Forward Squad

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

shevates
Kalala, Duku, McCoulsky, Graham and Lloyd am I the only one concerned about the inexperience and lack of league goals our forward squad have. ? Im disappointed that weve failed to invest some of the money raised by the sale of Mo Eisa in a decent striker for our level. Just hope they put my worries to sleep. Surely we wouldnt be looking at a 6th forward would we
Tickety Boo
Robin
I'd be amazed if we don't add experience, we simply have too. The five forwards all are inexperienced, I expect McCoulskey to start for us it's just who with. Lloyd hopefully can go out on loan to get some games also.
Andy
I think a few are also concerned still.

I expect that with Graham injured / not appearing to be in GJs plans along with a guess that Lloyd may get loaned out for experience, we could still be looking at getting one more striker in hopefully with that experience.

Seems pointless signing developing prospects if they won’t have an experienced person to learn from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
THECHOIRBOY
Bristol Post are reporting McCoulskey is going to Doncaster and all agreed so isn't that just a rumour as it stands (though JP is normally right)

Edit; it's fallen through on medical grounds due to a heart condition identified last season. McCann says he will follow up again later once he's Well again.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
shevates wrote:Kalala, Duku, McCoulsky, Graham and Lloyd am I the only one concerned about the inexperience and lack of league goals our forward squad have. ? Im disappointed that weve failed to invest some of the money raised by the sale of Mo Eisa in a decent striker for our level. Just hope they put my worries to sleep. Surely we wouldnt be looking at a 6th forward would we
Tickety Boo
The answer is in your use of the word invest rather than spend.

As an investment, these lads have much more potential to generate a decent return than an experienced player who won’t have much resale value.

I think it was Robin the other day who cited the example of Peterborough going through a spell of picking up young non-leaguers and selling on for good money, which has helped them become established in L1. Maybe we are starting the same here.
Robin
To be honest having seen we've paid a 'substantial' fee for Duku I am assuming he will start up top with McCoulskey and KLK competing with them.
THECHOIRBOY
I guess we'll never know if it's undisclosed but what actually is the definition of substantial fee for a club the same level as Cirencester.
leohoenig
It also says record, hopefully that is the record for Hayes and Yeading, rather than the pre-merger club which sold Jason Roberts for £250,000
THECHOIRBOY
Good point.

Did Broadbent cost Bristol Rovers anything as he went from there to league one (admittedly a defender)
paperboy
...We shouldn't expect Duku to have an immediate effect as one assumes he has only done a less intense pre-season training with Hayes, along with the jump in levels of course.

Eisa and Alex Addai had a full pre-season with us which makes a big difference.
Robin
I hope he starts up top tomorrow alongside Kalvin, I can't deal with another 4-5-1 at home friendly.
paperboy
Robin wrote:I hope he starts up top tomorrow alongside Kalvin, I can't deal with another 4-5-1 at home friendly.
..yes agree Robin, poor Kalvin ,he battled manfully against good defenders against Brum, but at home I prefer two up top.

Having said that if I leave the ground happy because we've won I'll agree with whatever formation Gary went with.
Ihearye
Robin wrote:I hope he starts up top tomorrow alongside Kalvin, I can't deal with another 4-5-1 at home friendly.
Against B'ham, felt that the team couldn't play that formation with any degree of success. Guess it didn't help that we spent more time defending than anything else
Robin
Always a matter of opinions but I felt we spent more time defending was because we allowed Birmingham to come on to us, we had essentially 8 players back defending at almost all times with Kalvin isolated and only Broom or Addei going forward. It was sideways passes from our midfield three and nobody getting forward other than set pieces.

Birmingham didn't really create a lot of chances (one lucky ricochet, one keeper fumble and a penalty) but had all the ball in our half so that could be seen as a positive I guess.