Cheltenham Town v Walsall

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/vWalsallHome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nesty
Dawson, Graham and Forster among a fairly string bench
Robin
No Kalvin, I really hope I was wrong when I questioned the clearance taking a long time and putting the deal in jeopardy...
Artemis
Does he need international clearance for a friendly? He's played in the others without it.
Nesty
is the McCoulsky deal still on? apologies for spelling
Last edited by Nesty on 28 Jul 2018, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
Si Robin
Artemis wrote:Does he need international clearance for a friendly? He's played in the others without it.
JP tweeted that he has a minor injury as well as awaiting clearance.
Alf
We appear to have some decent signings, just the small matter now of making them into a team....in a week.
I’m sure this will take a bit longer than that but I’m reasonably optimistic for this season.
Robin
As I said last week you cannot read too much into pre-season games but my general thoughts as follows:
1) We've improved a lot over last season. By that I mean we have much more balance to the team, we have competition in almost every position, we've added a lot more power and pace. Most importantly we've added experience to the back line and I think will be strong there this season.
2) If we are lacking somewhere then it's a goal scorer, McCoulskey is needed asap.
3) Duku looks like a good target man who will work hard and cause defenders at our level problems. That said he's still very raw and needs to improve his link play and finishing which is to be expected.
4) I like the look of almost all our new signings, inevitably some will fail but they all look like they add something to this team in their own way.
5) I have no idea what our strongest team is right now or formation. That is probably the biggest worry and we should expect it will take time for them to settle.
Robin
A few other comments regarding today.
- Broom looks a decent player, probably not one I would say makes our strongest eleven but he's in there on merit from what I've seen.
- Dawson did well today when he came on and should be pressing for a start next week.
- Graham is realistically fourth choice striker now and if McCoulskey signs we must surely move him on.
- McCalindon showed some nices touches and link up play. His work rate was very good but not sure I see much goal threat from him though.
- Maddox looks like a better version of Sellars. Not sure what he will be like on a cold Tuesday night in Grimsby as he's small in stature but he puts himself about and can make things happen for us. I think he may need to play in behind the strikers rather than on the wing.
- Flinders has had a couple of iffy moments this pre-season and given away goals in both games I've seen. I hope we are not seeing what Hartlepool fans thought of him i.e. butter fingers.
- Atangana was class today and went box to box rather than holding.