Carabao Cup - R2 wishlist

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jerry St Clair
Nothing hugely inspiring, but a few possibly interesting ties. When you actually look at the list of Premier League teams you realise how banal it is. In order of preference, I'd like:

Reading (a)
Reading (h)
Aston Villa (a)
Aston Villa (h)
West Brom (h)
West Brom (a)
Southampton (h)
Bournemouth (h)

Pretty much anything else can do one.
Shade
I'd like another League 2 team that we can beat, thanks. Round 3 is where we want to be and we're very unlikely to beat any of those teams at the moment. Probably get a demoralising smashing, in fact.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Rather Fulham than WBA or Bournemouth; the chance to see Ryan Sessegnon should inspire any younger fan and our younger players.
Robin
Villa is the stand out glamour tie and would be a sell out here and would surely see us take a huge following up the M5. I'd also like Reading away as it's not too far and a cracking ground.

By the way is Cardiff away an option? That could be a good one.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Wolves a much better and bigger club than Villa these days.
Robin
Loads of Villa fans in Cheltenham though, not sure Wolves are a bigger club either but I'd gladly draw them in the next round.
Shade
Actually, Bristol Rovers away. Fancy some saucy half-time entertainment... :P

(If you haven't heard, apparently somebody flicked Babestation on to one of their big screens at half time last night. The club say someone must have had a universal remote...)
Jerry St Clair
Robin wrote:Loads of Villa fans in Cheltenham though, not sure Wolves are a bigger club either but I'd gladly draw them in the next round.
True. And there is generally a smattering of Wolves fans at Cheltenham station travelling up when they are at home.

The only thing about Wolves is that they have a particularly thuggish fanbase. I've had run-ins with them on two separate occasions and don't want to really repeat the experience.
Jerry St Clair
Shade wrote:I'd like another League 2 team that we can beat
Make up your own punchline, kids.
Jerry St Clair
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Rather Fulham than WBA or Bournemouth; the chance to see Ryan Sessegnon should inspire any younger fan and our younger players.
Yes, you can have that. Fulham is, by some distance, my favourite away trip. Not possible to get back to Cheltenham by train after an evening game though.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Rather Fulham than WBA or Bournemouth; the chance to see Ryan Sessegnon should inspire any younger fan and our younger players.
Yes, you can have that. Fulham is, by some distance, my favourite away trip. Not possible to get back to Cheltenham by train after an evening game though.
No train but there are two bus options:

1. Take the Dicky line to Victoria and get the 11pm (might be 11:30pm) National Express. I have done this even after watching games going to extra time.

2. Park and ride on the Oxford Tube, and hope that you sober up enough on the coach from London to Oxford for the drive back along the A40.
Robin
To be fair mid-week you can barely get a train back from anywhere after 10pm (even Brum and Bristol are difficult). We still took 1200 or so to West Ham mid-week and that was a difficult trek, could see 1500-2000 going Villa or Wolves mid-week as both are just under an hour away.
leohoenig
I see nothing here https://www.efl.com/news/2018/june/extr ... p-matches/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to say that the second round has become regionalised.
hand_shandy
Shade wrote:I'd like another League 2 team that we can beat, thanks. Round 3 is where we want to be and we're very unlikely to beat any of those teams at the moment. Probably get a demoralising smashing, in fact.
Macclesfield it is then
Jerry St Clair
leohoenig wrote:I see nothing here https://www.efl.com/news/2018/june/extr ... p-matches/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to say that the second round has become regionalised.
https://www.efl.com/news/2018/august/ro ... ky-sports/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Round Two draw sees the inclusion of the 13 Premier League clubs who are not competing in European competitions, alongside Sky Bet Championship sides Stoke City and Swansea City.

The draw is unseeded but will be regionalised into North and South sections. The remaining seven Premier League clubs will enter the competition in Round Three.
Robin
So we have 23 potential options, good draws in my eyes as follows:
Cardiff (A)
Crystal Palace (H/A)
Fulham (H/A)
Reading (A)
West Ham (H/A)
Southampton (H/A)

Bad draws (low crowds & chance of progress):
Millwall (H/A)
Swansea (H/A)
Bristol Rovers (H/A)
Brentford (H/A)
Norwich (H/A)
QPR (H/A)

Low crowd but realistic chance of progress:
FGR
Wycombe
AFC Wimbledon
Newport
Oxford
Exeter

Some how Villa are in the North end of the draw so not an option.
leohoenig
Jerry St Clair wrote:
leohoenig wrote:I see nothing here https://www.efl.com/news/2018/june/extr ... p-matches/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to say that the second round has become regionalised.
https://www.efl.com/news/2018/august/ro ... ky-sports/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Round Two draw sees the inclusion of the 13 Premier League clubs who are not competing in European competitions, alongside Sky Bet Championship sides Stoke City and Swansea City.

The draw is unseeded but will be regionalised into North and South sections. The remaining seven Premier League clubs will enter the competition in Round Three.
Was it regionalised last season, the draw does appear to be North/South, excepting Newport County!!
Nesty
we are ball number 7 in the South draw
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
leohoenig wrote:
Jerry St Clair wrote:

Was it regionalised last season, the draw does appear to be North/South, excepting Newport County!!
Keep up at the back.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:So we have 23 potential options, good draws in my eyes as follows:
Cardiff (A)
Crystal Palace (H/A)
Fulham (H/A)
Reading (A)
West Ham (H/A)
Southampton (H/A)

Bad draws (low crowds & chance of progress):
Millwall (H/A)
Swansea (H/A)
Bristol Rovers (H/A)
Brentford (H/A)
Norwich (H/A)
QPR (H/A)

Low crowd but realistic chance of progress:
FGR
Wycombe
AFC Wimbledon
Newport
Oxford
Exeter

Some how Villa are in the North end of the draw so not an option.
Villa - same reason as Gloucester being in the north feeder a few years back. To balance the numbers. Not much further north than Norwich (it at all) but Norwich much better connected to the south than it is the north so makes sense.

You missed Bournemouth, Brighton, MK Dons, Plymouth and Watford off your list.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 15 Aug 2018, 17:29, edited 3 times in total.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Full list of teams in each region and their draw numbers on the official club website:

https://www.ctfc.com/news/2018/august/c ... w-details/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
All those teams are bad draws with the exception of MK Dons because they are probably beatable. Am I right in thinking the only new grounds are West Ham, Reading, Cardiff and Fulham for us? Those would be my preference.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:All those teams are bad draws with the exception of MK Dons because they are probably beatable. Am I right in thinking the only new grounds are West Ham, Reading, Cardiff and Fulham for us? Those would be my preference.
I think so. Quite a difference in age of those stadia - Craven Cottage opened 116 years before the London Stadium was used in the Olympics.
Malabus
When is the draw?
Robin
Today I believe.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
7pm-ish today, live on Sky before the Sunderland vs Sheff Wed tie.
pas
So it's Brentford - Away
Robin
Jeez very underwhelming draw that one.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Brentford will be viewing it as a bye to round 3. Let’s prove otherwise.

Wimbledon at home to West Ham. TV game guaranteed unless the media luvvies can’t stop creaming themselves in time.
Jerry St Clair
Brentford is a decent away trip. Griffin Park used to be the only ground in the country with a pub on each corner, though I think they're down to three now.

Frustratingly there is a train that leaves Brentford that will get you back to Cheltenham just before 1am - but it leaves at 21.23.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote:Brentford is a decent away trip. Griffin Park used to be the only ground in the country with a pub on each corner, though I think they're down to three now.

Frustratingly there is a train that leaves Brentford that will get you back to Cheltenham just before 1am - but it leaves at 21.23.
If you can get a volunteer to drive, the classic ‘park at Northolt and get the tube’ tactic might be useful. Even then the driver could enjoy a straight from the brewery Honey Dew pre-match. Bloody love Honey Dew!
Nesty
the usual c!#p draw
Shade
I don't think we can complain about c!#p draws when we've had Newcastle and West Ham in 2 of the last 3 seasons.
joes dad
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Wolves a much better and Bigger club than Villa these days.
:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
joes dad wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Wolves a much better and Bigger club than Villa these days.
:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Just to clarify; the incorrect capitalisation of the B in bigger was not in my original post and was erroneously added when joes dad quoted me.