Register    Login    Search    FAQ

CTFC.com Official Site Cheltenham Town FC 500 Club

Other Useful Links:     Leo's Blog    Robins Trust    CTFC Chatter    Football Ground Guide    This is Gloucestershire    News Now    CTFC History Site

Board index » THE NEST » CTFC CHAT ONLY

Page 1 of 1 [ 21 posts ] 

Post subject: Some thoughts on the Crawley defeat
 Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018, 12:30 

Can be read here: http://bit.ly/5ThingsCrawleyHome

Top  Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Some thoughts on the Crawley defeat
 Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018, 13:13 

Sad to see Thomas and Bower not even on the bench.

Interesting thoughts re: needing a big man up top. I wonder who is out there we can sign? Whether a permanent or loan it is role crying out for an experienced (30years +/-) player who knows how to cause defenders strife.

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018, 13:35 

One of the strangest bits I saw from reading the transcript of Johnson post match interview is we don't have a nominated penalty taker.

He said that the last two we've been given have been taken by whoever picked up the ball.

I do find that quite strange. Yes situation over a season or during a game may affect it but you'd think that there would be clear direction over this.

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018, 14:02 

THECHOIRBOY wrote:
you'd think that there would be clear direction over this.

And many other things.

Unlikely to come from a tired, sick old has been, who's only sticking around to top up his pension.

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018, 14:46 

Thomas was on the bench Regency.

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018, 15:39 

horlickfanclub wrote:
Thomas was on the bench Regency.

Sorry, I meant Lloyd.

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018, 16:14 

THECHOIRBOY wrote:
One of the strangest bits I saw from reading the transcript of Johnson post match interview is we don't have a nominated penalty taker.

He said that the last two we've been given have been taken by whoever picked up the ball.

I do find that quite strange. Yes situation over a season or during a game may affect it but you'd think that there would be clear direction over this.

Quite a revealing admission
Clearly not much management going on either on or off the pitch.
Pell must have got fed up of trying to lift the dressing room by himself and after being constantly played
out of position decided to take his talents elsewhere

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018, 16:15 

drgm wrote:
THECHOIRBOY wrote:

Quite a revealing admission
Clearly not much management going on either on or off the pitch.
Pell must have got fed up of trying to lift the dressing room by himself and after being constantly played
out of position decided to take his talents elsewhere

Limited talents*

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018, 16:45 

"Cheltenham were only a penalty Miss away from taking a point"

Think I saw a rather wider gulf between those two teams yesterday

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018, 20:05 

All ifs and buts however I genuinely believe had we scored the penalty we would have gone on to win, we were all over them at that point.

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018, 20:11 

solihullkev wrote:
"Cheltenham were only a penalty Miss away from taking a point"

Think I saw a rather wider gulf between those two teams yesterday

so true, I was looking for GJ to tell Dawson to hand the ball over to the penalty taker. Duku was begging for it, but silence from GJ. bottled it and the rest is history, we were miles away yesterday

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018, 20:21 

Did you see Duku penalty against Walsall? I'm glad he didn't take it to be honest.

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018, 20:39 

I actually thought Dawson was the right person to take the penalty. He's always looked confident and scored some crucial goals for us last season.

The penalty wasn't the worst I've ever seen either - we're told time and again that the best way to beat the keeper is to go high and into the corner - unfortunately he went just too high. Had he just passed it to the keeper, or blasted it wide of the post, then I'd understand the outrage over it, but it was more unfortunate than poor technique in my view.

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018, 20:49 

just on the pitch and because he was greedy and nearest the ball, so he was the right person ? So is the sub our penalty taker ? Certainly was high, but nowhere near the corner. He was greedy and on an ego trip, end of. Early , very early last season he looked L2 after that nothing. And THAT qualifies him to decide who takes our penalties. Not in my name

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018, 21:02 

I'd be more concerned if someone didn't want to take a penalty.

I want to see players being greedy - it shows they want to win.

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018, 21:55 

Or have big egos that don’t match their ability. Surely all teams have designated penalty takers. Next we’ll have people running onto the pitch from the stands offering to take them. Bloody shambles.

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018, 23:38 

We lost arguably our best 3 players at the club in Mo,Pell and Winchester and simply haven't replaced their roles with anyone near the same quality or experience. It seems to me we have gambled on all the experience going into the back 4 and defensive mids (Long,Mullins,Hussey,Tozer) and signed youngsters and non league prospects in the attacking department. The lack of experience up top is frightening. I wouldn't expect an entertaining season of goals and free flowing football as we simply don't have the players to pull it off. Yet we seem to be spending some of the Eisa money on another non league player... We need some experience up top. People talk about poor crowds but what do you expect when you sell your best players and replace them with non league players it screams lack of ambition. Add into that we have a manager who has been tactically useless for a while now and frequently gets outmanaged like on Saturday. We don't even have an assigned penalty taker what are they doing in training?!

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018, 07:20 

HMMM I don't want to appear to much of a doom monger but watching the two benches from close by our manager and assistant manager seemed very subdued compaired to the opposition management who seemed to be able to fire up their players more than ours. It is no use just sitting there pointing and looking at endless notes on a clip board. If it takes a kick up the backside give them one, players and staff jobs depend on what goes on the pitch for 90 minutes, every game. Lets see some fire in the belly, come on you robins.

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018, 08:07 

That was frustrating to watch, Tozer and Nige are not a good pairing. Neither offer enough going forward, i think Tozer is a good squad player, but we need better than this if we are going to score and create goals from midfield. Our formation was alarming, beginning with two strikers before dropping Liam into a right wing position which he was half doing and very ineffective at, we left gaping holes down our right hand side for Crawley to exploit. We were lucky that we weren't out of to still be in the game at half time and it was much the same for the start of the second half. We looked a greater threat after the substitutes and their goal, but was this because they naturally dropped back and invited us onto them? Probably. Lots to do, we looked like we didn't know each other out there, players challenging for the same ball and not covering for one another. Its easy in hindsight but I would have liked Duku to take the penalty again and hopefully get off the mark for the season.

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018, 10:25 

Benctfc wrote:
We lost arguably our best 3 players at the club in Mo,Pell and Winchester and simply haven't replaced their roles with anyone near the same quality or experience. It seems to me we have gambled on all the experience going into the back 4 and defensive mids (Long,Mullins,Hussey,Tozer) and signed youngsters and non league prospects in the attacking department. The lack of experience up top is frightening. I wouldn't expect an entertaining season of goals and free flowing football as we simply don't have the players to pull it off. Yet we seem to be spending some of the Eisa money on another non league player... We need some experience up top. People talk about poor crowds but what do you expect when you sell your best players and replace them with non league players it screams lack of ambition. Add into that we have a manager who has been tactically useless for a while now and frequently gets outmanaged like on Saturday. We don't even have an assigned penalty taker what are they doing in training?!

We've just offered a club record fee for a player if it goes through it will be the 2nd largest outlay by a league two team this summer, is that really a lack of ambition? Just looking at it from a different angle.

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018, 11:02 

longtimerobin wrote:
HMMM I don't want to appear to much of a doom monger but watching the two benches from close by our manager and assistant manager seemed very subdued compaired to the opposition management who seemed to be able to fire up their players more than ours. It is no use just sitting there pointing and looking at endless notes on a clip board. If it takes a kick up the backside give them one, players and staff jobs depend on what goes on the pitch for 90 minutes, every game. Lets see some fire in the belly, come on you robins.

No passion/ambition,might just as well watch from stand.

Page 1 of 1 [ 21 posts ] 

Board index » THE NEST » CTFC CHAT ONLY