iFollow video coverage of midweek games

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

hookyrobin
Before the season started there was an announcement on iFollow that due to the new broadcasting arrangements, midweek EFL matches not being shown on Sky could be streamed for domestic viewers:

"This development has been made possible due to the new broadcast agreement with Sky which was agreed last year, whereby EFL Clubs have been granted the rights to stream games to a domestic audience, in addition to their followers overseas which has been available since the start of 2017/18.

EFL Clubs will be able to live-stream in the UK and Ireland any league match via their respective iFollow (or equivalent) service that takes place outside the blocked hours of 14.45-17.15 on Saturday afternoons and that is not broadcast live on Sky Sports. Fixtures taking place on Bank Holidays or Easter will be unavailable for streaming. Sky Sports will have the right to stream the same Championship fixtures to subscribers across their interactive and digital services."

I know 'clubs have been granted the rights' certainly doesn't mean that CTFC will be at the forefront of doing this, but does anyone know if our midweek games will be available to watch in the UK, ideally starting with the Macclesfield game tonight? I haven't seen anything about it, so I probably shouldn't be holding my breath...
Fuller
Well I've just read that our game is on iFollow tonight. £10.00.

Just pondering whether to set it up on the computer or listen to Radio Glos
paperboy
Fuller wrote:Well I've just read that our game is on iFollow tonight. £10.00.

Just pondering whether to set it up on the computer or listen to Radio Glos
paperboy
....yes just checked that I have an HDMI cable and think I'll give it a try.
Only one camera for Div 2 matches so I'm not expecting too much.
Wonder if any fans have decided not to travel in favour of watching from the sofa?
hookyrobin
Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look into it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
On the CTFC twitter feed they said the game tonight will be streamed, and posted a link to an EFL article from today: https://www.efl.com/news/2018/august/if ... e-streamed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hookyrobin
Yeah, I was just reading that page - not clear about the deal for those who already subscribe to the UK iFollow offering - assuming it's still £10 on top? Seems a bit of a shame if that's the case.
Robin
Interesting, I am tempted by this but will listen to the radio tonight, hoping to hear how feedback from those who take the plunge as I believe it's a great idea.
Ralph
hookyrobin wrote:Yeah, I was just reading that page - not clear about the deal for those who already subscribe to the UK iFollow offering - assuming it's still £10 on top? Seems a bit of a shame if that's the case.
If you pay for a season of Ifollow (as i do) then the cost of tonights game is inc in the season pass. It's only chargeable if you don't subscribe
It's actually pretty good this season. Got the score and time clock and maybe (like Sat) even the Radio Glos commentary in the background.
Yes one camera but it's on the half way line

Only thing i'd say though is 10 pound is a little steep. Paying game by game here is $7 which is about 5.50 pounds
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I might try it for £10. I paid similar for a month subscription to ESPN for Hereford and Everton games.

Much much cheaper than going to the game - which I couldn’t make any way as impossible to get their after work.
Ralph
ifollow working well today. Looks like we have commentaries all the time now as well..
Shade
Yes, I'm watching too and the only downside is Halliwell and Furley commentating on it. But mute works well.
Shade
Oh dear. That free kick was going in the moment it was awarded.
Nham68
Do we look even likely that we might score ?
Shade
Not really. We look so slow around the area. No confidence up there at all. Just ends up with a hopeful cross into the middle everytime, but not very good ones straight to a Macc player.
Shade
See just then, Broom laid off to Addai and went through for the return but Addai just had a touch and lost it. Same stpry for every player, not just Addai.
Fuller
£10 to watch this rubbish....

All the Directors there. If this keeps up 10 pm could be interesting.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:See just then, Broom laid off to Addai and went through for the return but Addai just had a touch and lost it. Same stpry for every player, not just Addai.
Speed of thought not up to league standard yet. In non-league you could take a touch with mo pressure before looking up and playing it. Not in the League.

Kalala has the speed of thought but fitness not there yet.
MSB
iFollow very good this evening with commentary too. Haven't had that before.
£10 very steep when you can use a VPN and change your location to the US and get it for £5.50.
leohoenig
I have not tried it this season, despite being in France for all the games so far.
Last season, when I tried, I find the video lagged behind the actual action badly and quality was poor.
This may be mainly due to the Chinese internet connections. I tried in and out of VPN, it worked better outside VPN and when you do not use VPN in China, you cannot see the twitter feed - so you do not get goal flashes ages before seeing the goal.

I watched at least one game from a bar in India, the day before leaving the country. That worked well, but it was about five minutes late in finishing. The beer was good, if expensive. I have not signed up this season yet - on Saturday, I will probably be on the Dover/Calais ferry during the game
Fuller
I generally thought the coverage was very good.

But the linked commentary from Radio Glos was slightly in front of the action.

So we knew Scotty had saved the penalty just before he actually palmed it away :D

Yatesy looked well pi**ed off when our goal went in !
Shade
Internet streaming is always going to be at least a minute behind the actual event just down to the very nature of the processes involved. A radio signal is just out there the moment it is broadcast, though, obviously.

I found it to be very good last night. Good picture, no break-up, no buffering. I don't know if it was different on mine but the commentary was timed so that something was commented on as it happened rather than it being a reaction moments after it happened.