GJ Gone

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Horteng
You heard it here first
darreno
If no improvement in results by end of August then yes it looks inevitable.
CS85
He's currently begging for his job in the board room.
Nesty
Robin
I hope the board have a successor lined up who can sign a couple of decent strikers this week. Today was so painful to watch, we don't have a bad team overall but it's almost criminal we played 70 minutes without a recognised striker.
Artemis
Are you there too CS85??

If the board are discussing matters with him, I suggest it's a last chance "what are you going to do, Gary to make stop the rot", kind of conversation.

Some great crosses went in today. Trouble is when Addai and Broom are the only ones in there, then the answer is obvious.
Robin
Team played ok today I thought but it was absolutely painful with no strikers.
CS85
No i am not,but jon Palmer has been updating on Twitter, Gary Johnson called up to board meeting and has since came back out.
Just waiting for any kind of announcement.....
Artemis
So the "begging for his job" is perhaps wishful thinking?
CS85
I'm not totally against him tbh.he deserves alot of credit for getting us out of the conference as its a hell of an achievement but his league record is just absolutely shocking.
I think the majority hope he is about to be sacked.
Ihearye
Am not too hung up on GJ being replaced. Would be happy if he accepts the fact he needs an assistant in to present a different view and fresh ideas. Also heard that the lads played ok today, but another loss
Red dog
Robin wrote:Team played ok today I thought but it was absolutely painful with no strikers.
It's understandable that GJ started with the team that won last however they where void of an time served striker today, I agree the game was decent we actually looked like we could have got the draw in the last 10
Red dog
Robin wrote:Team played ok today I thought but it was absolutely painful with no strikers.
It's understandable that GJ started with the team that won last however they where void of an time served striker today, I agree the game was decent we actually looked like we could have got the draw in the last 10
longmover
GJ remains as manager, the board have bottled it, chance to show a sign of strength but failed.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Red dog wrote:
And the first 20 I thought we were all over them. Tearing through the channels, balls across the face, and the well rehearsed free-kick move almost worked a treat. But the lack of League experience and League fitness meant we didn’t really have an obvious opportunity to score.

And our good crossing positions nullified by both strikers and both wingers being so tiny - set prices when the tall men came up was the only time crossing was effective, forcing two goal line clearance and one handball not given.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote:You heard it here first
We can bump this thread in the future when it happens.

I will also add: Gary’s successor sacked, you heard it here first.

Anyone brave enough to call the demise of the successor to the successor?
Artemis
I agree there RCS. Some wonderful crosses put in by Debayo and Broom. But no one over 5ft to get on the end of them.

Some good signs, but when you physical presence is Ben Tozer, there's clearly a problem.
asl
Earth destroyed after sun expands before collapsing into a white dwarf. You heard it here first.
Artemis
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Horteng wrote:You heard it here first
We can bump this thread in the future when it happens.

I will also add: Gary’s successor sacked, you heard it here first.

Anyone brave enough to call the demise of the successor to the successor?

And the successors successors successor.

But I guess that's a few years away and we might have folded by then especially if the Mo money is frittered away on over priced Non league strikers or expensive but inexperienced loans.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:Earth destroyed after sun expands before collapsing into a white dwarf. You heard it here first.
Bold call.
art vandalay
Disappointing decision. No points and no goals against 3 teams that have failed to win any other game. A good manager should not be overhauling the whole squad after over 3 years in charge, and we still see glaring weaknesses in the team and players being played out of position.
Red dog
It's wrong to pick out lack of a good striker as the main problem in my option, the midfield can't get a decent ball direct to the forwards the passing and decition making is well below par! Iv been looking at some old clips of the Ex Exeter lad LMc to try and work out if he is worth some patients and to be fair he has a decent left foot and his stats when you way up actual minutes on the pitch is stead of appearances he had a decent goal and Defo assists record, I think it's far to early to be sacking the manager when the team just needs better coaching on how to feed a striker.
Robin
I thought the midfield were vastly improved today vs what I saw against Crawley Thomas had a solid if unspectacular game and put his foot on the ball well.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I thought the midfield were vastly improved today vs what I saw against Crawley Thomas had a solid if unspectacular game and put his foot on the ball well.
Yes, Thomas calm in the middle. Nigel bossed it at times, tackling and driving on. Broom was good to watch, beating men and always looking to go forward. Their left side player was lucky to avoid a red card for his fouls - the only way to stop our pacemen. Maddox in and out of the game but they couldn’t handle him when he found space. A few neat balls in and around the box didn’t quite work out. That will come as the front two get up to speed (of both movement and thought).

Such a pleasure to watch compared to the sideways pass and hoof of last season.
Red dog
Robin wrote:I thought the midfield were vastly improved today vs what I saw against Crawley Thomas had a solid if unspectacular game and put his foot on the ball well.
In some areas agreed but the creativity us to infrequent and the strikers are getting no quality service in the crucial areas, we need more passes on the ground in to the box, crosses in to a 5ft guy ain't going know where.
Robin
But yesterday we had no strikers, we had a winger up top purely because he's quick we also had Kalvin who seems far more like a winger/forward than a real striker.
Shade
Why is this fake news thread pinned to the top?
asl
Shade wrote:Why is this fake news thread pinned to the top?
I've unstickied it. It can be bumped back up in 18 months or so once it's correct and Hoeteng can go "See? Told you."
Malabus
Jan Moby is to return as new manager of Cheltenham*

*Very reliable source
Shade
Last edited by Shade on 21 Aug 2018, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.
Shade
Malabus wrote:Jan Moby
What a dick.
joes dad
Malabus wrote:Jan Moby is to return as new manager of Cheltenham*

*Very reliable source
or.... Jan Molby!
Lord Elpuz
joes dad wrote:
Malabus wrote:Jan Moby is to return as new manager of Cheltenham*

*Very reliable source
or.... Jan Molby!
Surely not. This has to be fake news. If it’s Molby, he has not been involved in Club football for 14 years.

This has the exact hallmarks of the frenzy to replace Mark Yates, and we got Buckle, and look what happened there. It’s a cliche for sure and it’s been said before, but some people need to be very careful what they wish for.
Johnsons Red Army
Gary Johnson sacked by Cheltenham Town after draw at Macclesfield Town: http://bit.ly/JohnsonSackedCTFC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … #ctfc

Credit to JP (atJonPalmerSport - Twitter)
ctfc-fan
I’ll be the first to say ‘thank you Gary’ for getting us back into the league at the first attempt as without that we’d probably be struggling. For that reason you’ll always be a legend at this club and I’m sad it’s ended this way.

Let’s just hope the directors and all those wishing for his head get the answer they’re looking for. Not a dig but you never know who we might end up with and if they’d even be any good.