Zero of the week

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

little mo
In the Daily Mail football pull out today, in the "League 2 this weekend" section they have as ZERO OF THE WEEK and I quote...…"Gary Johnson: Cheltenham have been found out. The overly physical approach that served them well last term seems not to be working this time round. Johnson selling last year's top scorer Mo Eisa to son Lee at Bristol City also has not helped. They are 22nd after no goals or points from their opening three games with a 1-0 defeat at home to Carlisle the latest disappointment."

Were we overly physical and if we were did it serve us so well last year given where we finished?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Yes...overly physical with our tiny strikers and wingers.

Lazy and incorrect reporting from the Daily Mail as always. The fact the Mail state this gives me optimism we are going to do quite well!!
little mo
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Yes...overly physical with our tiny strikers and wingers.

Lazy and incorrect reporting from the Daily Mail as always. The fact the Mail state this gives me optimism we are going to do quite well!!
What tiny strikers and wingers? You have lost me I am afraid.
vickeryc
Anything reported in the Daily Mail, unfortunately, is not worth reading for reasons that are obvious to anyone vaguely intelligent and of a fair-minded disposition. I hope I haven't unintentionally offended anyone!
joes dad
vickeryc wrote:Anything reported in the Daily Mail, unfortunately, is not worth reading for reasons that are obvious to anyone vaguely intelligent and of a fair-minded disposition. I hope I haven't unintentionally offended anyone!
Ha Ha And all those who voted Brexit are thick northerners with tattoos and tracky bottoms.
So those who read the Mail have low intelligence, most ridiculous statement on here for a while {and there have been many]
Thankfully you're the minority.
vickeryc
I obviously hit a raw nerve. Apologies for any offence!
joes dad
Thank you, Accepted
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
vickeryc wrote:I obviously hit a raw nerve. Apologies for any offence!
Don’t apologise; the insult of the Mail and its readership justified as far as I am concerned.
joes dad
That's why Vickeryc is a gentleman, and your an easily offended liberal
Ihearye
Wow that is some new landmark in generalisation!! Only RCS can easily identify that all people reading and particular news paper holds identical views to the paper and of limited intelligence. Yet at the same time take the stance that while he personally may read some newspapers, it does not mean he holds the same views!!!! Amazing
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:Wow that is some new landmark in generalisation!! Only RCS can easily identify that all people reading and particular news paper holds identical views to the paper and of limited intelligence. Yet at the same time take the stance that while he personally may read some newspapers, it does not mean he holds the same views!!!! Amazing
I am not talking about views or opinions or political stance. Just the tendency for the Mail to poorly, and sometimes deliberately incorrectly, report accurate data and information. No worse than some other tabloids, but much more frequent than broadsheets, and especially the FT and Economist.

You only have to go on Facebook or forums to see how many people blindly repeat and believe incorrect data and information published by the Mail.

So yes, I will generalise about anyone who absorbs and believes false information without having the perspicacity or knowledge to be aware of inaccuracies or to look up the source or evidence elsewhere.

I don’t always agree with the Telegraph or Guardian, and whilst both are becoming more sketchy in their use of fact to support their agendas, both of which I do not agree with, at least the data and evidence, even if selective, are generally reported properly and accurately.
little mo
vickeryc wrote:Anything reported in the Daily Mail, unfortunately, is not worth reading for reasons that are obvious to anyone vaguely intelligent and of a fair-minded disposition. I hope I haven't unintentionally offended anyone!
I buy the Daily Mail every day, then I read the sports pages(and very good they are too) and do the crossword. I would also like to think that I am almost vaguely intelligent, and certainly fair-minded. I don't believe you "unintentionally" offended anyone at all, you knew very well what you meant,and yes I am offended. Anyway must go,just getting in my car to drive to Macclesfield, are you?
Ihearye
Sorry. If you go anywhere near facebook (other social media outlets areavailable), and expect anything but the views of the last bastions of the insane and those aggrieved on behalf of someone else. Then you have lost all reason. I don't read the Mail, but I am presuming it has no more or less agendas or mistakes than all other printed press. The degree by which they are inaccurate depends largely on how close to your own views they are
vickeryc
little mo wrote:
I buy the Daily Mail every day, then I read the sports pages(and very good they are too) and do the crossword. I would also like to think that I am almost vaguely intelligent, and certainly fair-minded. I don't believe you "unintentionally" offended anyone at all, you knew very well what you meant,and yes I am offended. Anyway must go,just getting in my car to drive to Macclesfield, are you?
Oh, you've rumbled me for the arrogant bigot you obviously think I am! Perhaps I shouldn't have equated intelligence and fair-mindedness in the way that I did; however, I was basing my opinions of the Mail on the banner headlines that frequently and blatantly scream racism and intolerance, which I personally find offensive.
Not sure what this has to do with attending the Macclesfield game tonight though!
joes dad
little mo wrote:
Yep, same as me mo, and nearly 24 million others & nearly 10 million online.
And in all the years have never seen a Racist headline.
Shade
I believe it's down to headlines such as these. You know some people can't tolerate the use of the words foreigner or migrant in anything other than a positive setting, and it's just an easy cop-out to say it's racist. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=daily ... RVtK0E6byM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
Malabus
joes dad wrote:That's why Vickeryc is a gentleman, and your an easily offended liberal
I’m not a northerner and I voted to leave. The quicker it’s done the better.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:Sorry. If you go anywhere near facebook (other social media outlets areavailable), and expect anything but the views of the last bastions of the insane and those aggrieved on behalf of someone else. Then you have lost all reason. I don't read the Mail, but I am presuming it has no more or less agendas or mistakes than all other printed press. The degree by which they are inaccurate depends largely on how close to your own views they are
Your assumption is incorrect. And the inaccuracies are not based on views. If official data says X and the Mail claims it says Y then regardless of whether you believe it or not it is objectively wrong. And when more people think Y is the case than X then it is bad for society.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:I believe it's down to headlines such as these. You know some people can't tolerate the use of the words foreigner or migrant in anything other than a positive setting, and it's just an easy cop-out to say it's racist. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=daily ... RVtK0E6byM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
No problem with such headlines as long as the information and data is correct.
vickeryc
If such headlines don't fuel racism then I don't know what does. Before I'm accused, I'm not suggesting everyone who buys the Mail is a racist - they may have other reasons for reading it. I simply find such headlines needlessly inciteful and provocative to some - just my opinion.