Danny Rowe

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Do we believe this deal is definitely off? Jon Palmer reported yesterday Flyde want £250,000 and we offered £175,000 with add ons. We are desperate for the lad and clearly have the money, could we go back in with another late off of say £225k?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I assume he can’t sign permanently until Jan and we would need to loan until then? Would he want to leave - Fylde only four or so places below us currently.
Nesty
also a goal yesterday for Danny W
paperboy
...think we have missed our chance now.

Fylde would def hold out for their asking price and the player might think we are going to swap leagues with his current club anyway.

Why oh why we didn't get an experienced forward in before we sold Mo is hard to understand.

We had sold Pell for 100K,we had released Danny Wright, were trying to off load Brian Graham, and it was pretty obvious Mo was going to go.

There was lots of chatter about Akinde being a good option ,which he would have been,but would he have chosen us over Lincoln anyway?--doubtful.

We have been very unfortunate though to lose Duku which hasn't helped.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote:...think we have missed our chance now.

Fylde would def hold out for their asking price and the player might think we are going to swap leagues with his current club anyway.

Why oh why we didn't get an experienced forward in before we sold Mo is hard to understand.

We had sold Pell for 100K,we had released Danny Wright, were trying to off load Brian Graham, and it was pretty obvious Mo was going to go.

There was lots of chatter about Akinde being a good option ,which he would have been,but would he have chosen us over Lincoln anyway?--doubtful.

We have been very unfortunate though to lose Duku which hasn't helped.
Signing before selling Mo, if we paid a fee, would have been risky.

Say we spent £200,000 on a striker, rather than us being able to tell clubs to go fish unless they coughed up close to £1.5m, they could have waited until deadline day and said “here is £600k to clear that debt you have put yourself in, take it or stay in the red.”
drgm
Forget the Mo money. The Pell money was available right from the off. There's no excuse for us being left with such an inadequate forward line.

He's hanging around like a bad smell hoping for a pay off
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
drgm wrote:Forget the Mo money. The Pell money was available right from the off. There's no excuse for us being left with such an inadequate forward line.

He's hanging around like a bad smell hoping for a pay off
Yes, I am sure Gary and the Board deliberately made no effort to sign a striker.

Glad I know now it was just Gary’s fault and that there were lines of £100k strikers waiting to join us and that the next manager will be able to sign strikers easily - much better than any of our managers over the last fifteen years in fact.

Also good to know you have access to the balance sheet to know that the £100k was available to spend and wasn’t needed to fund any other costs like players wages or to cover any loses or invest in infrastructure.

Thanks for the informed, insightful and well evidenced detail. I feel we all have a much better understanding of the behind the scenes decisions, compromises and challenges the Board and manager face - which seem to be almost non-existent given how clearly easy it is for a team like Cheltenham to sign any £100k striker they want.
Alf
Problem is, decent strikers are a luxury commodity in football, you can’t just trot off to the shops and buy one with your pocket money. It’s also no good going out and buying a Jamie Vardy if you don’t have the midfield set up to feed him the right passes through the opposition back four. This is why I think if Rowe is definitely the player for us it’s worth paying a bit extra and getting the player instead of fannying around debating over a few quid. On the other hand, if management see buying him as a gamble then move on and forget it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:Problem is, decent strikers are a luxury commodity in football, you can’t just trot off to the shops and buy one with your pocket money. It’s also no good going out and buying a Jamie Vardy if you don’t have the midfield set up to feed him the right passes through the opposition back four. This is why I think if Rowe is definitely the player for us it’s worth paying a bit extra and getting the player instead of fannying around debating over a few quid. On the other hand, if management see buying him as a gamble then move on and forget it.
Finally some understanding of football!
Ihearye
Did Andy W not say that one of the mistakes made was that we pursued Rowe without considering other options? If this is the case then any discussion about how difficult it is to sign strikers, is meaningless
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:Did Andy W not say that one of the mistakes made was that we pursued Rowe without considering other options? If this is the case then any discussion about how difficult it is to sign strikers, is meaningless
I believe he, and Gary, both said that we didn’t pay enough attention to other options (rather than none) so yes an error - “eggs in that basket and it didn’t work out” the phrase from Gary post-match. So yes both manager and chairman regret that, but could also suggest there were no clear and obvious options to catch the eye of course.
Ihearye
That logic doesn't really stand up. No clear or obvious alternatives, suggests that they considered other options. The statements wod lead one to suspect that this was not the case?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:That logic doesn't really stand up. No clear or obvious alternatives, suggests that they considered other options. The statements wod lead one to suspect that this was not the case?
I read it as not doing enough to look into other options, ie looking beyond anything clear and obvious,, whereas clear and obvious options would be apparent without more than a cursory glance.
Lord Elpuz
Remind me again, someone, how much did we get for Steve Gillespie?

Which team signed him from us?

Where is that team now?

Spending big money on proven strikers is a desire for a short to mid-term gain, with no guarantee that it will catapault a small club into a sustainable big time.
Alf
No one said it would. Our first priority is to stay in this division and to do this we need to score goals.
It is not just a case of signing a striker it is a case of signing a striker that you can feel confident in building your team around.
CTFC03
If the club have said £250,000 is what we want, then pay it, we have no points and a manager that should be gone and a poor forward line, we are desperate so just pay it FFS
solihullkev
We are 75k apart with Fylde. JP reported player keen to join.

We would pay GJ more than that in compensation if he gets sacked this week I would suggest.

But Rowe, get him on loan til Jan, and get on with it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Does sound like Andy W’s message to Gary was to go and get Rowe or someone else.
Robin
Yes I think we should just go back and pay the extra £75k, it's a huge amount and more than his worth but we don't have many other options.
Nesty
We should have been looking to sign more than one in any case. Negotiations with Fylde should have been short and sweet with the deadline looming,.
drgm
Forget the Pell money. Forget the Mo money. The fact is we haven't signed a recognisable centre forward
and don't mention Macalinden. Even Gary didn't want to play him yesterday so what does that tell you?
More importantly what message does that send to Macalinden? Has he already been discarded?

I'm not a big fan of Graham but Gary let him go late in the transfer window without replacing him. He then
chased Rowe without having any other options lined up. It's a mess and there's only one person to blame.
Robin
The MacAlindon signing is just baffling, I've been a big supporter of GJ but that signing when he clearly wasn't needed on a two year deal then not signing a striker on deadline day before not playing a forward yesterday has now extinguished my confidence in him.
Ralph
Rowe got another 2 yesterday. Problem is the price may go up again as they know we need him
paperboy
Ralph wrote:Rowe got another 2 yesterday. Problem is the price may go up again as they know we need him
Quite correct Ralph.
..and although the player was said to be keen to join us previously,he may think twice as they are top of their division and we are bottom of ours and could swop leagues with them anyway.
Robin
It's 3 games in Paperboy the league doesn't take shape until at least ten realistically.
Del Boy
Robin wrote:It's 3 games in Paperboy the league doesn't take shape until at least ten realistically.
Yep, no panic. We're only five points off the play-offs.
little mo
Rowe in National League team of the day,(again). Marked as 9 out of 10. First goal, long goal kick controlled in one on edge of box, turn, first time shot into bottom right corner. As I said on a previous post,i have seen him play more than once, always thought he will score goals in the league. Will predict now that if he came to us he will score 20+ goals a season. Problem is Fylde really do not need the money.
vickeryc
That may be so, but many of us thought Dan Holman would take the EFL by storm too. I know he had an unfortunate injury, but the point is you can never guarantee success of any striker who has never played league football. They can be an outstanding success or a sensational flop.
everyman
Forget about Rowe a better option long term would be Kenny Miller,now a free agent having left Livingstone.He is the ideal Player/manager/striker that our club needs.
bigdavejambo
everyman wrote:Forget about Rowe a better option long term would be Kenny Miller,now a free agent having left Livingstone.He is the ideal Player/manager/striker that our club needs.
no he isnt if several comments ive seen on forums about him and his attitude are to be believed.
paperboy
...watched Fylde on BT yesterday and to say Rowe was innocuous is an understatement.
Only one game of course but really didn't show anything.

Bullet dodged methinks.
Shade
Knocked one from 8 yards straight to the keeper but, as you say, only one game. He scores enough to suggest he usually does better. Harrogate appear to be a good team though.
horlickfanclub
More impressed by the Harrogate forward .He seemed to have been to the Danny Wright /Neil Grayson school for aggresive strikers.
everyman
Robin wrote:Do we believe this deal is definitely off? Jon Palmer reported yesterday Flyde want £250,000 and we offered £175,000 with add ons. We are desperate for the lad and clearly have the money, could we go back in with another late off of say £225k?
I`m surprised to hear those sums being bandied about when we couldn`t afford a very good wide player from fgr.Elliot Frear for £10,000 recently.Was the promise of the Eisa money the only thing the club was reliant upon since he emerged ?
Robin
I understood we could afford the fee, just the FGR chairman blocked the move.