The facts say it all

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

shevates
The football league stats of our manager since he became our manager.
Pld 102 Won 26 Drawn 27 Lost 49 pts 101 av per game 0.99

Now less than a point a game, do us a favour and walk away Johnson because the Vanarama season is now fading. This season were pointless and youre clueless, shut the door behind you.
Nesty
totally agree Shevates, goodbye Mr J.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
What are the stats post-January 2017? I ask this as this is when Gary decided to start building the squad after giving the Champions their chance. Before this, we correctly, honourably and proudly gave the Champions their opportunity to be the first team squad and no manager could have made them competitive.
shevates
His team totally this season, played 3 lost 3 goals scored NIL points NIL, clueless and pointless. 9 defeats in his last 10 league games with the side that he created.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
shevates wrote:His team totally this season, played 3 lost 3 goals scored NIL points NIL, clueless and pointless. 9 defeats in his last 10 league games with the side that he created.
But this side didn’t play those games last season. That is why he replaced most of the side. And after only three games we can’t properly judge whether they will be an improvement on last season, but on the evidence of what I saw yesterday, the team is playing better and more creative football.

The same way if we win three in a row now we shouldn’t call the new side world beaters and hope Gary gets a contract extension, three games with a new side developing together is too soon to call them hopeless and want Gary gone.
shevates
But it was his side last season Sam and be honest we were poor, and I believe we would of got relegated without Mo's goals. You have to go by facts, IFs dont change things. In my opinion we have played at best 3 mid table sides and have lost three. I dread to think how we will look when we play the better sides, ive felt the first 6 games of the season would be a good guide to were we could finish in the league, and at this present time to me it dosnt look a good read
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
shevates wrote:But it was his side last season Sam and be honest we were poor, and I believe we would of got relegated without Mo's goals. You have to go by facts, IFs dont change things. In my opinion we have played at best 3 mid table sides and have lost three. I dread to think how we will look when we play the better sides, ive felt the first 6 games of the season would be a good guide to were we could finish in the league, and at this present time to me it dosnt look a good read
It was his side, and he has owned up and admitted it was not up to standard, and has overhauled it. Now we wait to judge whether the overhaul is successful - as you say, 6 or so games is a good point to judge.
Lord Elpuz
Now is not a time for vitriol or panic. Please take a leaf from captain Johnny Mullins’ book asking everyone to stay calm.

We all know we need to bring in a proper target man striker. If we get that striker, I fully expect this team to start delivering. We’ve not been slaughtered or outclassed, particularly in the two games this week. In earlier games we have looked like a new team that have not yet jelled, but there are promising signs starting to show. And we still have Long and Hussey to come in.

So, it all hangs on getting a striker, and on that very matter, Gary Johnson’s tenure at the club most probably depends. The Board have give Mr Johnson a stay of execution and we as fans have to respect that. We all know the Board are ready to make any necessary decisions, so we don’t need the fans to turn on anyone, as that doesn’t help the team in the slightest.
shevates
Lord Elpuz gary johnsons love child lol. Weve lost two home games to mediocre sides, and clearly you wernt at Tranmere were we were battered for long periods of the game. Its the quality of the sides which weve lost to that is worrying me. Lose Tuesday at Macc then most will worry. I hope im wrong
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
shevates wrote:Lord Elpuz gary johnsons love child lol. Weve lost two home games to mediocre sides, and clearly you wernt at Tranmere were we were battered for long periods of the game. Its the quality of the sides which weve lost to that is worrying me. Lose Tuesday at Macc then most will worry. I hope im wrong
But. Those. Two. Games. Were. The. First. Games. Many. Of. Our. Players. Had. Played. Together. And. The. First. Time. Several. Had. Played. League. Or. Men’s. Football. So. What. Did. You. Expect.
drgm
All teams are bedding in players to a greater or lesser extent. No excuse there.
If you look at the teams who have beaten us they all only have one win. Against us.

His record since we got back into the league is really poor. No other manager would still be in a job with that record.

His greatest failing is not getting a couple of decent strikers ready for the start of the season. Forget Mo's transfer fee
-the Harry Pell deal was tied up just after the end of the season so there was a six figure fee available to spend right
from the word go. Yesterday was actually a good performance but playing a midfielder up front with a forward on the
bench shows he's still making the same mistakes

I understand he's had a family bereavement and he's had a heart problem but I think the fire has gone out.

I think he's just topping up his pension. If he had any pride (like Bobby Gould) he would have resigned by now. It's
almost as if he's hanging around for a pay off

For God's sake go Gary. Be remembered for the guy who got us back into the league.
Robin
Please stop this rubbish about topping up his pension, I seriously doubt it's true and it's disrespectful to one of our greatest managers. I agree he's stubborn and I agree he probably needs to go but don't put rubbish like that out there when it's unfounded.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Please stop this rubbish about topping up his pension, I seriously doubt it's true and it's disrespectful to one of our greatest managers. I agree he's stubborn and I agree he probably needs to go but don't put rubbish like that out there when it's unfounded.
Agreed. Just shows the unimaginative bitterness of those clamouring for him to go. If that is the depth of the intellectual argument for Gary’s biggest critics, then it shows their evidence is pretty weak.

Moronic comments like this are only going to force more neutrals into the pro-Gary camp. I will back the Board whether they sack or keep, but I have no desire to sit or stand side by side with the idiots making ‘pension topping up’ comments, who do not speak for the vast majority of decent Cheltenham fans.
drgm
Don't be so precious

There's an abvious benefit in being sacked rather than resigning. Standard practice with most managers.

If you want to talk about 'evidence' it's all in front of you.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
drgm wrote:Don't be so precious

There's an abvious benefit in being sacked rather than resigning. Standard practice with most managers.

If you want to talk about 'evidence' it's all in front of you.
The evidence I see is that the Board have laid out the challenge to a proud manager who believes he can raise to the challenge as I would hope most managers would ty and do, and that if he succeeds then good and if he doesn’t the Board will make their decision to dismiss.

Quite how that translates into justifying the slander of a professional manager’s personal character and accusing him of basically setting out to rob the club I fail to see.

Apologies if you think me calling out someone disrespecting someone’s character with unfounded accusations just because they don’t like them is precious. I guess that says something more about you as a person than it does the goings on at CTFC.
drgm
From the guy who claimed that selling Mo to Bristol City enabled Gary and Lee to line
their own pockets. If I could be arsed I'm sure I could find your post. Be careful what you throw around.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
drgm wrote:From the guy who claimed that selling Mo to Bristol City enabled Gary and Lee to line
their own pockets. If I could be arsed I'm sure I could find your post. Be careful what you throw around.
I thought asl would point that out before anyone else!

I suggested that they did a deal to benefit both clubs rather than line their pockets - going on the information provided by JP and something I quickly regretted and disavowed once Andy W provided the more accurate information.
Lord Elpuz
shevates wrote:Lord Elpuz gary johnsons love child lol. Weve lost two home games to mediocre sides, and clearly you wernt at Tranmere were we were battered for long periods of the game. Its the quality of the sides which weve lost to that is worrying me. Lose Tuesday at Macc then most will worry. I hope im wrong
Yeovil beat Notts County 0-4 on Friday night, that’s one of the favourites for the drop thrashing one of the favourites for the title at the ground of potential champions. You cannot possibly predict mediocre sides at this stage of the season. If you can, then I will happily accompany you to the bookies.

The Tranmere goal against Cheltenham should not have been awarded because of a foul on Boyle leading up to the goal. I’d happily have accepted a 0-0 “battering” away from home, if we’d been resolute enough to prevent the home side from scoring - and if the referee and linesman had done their jobs properly, that should have been the case in that game.

That said, I am not in Mr Johnson’s pocket. If you carefully read my post again I am very clearly saying that it is up to the Board to dispense with Mr Johnson’s services when the time comes, and that time could come sooner rather than later if we don’t get the strike force in to turn the results around. I do not, however, advocate a storm of protests DURING a game, because it adversely affects the team and if some of our fans feel that is the way to vent their wrath, then as far as I am concerned those fans are equally as culpable as Gary Johnson for adversely affecting the outcome of a game.
longmover
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:What are the stats post-January 2017? I ask this as this is when Gary decided to start building the squad after giving the Champions their chance. Before this, we correctly, honourably and proudly gave the Champions their opportunity to be the first team squad and no manager could have made them competitive.
Given his performance in the last two pre season transfer windows the whole 'give them a chance angle' seemed more like a cope out to actually go and buy some proven league experience, we ended up with James Jennings.