these bidding clubs are finding that with Gary at the helm, we are not so ‘little’ after all. GJ will NOT allow us to get ripped off, guaranteed.

The idiots that complain about our Manager and our Chief Scout when we have a dip in form, and start their silly little campaigns to get them out, need to learn a very swift lesson about exactly what is involved in running a Club.

We could be on the threshold of a huge transformation with this cash, and it’s all down to the way the Johnson’s have managed our Club.
Well said.
kora
Spot on your lordship.
Ralph
Lord Elpuz wrote:

I agree entirely.

Well said and very true LE
shevates
The last two seasons have been a rollercoaster nothing to complain about at all lol all tickety boo
Si Robin
I agree with the first two points, but exactly how much of a say is GJ having in whether we accept a bid or not. If the board want to accept £1m, or even £500k for Mo then that's what they'll get and GJ won't have anything to do with it.

In this case, credit should therefore go to Andy Wilcox and the rest of the board for not backing down at the first decent bid.
Robin
Lord Elpuz wrote:

I agree entirely.

Fantastic post.
Lord Elpuz
Si Robin wrote:I agree with the first two points, but exactly how much of a say is GJ having in whether we accept a bid or not. If the board want to accept £1m, or even £500k for Mo then that's what they'll get and GJ won't have anything to do with it.

In this case, credit should therefore go to Andy Wilcox and the rest of the board for not backing down at the first decent bid.
The Board have absolutely no experience of a big transfer bid. They will take advice and guidance from GJ right down the line.
Andy
Si Robin wrote:I agree with the first two points, but exactly how much of a say is GJ having in whether we accept a bid or not. If the board want to accept £1m, or even £500k for Mo then that's what they'll get and GJ won't have anything to do with it.

I would expect that they are probably taking GJs advice on board regarding how much they could get for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lord Elpuz
shevates wrote:The last two seasons have been a rollercoaster nothing to complain about at all lol all tickety boo
I do think that we have fans who under-appreciate what the Johnson’s have done for our Club. If it had not been for Gary Johnson we would be a part-time club now, as we would not have got out of the Vanarama without him. The last two seasons have not delivered on the expectations of Cheltenham fans, but we are a solvent Club, we are in The Football League and GJ has not broken the Club trying to buy success, he has always remained within budget. And now, he and his brother have unearthed a real jem and have generated a huge amount of cash in doing so. We should all show them the appreciation & credit they deserve.
shevates
I totally agree the Js have found a gem in Mo, and thats where it ended. A new season is about to start and im happy with his signings and am more confident we might compete in more games than we did in the last two seasons, but without Mo wont be easy unless he finds a decent striker and strikers are hard to find a bit like right backs were last season. He will have my support at the start of the season lets hope its there at the end
vickeryc
Lord Elpuz wrote:

I agree entirely.

As ever, well said. I couldn't have put it better myself.
vickeryc
Lord Elpuz wrote:
shevates wrote:The last two seasons have been a rollercoaster nothing to complain about at all lol all tickety boo
I do think that we have fans who under-appreciate what the Johnson’s have done for our Club. If it had not been for Gary Johnson we would be a part-time club now, as we would not have got out of the Vanarama without him. The last two seasons have not delivered on the expectations of Cheltenham fans, but we are a solvent Club, we are in The Football League and GJ has not broken the Club trying to buy success, he has always remained within budget. And now, he and his brother have unearthed a real jem and have generated a huge amount of cash in doing so. We should all show them the appreciation & credit they deserve.
Quite. I think the majority of fans share this view, though there will always be a vociferous few whose inane remarks distort the general common sense opinion that, overall, GJ has done an excellent job here.
Nesty
Wise words, but unfortunately inevitably football managers are judged on the last five or so games. On paper the summer recruitment has been good. Let us hope we see GJ deliver a strike force to provide the icing on the cake.
vickeryc
It's true that many football fans are fickle, but not all. Some manage to maintain a sense of balance and reason while others around them are losing their heads!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Mackems set to make a second offer: https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... et-1805785" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If it’s another substandard/joke offer I hope they are told not to bother again.
duckers
I made this point from LE, albeit quite aggressively, as well as some others regarding what GJ has done for us, to some of the youngsters singing “we don’t care about Johnson, Johnson doesn’t care about us” and “we want Johnson out” at the Crewe game as although they’re entitled to their opinion, they need to view things with a larger sense of perspective.
Robin
Fully agree, young minds quick to rush in and no doubt influenced by the hire'em and fire'em cultural in the top flight now.
Ihearye
Hope those that said the club should stick to the valuation as a minimum, have a view on the deal struck?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:Hope those that said the club should stick to the valuation as a minimum, have a view on the deal struck?
Money in the bank but disappointed to sell on the cheap. Deal stinks of Gary doing a friendly deal for family, under the guise of “best for Mo” when it could have resulted in us getting less money than selling elsewhere.

That’s the League One dream gone for another five years at least. Just hope we can find enough goals in the next season or two not to get relegated.
Ihearye
Can't believe it. I agree with ye lol
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:Can't believe it. I agree with ye lol
We came from different approaches, but the fact we both agree says all we need to say about the deal made.