stick or twist?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Two disappointing results and performances against unfancied sides, the loan window closing in two weeks time. Do we stick with GJ or twist and bring in a new manager?

For the first time I feel there are genuine cause for discussing the above and I'm on the fence.
Johnsons Red Army
I'd stick and give him longer. Replace in time for January window if still no better.
Horteng
Twist

Got to arrest the fall......
Nesty
as others have said GJ should have gone at the end of last season. The only thing that seemed to save his arse was the money he generated by signing MO, but that has been questioned.
I feel enough is enough. I say twist and give a new manager till the end of the month to sign some decent loan players (and not from Bristol City).
We have had two seasons of pure dross., do we want another?
Robin
Any suggestions on new manager Nesty? As I say I am on the fence, before today I would say GJ is only sacked if we fall into the bottom six for a sustained period but failure to add a decent striker and poor performances against beatable opposition is making me wonder if we should bring someone else in.
CTFC03
Twist, saw a lot of people commenting on the game saying we should have lost by 4 or 5. Mullins & Flinders were the apparent stand outs again.
Fuller
Doesn't matter what WE think.

Any decision will be made by the Chairman and his co-directors.

But I know what I'd do and I'd do it quick.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
We twisted by selling Mo with no intention of spending the money and risking cheap signings. I would have stuck with Mo.
Robin
I would be very surprised if the board are not at least considering the situation Fuller. I just hope if he is sacked it's done with a plan i.e. we know what options are out there and they get the next appointment right i.e. not another Buckle.
drgm
Eight defeats in nine games now
The fire's gone out
Get rid before he wastes the transfer money
drgm
Eight defeats in nine games now
The fire's gone out
Get rid before he wastes the transfer money
Robin
Anyone have a list of realistic out of work managers or those we could poach from elsewhere?
Robin
https://www.transfermarkt.com/trainer/v ... 189&plus=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This makes grim reading out of contract managers:
- Steve Cotterill
- Ian Holloway
- Brian McDermott
- Lee Clark
- Richie Wellens
- Keith Millen
- Simon Grayson
- Paul Buckle
- Paul Hart
- Gary Bowyer
- Russell Slade
- Ronnie Moore
- Graham Westley
- Keith Curle
Robin
Of the above you'd imagine Bowyer/Slade/Moore/Westley/Curle all realistic targets but not overly inspiring. SC will always be linked and given our war chest may be slightly more realistic this time but I doubt it. Ian Holloway may not be totally far fetched at this point in his career but again I'm stretching.
Fuller
Buckle, Slade or Westley - one of those three would be my choice.

Not.
Robin
I suspect we would be looking at either Bowyer or Curle realistically unless we poach a manager from another club.
Si Robin
After what Gary Bowyer had to work with at Blackburn and Blackpool, and what he achieved at both, we could do a lot worse.

Not sure he'd come down here though.

I'm very much a twist now - I just don't see any positivity at the moment.
Gavin
Jerry Gill anyone?
Robin
That's true he worked wonders with both in difficult circumstances, I'd be happy if we appoint him here as a replacement to GJ. Curle I think would make us solid but not confident he'd get us promoted or leave us in a better place after his tenure.
Robin
Gavin wrote:Jerry Gill anyone?

In a word no.
Robin
Another name I missed but probably unlikely Darren Ferguson. Richie Wellens is odds on for the Blackpool job so we can probably discount him.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Garrard.
Fuller
Interesting to see if a new man does come in what will happen to the back room staff ?

Russ and Bookie CTFC through and through but you never know.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
We all know Russ would be given the job until ‘the right person is found’.
Fuller
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:We all know Russ would be given the job until ‘the right person is found’.

Usually the case and expect Russ and Downsie to do the job.

But Johny Mullins sounds like he's made of the right stuff listening to his interview on the radio earlier. He'd galvanise a few.
Ihearye
Robin wrote:Any suggestions on new manager Nesty? As I say I am on the fence, before today I would say GJ is only sacked if we fall into the bottom six for a sustained period but failure to add a decent striker and poor performances against beatable opposition is making me wonder if we should bring someone else in.
how do you define a sustained period ?
How long to we stay poor before it is too late to claw our way back. Danger is by time we decide (if we have to), can anyone turn it around. Can't think of any manager who has had two such poor seasons yet is still at the club.
Robin
I would say six games or so. Bottom eight is unacceptable in my eyes, I've said consistently GJ needs a top half finish this time to save his job.
THECHOIRBOY
Most on that list aren't particularly inspiring. I'd like a manager with something to prove to galvanise. I recognise that's risky business but Garrad is a shout and Gill is doing a great job at Bath and keen on bringing youth through

Though I can't see any reason why Downes is hanging around unless he's being lined up to replace Johnson at some point.
JasonFailor
Call up Antonio Conte and tell him that Chel-*phone crackle* want him to prove to Abramovich that he's still got it. When he's reading the the contract, make sure we put our thumbs over the "-tenham" part and then, once he's signed on the dotted line, we've got him trapped! Sorted 8-).
Robin
Gill would be a terrible appointment, seemingly only being mentioned as he used to play for us. I want a manager who has some sort of proven track record, contacts in the game and gives us hope of promotion back to league one. I think Bowyer could fit that description, Curle/Gill are non-inspiring but probably the sort of manager we'll end up with.
Benctfc
It was obvious GJ should have gone in the Summer and the new man given the chance to build his squad. The awful pre season and summer transfer have proved this added in to that 2 poor opening game defeats. IF the board feels the same they need to act quickly to give the new man the chance to bring in loans before the loan window ends otherwise we are stuffed until January.
Robin
The window started so well with impressive recruitment the deciding factor was the absolute failure to replace Mo and then the baffling decision to sign McAlindon on a two year deal. Any new man probably only needs to add a couple of players and find a formation which works.
Benctfc
Robin wrote:The window started so well with impressive recruitment the deciding factor was the absolute failure to replace Mo and then the baffling decision to sign McAlindon on a two year deal. Any new man probably only needs to add a couple of players and find a formation which works.
I agree to an extent if we added a proven league striker and another experienced attacking midfielder we would look a much better side. I don't think the defence is that bad but the attacking threat atm is non existent. The problem is we have a manager who is subborn and wont admit hes wrong and refuses to change the system or bring experienced players in up top.
Benctfc
There are players out there even someone like Cody McDonald on a free would massively improve this squad a player who would easily get 10 or 15 goals in this league and has proven himself at this level. The need for a striker is even greater now Duku is out injured.
Robin
Yes this is my biggest frustration it's like he's decided to 4-4-2 this season even though it doesn't best fit the players we have, he did the same towards the end of last season and it meant Pell out wide. Either pick a formation and sign players for it or pick the best formation for the players we have which is surely 5-3-2 or 4-3-3.