Cheltenham Town v Carlisle United

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news (likely to be unchanged), live updates and video reaction all here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/CarlisleUnitedHome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I-Love-CTFC
Ben Tozer playing as a striker. Wow!
Ralph
On the Ifollow stream we seem to have Radio Glos commentating which is good. They are very unhappy with GJ and the lack of a striker. Not sure if this a one off on the commentary as it was hard to hear last week but very clear today
Nesty
MH very critical of GJ
Alf
I know we’re not used to the highest quality of refereeing in Div 2 but this bloke has taken it to new lows. Carlisle getting away with murder.
I-Love-CTFC
This cannot continue. Clueless tactics and substitutions, falling crowds. Has Mr Wilcox got the bottle to do the right thing and sack Johnson?
I-Love-CTFC
JP has just tweeted that the board are meeting to discuss Gary Johnson’s future as Cheltenham Town manager.
Ihearye
Something has got to happen. Either GJ can explain his plan and convince them it acn be achieved. He is offered help in the form of a new member of the management team (would he accept this?) or he is replaced. We can drift on and have s striker just signed sitting on the bench while an average mid field player is played up front. Not the greatest show of suport for MacAlinden
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I-Love-CTFC wrote:JP has just tweeted that the board are meeting to discuss Gary Johnson’s future as Cheltenham Town manager.
I also have good reason to believe that JP had lunch with Ian Hutton and one other from the club (maybe Paul G) before the match, reviewing statistics from GJ’s time in charge. Could be innocent and routine, or could have been preparation for an obituary?
I-Love-CTFC
What are the odds that Mr Wilcox gives the job to his mate Lee Carsley?
Rulistening
At least this should spell the end of Johnson.. Shame it ended so sour with his stay here but it was painfully obvious he should've gone last season, im very disappointed the board took the easy route and kept him on, allowing him to cause more damage to the club by giving him another transfer window to buy a load of rubbish and play them as far out of position as possible.

The fact we had 2 strikers on the bench and he brought on TOZER at striker. I just can't believe it.

Hope we get the appointment right! but anything is better than this (apart from Mr Buckle!!!!)
longmover
He's been out of his depth since we got back in the league.
theidlerich
I-Love-CTFC wrote:What are the odds that Mr Wilcox gives the job to his mate Lee Carsley?
even Uncle Tom C and all could probably do better! To think I 'raced' back from a kiddies party to watch that garbage too.....
tunnelvision
Rulistening wrote:The fact we had 2 strikers on the bench and he brought on TOZER at striker. I just can't believe it.
He tried this tactic last season with Pell and it didn't work! His only Plan B is hoof-ball.

Also unbelievable was that he took off Kalala when he wasn't injured FFS!
Benctfc
The sad thing is if he walked at the end of last season when what was best for all parties he wouldn'y have tarnished his reputation.
longmover
Indeed, PB didn't have the balls
Benctfc
longmover wrote:Indeed, PB didn't have the balls
Let's hope Mr Wilcox has....
Jerry St Clair
Right decision, but terrible timing. Clubs who sack managers in August rarely end up in a good place. If they sack him I hope it’s because they have a replacement already inline with a plan to rescue this season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
I-Love-CTFC wrote:JP has just tweeted that the board are meeting to discuss Gary Johnson’s future as Cheltenham Town manager.
I also have good reason to believe that JP had lunch with Ian Hutton and one other from the club (maybe Paul G) before the match, reviewing statistics from GJ’s time in charge. Could be innocent and routine, or could have been preparation for an obituary?
Obituary it was then. Seems like this was on the cards pre-match.
I-Love-CTFC
Gary Johnson has NOT been sacked.
Chairman Andy Wilcox: "We have met as a board and with Gary. We wanted to know his thoughts, ask him what his plans are and how he felt about the game. The outcome is that we are backing him at the moment and it's crucial he makes some signings in the area we are clearly lacking"

Spineless. So we wait until the end of the loan window when the new manager can't do anything.
longmover
GJ runs this club not the board.
Ihearye
Tbh it was one of the options open to the board and not surprised they chose it. Now he has to PROVE he does have a plan
darreno
The big danger now is that he puts all the cash on red, and it turns out black.
Rulistening
Im a season ticket holder, and if he's managing for our next home game i am debating not going. I've had enough of his awful style of play and his stupid decision making for substitutions. SO disappointed that the board has YET AGAIN shown no backbone and no ambition to change whats very clearly wrong. This was our chance to get fans back on board getting rid of gary and uniting the fans, now we have to deal with more negativity and waiting for the inevitable sacking which he deserves.

Absolutely furious at this, just so disappointing.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Rulistening wrote:Im a season ticket holder, and if he's managing for our next home game i am debating not going. I've had enough of his awful style of play and his stupid decision making for substitutions. SO disappointed that the board has YET AGAIN shown no backbone and no ambition to change whats very clearly wrong. This was our chance to get fans back on board getting rid of gary and uniting the fans, now we have to deal with more negativity and waiting for the inevitable sacking which he deserves.

What seat you in? If near me then it would be good to know a friend can buy a ticket and use your empty seat.

It wouldn’t have united me - I would have been disappointed the Board succumbed to a few chants and tweets from a minority lobby group who never seem to be satisfied.
Rulistening
Rulistening wrote:Im a season ticket holder, and if he's managing for our next home game i am debating not going. I've had enough of his awful style of play and his stupid decision making for substitutions. SO disappointed that the board has YET AGAIN shown no backbone and no ambition to change whats very clearly wrong. This was our chance to get fans back on board getting rid of gary and uniting the fans, now we have to deal with more negativity and waiting for the inevitable sacking which he deserves.

What seat you in? If near me then it would be good to know a friend can buy a ticket and use your empty seat.

It wouldn’t have united me - I would have been disappointed the Board succumbed to a few chants and tweets from a minority lobby group who never seem to be satisfied.
I think the entire stadium will have plenty of empty seats available to be honest with you. down to 2400 today and thats going to go down further next game against colchester (I think thats the next home game?) and are you having a laugh calling the calls for a change of manager to be in the minority? Its around 80% wanting him gone vs around 20%. thats a HUGE divide. Now how does that get fixed?

1) Replacing the manager
2) GJ turns it around

We haven't even scored a league goal, he keeps 2 strikers on the bench and subs on a CDM uptop over these 2 to begin with.. He's lost it for me, i completely respect peoples opinions on if they want him in/out. But its obvious that the majority want him gone.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Rulistening wrote:

I think the entire stadium will have plenty of empty seats available to be honest with you. down to 2400 today and thats going to go down further next game against colchester (I think thats the next home game?) and are you having a laugh calling the calls for a change of manager to be in the minority? Its around 80% wanting him gone vs around 20%. thats a HUGE divide. Now how does that get fixed?

1) Replacing the manager
2) GJ turns it around

We haven't even scored a league goal, he keeps 2 strikers on the bench and subs on a CDM uptop over these 2 to begin with.. He's lost it for me, i completely respect peoples opinions on if they want him in/out. But its obvious that the majority want him gone.
80%? Give over. Where on Earth have you derived that from? Maybe in your little group on Facebook and Twitter or on the terraces. But certainly not in the Colin Farmer or other season ticket holders I know. Pathetic.

The easy and cowardly decision would have been to pandered to the angry mob and sack Gary this evening with no succession plan or any plan in place. Much braver and stronger to do what they did knowing mugs like you would slag them off.
Rulistening
9 losses in 10 games, is it 5 wins in 26 games? please explain to the "angry mob" why keeping this man is a good idea? that is beyond relegation form and would be set for one of the lowest points totals in recent years if that continued.

Like i said, I can respect your/anyones opinion on wanting him to stay, But dont try and tell me the majority aren't wanting him out. This is beyond a "small vocal minority" making noise on social media. There is very clearly a huge divide between fans and I don't see how GJ can turn this around anymore, losing the fans is a death sentence for any manager in football and the clock is now ticking. i just want the board to open their eyes and not accept relegation form and hoofball football. i expect better from my club. And to be honest- subbing on a CDM at ST with 2 on the bench is a sack-able offence on its own- that is ADMITTING he got his transfer business wrong yet again.

There's no right/wrong answer and i'd love to see both sides put their points across. however this forum seems very defensive over change, new users are put off by the old boys throwing insults at people when they don't agree with what they say. So this forum is just full of people with the exact same thoughts like a hivemind :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Rulistening wrote:9 losses in 10 games, is it 5 wins in 26 games? please explain to the "angry mob" why keeping this man is a good idea? that is beyond relegation form and would be set for one of the lowest points totals in recent years if that continued.

Like i said, I can respect your/anyones opinion on wanting him to stay, But dont try and tell me the majority aren't wanting him out. This is beyond a "small vocal minority" making noise on social media. There is very clearly a huge divide between fans and I don't see how GJ can turn this around anymore, losing the fans is a death sentence for any manager in football and the clock is now ticking. i just want the board to open their eyes and not accept relegation form and hoofball football. i expect better from my club. And to be honest- subbing on a CDM at ST with 2 on the bench is a sack-able offence on its own- that is ADMITTING he got his transfer business wrong yet again.

There's no right/wrong answer and i'd love to see both sides put their points across. however this forum seems very defensive over change, new users are put off by the old boys throwing insults at people when they don't agree with what they say. So this forum is just full of people with the exact same thoughts like a hivemind :lol:
I am not saying keeping him is a good idea and I agree re: strikers; just making the point that in business making a rash decision after a period of set-backs with no clear plan in place for seeing the decision through or knowledge of how it will impact, when current actions to improve the situation are still ongoin, is not the best approach.

Now is the time to start planning for post-GJ in case loans and current players gelling and getting up to fitness doesn’t change things. I thought most of the game was exciting and much better than last season’s boring hoof and slow football. A couple of pieces needed to complete the puzzle but even without them we were unlucky not to score today. Certainly glad I made the five hour trip for the game and look forward to seeing the young players improve as they get more League experience (than just three games) and hopefully some more support alongside them.

Agree also regarding this forum being like an anti-GJ hivemind.

Re: insults. Spouting made up tosh like your 80% claim will rightly result in insults and derision from those who want more informed conversation.
Del Boy
If you keep doing the same things you cannot be surprised when you get the same results. Johnson has been possibly our worst league manager. We were awful two seasons ago, awful last season when only Eisa kept us up and look to be even worse this season. He's already ensured this season is going to be dire by signing a load of players on two-year contracts and no new manager is going to be able to change that.

I'll never understand why he didn't go at the end of last season at the latest.

He clearly doesn't rate several of the players he signed just a few weeks ago else he wouldn't have played a slow midfielder up front.

The play-off talk a few weeks ago was obviously absurd but his appalling recruitment could easily be disastrous.
Artemis
To be fair to Gary, he realised that Addai and KLK weren't going to get any change out of the Carlisle defence and get on the end of the crosses that were coming in. He wanted a big man up top. He doesn't have a physical presence other than Tozer. So he tried him. We nearly scored a couple of times after that.

GJ now needs to pull a rabbit out of a hat. Getting Lee to loan Mo to us would fall into that category.

And as for 80%, I say 10% want him gone. My made up figure is as valid as yours - both done to suit our own agendas.
Robin
I like GJ but seriously what was he thinking signing McAlindon on a two year deal? Baffling to me.
Ihearye
Have lost belief in GJ but agree he should be told he has bought his squad, no win 75% of your next 4 matches with YOUR players. With Robin on the MacA signing as it seems a poor midfielder is a better option. A new low
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I like GJ but seriously what was he thinking signing McAlindon on a two year deal? Baffling to me.
One imagines that if he was signed on a one year deal, and hit a good run of form for us, then you would be asking why he was only signed on a one year deal and not two.