Ratings

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

little mo
Jon Palmers ratings in the Football League Paper today:

Flinders 7
Baldwin 6 (Broom 5)
Debayo 6
Mullins 6
Boyle 6
Addai 7 (Kalala 6)
Tozer 6
Atangana 7
Maddox 6
Duku 6
Mcalinden 5 (Dawson 6)

Referee 8
Robin
Strange ratings in my opinion. Broom I thought did well when he came on and Kalala too.
kags
Harsh on Broom, I thought all the subs had a positive impact. Nigel and Tozer worth a 5 at best, couldn’t pass more than 5 yards and looked slow.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
In his own report / 5 things learned JP said Kalala added new impetus when he came on and made a positive difference to the team performance. Yet here gives him a lower score than the player he replaced, and Atangana, and the same as most of the other players.

How are we meant to interpret this?
Lord Elpuz
The introduction of Broom, Dawson & Kalala put Cheltenham on the front foot for the first time in the game. Although Crawley edged the game overall and deserved their win, they were mostly hoofing the ball upfield in response to our 3 subs coming on.

Kalala in particular deserves a 7 marking and if he’d been on longer, perhaps even higher, as he frightened the Crawley defence into mistakes. Even the sponsors gave him MotM.
Shade
Can't argue with these responses. All 3 subs added something. Kalala was going past players like they weren't there, just let down by that shot which disappeared way up into the tree - some feat.

Was Atangana's worst game for us, I though. He had a real off day with his passing. It happens, especially at this level. Hopefully it was just a blip.

Personally, I'd be giving the referee a 4 at best as well. What the hell was he doing in the first half where he seemed to blow the whistle for a pass back to their keeper, which it blatantly was, only to then give a drop ball because a couple of them protested and have us kick it back? And other than the penalty and a few absolutely blatant fouls, he seemed to give us jack all and anything to a Crawley player that shouted loud enough.
horlickfanclub
Bizarre set of scores from the reporter. Derek Goddard will be looking down bemused.
asl
What's the rule about the back-pass? The ball clearly came off the defender's knee (not his hip as he was claiming!) and was clearly intentional. Does it have to come off the foot?
Si Robin
It has to come off the foot I believe.
Shade
"Back-passes with parts of the body other than the foot, such as headers, are not prohibited."

"but defenders are not permitted to attempt to use a deliberate trick to pass the ball to the goalkeeper with a part of the body other than the foot to circumvent the rule."

It was a very deliberate pass back to the keeper with his knee. I don't know why that wouldn't count as a back-pass, but apparently it's legal. I never knew that because it seems stupid. Should be deliberate pass back to the keeper with any body part of the legs or feet, as far as I'm concerned.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
One touch FA Doubles; head and knee didn’t count as a touch.
Andy
Shade wrote:"Back-passes with parts of the body other than the foot, such as headers, are not prohibited."

"but defenders are not permitted to attempt to use a deliberate trick to pass the ball to the goalkeeper with a part of the body other than the foot to circumvent the rule."

It was a very deliberate pass back to the keeper with his knee. I don't know why that wouldn't count as a back-pass, but apparently it's legal. I never knew that because it seems stupid. Should be deliberate pass back to the keeper with any body part of the legs or feet, as far as I'm concerned.
Agree with you - as doesn't handball - over the years - now includes the whole arm...rather than just the hand?
Shade
Indeed. Anything below the shoulder is handball I believe.
Malabus
I’m going to struggle went get home with all these new faces in Cheltenham shirts.
Shade
Just look at a few pictures on this here internet, you quickly get used to who's who by body size, shape and haircut.