Gary Johnson ahead of Macclesfield Town away

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

vickeryc
Del Boy wrote: You need to listen to it. He's very clever in interviews - I'll give him that. He did blame the fans that are not happy with his performance. Also he said it wasn't his fault we had such a dreadful end to last season and it wasn't his fault he didn't sign the right forwards. Nothing is ever his fault yet since he's been there his points return per game is less than one. Less than a draw a game yet still people are abused on here for voicing an opinion against the manager. It takes some working out but the main abuser rarely even goes to games so has a different view, to be fair.
I have now managed to read the transcript and I think most of it is fair to be honest. I said in my last post that one or two things would probably have been best left unsaid, and that there are reasons why we all let inner emotions slip out occasionally. He made the point that this is not the same team as last season, so adding the poor end-of-season results to the the results this term is effectively exaggerating the 'failure' of current players.
P.S. Who is this alleged 'main abuser'?
shevates
I am not a GJ lover one bit, his tactics, and signings are poor, but its no good picking on players because they dont perform. They are giving there all Im sure, but some of them are simply just not good enough for this level of football. As for any supporter wanting us to lose so GJ is sacked should take a long hard look at themselves and ask if they are true supporters. I will be at Macc hoping we can start a turn around in results and go on an undeafted run. If we dont the board have to act sooner rather than later, because things will worsen and before we know it we will be adrift playing catch up. In my view he should of gone Saturday, but I still hope the Board have made the right decision
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
vickeryc wrote:Ben - I was careful to use the words "during the game" in my post when referring to the potentially damaging effect of negative chanting on players' performances.
Post game as well can build up to the next game.

Will players hearing boos and negativity at the end of a game go into the next match with confidence? Look at West Ham, their players are terrified knowing that if they concede or make an error the fans will jeer.

We want our players to look forward to playing home games. As the atmosphere degrades and becomes more toxic, they won’t. Which will cause confidence and performance to decline.
horlickfanclub
They have two away games now so can't blame the home atmosphere for a while.
Robin
shevates wrote:I am not a GJ lover one bit, his tactics, and signings are poor, but its no good picking on players because they dont perform. They are giving there all Im sure, but some of them are simply just not good enough for this level of football. As for any supporter wanting us to lose so GJ is sacked should take a long hard look at themselves and ask if they are true supporters. I will be at Macc hoping we can start a turn around in results and go on an undeafted run. If we dont the board have to act sooner rather than later, because things will worsen and before we know it we will be adrift playing catch up. In my view he should of gone Saturday, but I still hope the Board have made the right decision
Which players do you feel are not good enough for this level Shevates? For me only Baldwin and maybe Debayo but he is young and only cover anyway.
Del Boy
I've been reading how the players are good enough, how we only need a couple of players to have a promotion team, how we've got the nucleus of a great team etc for two seasons. Yet with Johnson in charge we've lost almost half our games.

Why is this??
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:I've been reading how the players are good enough, how we only need a couple of players to have a promotion team, how we've got the nucleus of a great team etc for two seasons. Yet with Johnson in charge we've lost almost half our games.

Why is this??
Fact-check: this group of players and team nucleus have lost all their league games, not half.
Del Boy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Del Boy wrote:I've been reading how the players are good enough, how we only need a couple of players to have a promotion team, how we've got the nucleus of a great team etc for two seasons. Yet with Johnson in charge we've lost almost half our games.

Why is this??
Fact-check: this group of players and team nucleus have lost all their league games, not half.
"With Johnson in charge we've lost almost half our games" - how hard is that to understand. I didn't mention this group of players.

My point is people like you (who don't go to many games) have been saying for two years how we're close to having a team capable of reaching the play-offs. Yet we've been awful.
Shade
Benctfc wrote:This blaming the fans is rubbish. There were no chants DURING the game of Johnson out after the match very clearly yes. Even then most fans stayed behind and clapped the players off and gave them their support. The fans have backed the players and continue to.

There is nothing wrong with voicing your opinion after the match. Most fans are paying hundreds of pounds a year they are entitled to that. Would you not complain if you paid £300 for a product and it didn't work. For someone who has been in football so long I find it amazing how much GJ reacts to the fans reaction. It's all used to distract people away from his poor record.
I thought there were definitely chants during the game. Plus the targeting of Debayo.
There absolutely were "chants of we want Johnson out" during the game. There were ironic cheers when Debayo went off, which is ridiculous for a player that has made 4 competitive appearances for us and hasn't been anywhere as bad as some left backs we've had in recent years, despite being the obvious weak link in the back line.
tunnelvision
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:We want our players to look forward to playing home games. As the atmosphere degrades and becomes more toxic, they won’t. Which will cause confidence and performance to decline.
Which is why we need to take action quickly to turn things around.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
tunnelvision wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:We want our players to look forward to playing home games. As the atmosphere degrades and becomes more toxic, they won’t. Which will cause confidence and performance to decline.
Are you implying certain sections of the fanbase will keep on creating negativity and a poor environment until the Board sack the manager?

If fans try and hold the Board to ransom like that, I will be firmly on the side of the Board regardless my view on Gary.

The best action to take is to support the team and make a positive difference to performance and confidence before during and after games when in the ground.
tunnelvision
tunnelvision wrote:
Are you implying certain sections of the fanbase will keep on creating negativity and a poor environment until the Board sack the manager?

I think that's more than likely.

The best action to take is to support the team and make a positive difference to performance and confidence before during and after games when in the ground.

Agreed, but you're not going to convince everyone to do that.
I couldn't fault the effort that the players put in and made a point to applaud them off, at the end of the game. However, it doesn't mean that I'm not highly dissatisfied with GJ's recruitment and tactics - stretching back to last pre-season. This season, he's gambled on too many inexperienced players, or ones that have previously failed to make any impact at their previous clubs. Tactically he seems to have lost the plot and playing Tozer as a striker was the last straw for me.
shevates
Tunnelvision, your assessment to me is spot on
Robin

Why is this??
Last season I believe we would have challenged strongly for the play offs had the manager sorted the defence out it was a major let down that he didn't. This season appears to be the polar opposite and until both ends of the team are balanced with similar quality I maintain promotion is unlikely and more mid-table mediocrity like last season beckons,.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
tunnelvision wrote:
I couldn't fault the effort that the players put in and made a point to applaud them off, at the end of the game. However, it doesn't mean that I'm not highly dissatisfied with GJ's recruitment and tactics - stretching back to last pre-season. This season, he's gambled on too many inexperienced players, or ones that have previously failed to make any impact at their previous clubs. Tactically he seems to have lost the plot and playing Tozer as a striker was the last straw for me.
I am not satisfied either and Tozer was a disaster. But, I recognise the need for a big man up front and that we didn’t have another big man. I am also disappointed with some signings but I don’t know whether Gary deliberately made poor signings, is just a poor judge of talent, or if he made the best signings anyone could hope to get for CTFC. That is something the Board will have to assess and they have more evidence than I do.

To be honest, nor am I able to judge the team after three games. The non-league inexperienced players need time to get up to speed of the match, one of our most experienced signings is yet to play and one got injured early doors. So a few more games needed.

I don’t support Gary per se and have my concerns. I just don’t support behaviour at the ground which will be more likely to realise those concerns than alleviate them.