How many players do we need now?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Current squad is 18 I believe, less than two weeks until the transfer window shuts. I'd say we need 21-22 players minimum so 3-4 to come in with at least two being strikers.
itsallbollox
Totally agree Robin, I've been to 4 of the pre season games and without Mo we are very light weight up front, the French lad looks a prospect but he's no where near where Mo was this time last season. I think we need a experienced C.F. another 2 forwards to go with him and a creative midfielder.i think we're ok at the back and holding midfielders, comon Pete Johnson pull another rabbit out the hat for us please. that's just my opinion don't know what others think. Looking forward to the season starting :-)
MittonRobin
Lots! Good ones also! A decent/prolific striker is an absolute must and critical that it happens imminently.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Yup, the folly of selling a near irreplaceable striker when already short of strikers is that the task of both replacing him and making signings to have sufficient numbers is incredibly difficult.
Nesty
we have 1 million to spend. this will push the price up of any we inquire about.
Robin
I doubt GJ has more than about a third of that amount available right now - just my opinion of course. So probably need to split that across three players and a fee for a striker will be quickly gobbled up.
Nesty
I was seeing it as other clubs would see it.
Ihearye
RCS this is going to have to stop! Agree again. Left it too late to be looking for what we already needed up front. Now we have the added pressure of trying to replace Mo and his goals. Law f averages and looking at our recruitment retention histoty would seem to prove we are in for a hard to weeks and season
Robin
Nesty wrote:I was seeing it as other clubs would see it.
Yes I agree just feel we won't have top dollar to pay but it should still break our very modest transfer record.
Nesty
we need another 3 or 4 including Kalvin, 2 strikers and a ball playing midfielder.

There was also talk of player movement out and talk that a few don't feature in GJ's plans - but that was earlier in the summer and has all gone quiet.
Robin
You only have to look at the players who haven't really featured in pre-season for that however if we let any go it will need a major overhaul at this late stage.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Another season starting without a full squad. We have everyone a seven game head start last season. We can’t afford to again if we want to challenge for top seven.
everyman
Robin wrote:Current squad is 18 I believe, less than two weeks until the transfer window shuts. I'd say we need 21-22 players minimum so 3-4 to come in with at least two being strikers.
Another late influx of players to try to integrate ,we may have a settled squad by sep.if we are very lucky.This seems very unambitious to me,i hope Lee Johnson can give us something back for helping him to improve his team ?
Robin
Oh I agree that we should have signed a couple of forwards earlier, I guess we've waited until the sale of Eisa to fund a couple of strikers. The loans I would hope are squad players but I'd guess one will be a midfielder and the other either a right back or a striker.
THECHOIRBOY
I'll assume we will get a couple of long term loans which will be in the first eleven or thereabouts which is typical for lower leagues to sign these late on.

We do look short up front bbut money has to be used wisely which GJ knows and right now people will be inflating prices as they know the size of our pockets!
Robin
I'm expecting one loan striker and one permanent striker in addition to Kalvin, that will be our first choice front three with Graham and Lloyd competing with them. Hard to see where another loan would fit into our first eleven unless it's a creative midfielder but wouldn't be surprised if we took a young right back as cover for Long.
Artemis
We always start the season without a full squad. That is, we always add to it after the season has started and before the loan window closes. Thats just life in L2 and lower.