Macclesfield Town v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

drgm
I just want a manager to be upbeat about our prospects. To have a bit of spark and drive. Some conviction even.

The club has a lot going for it. Well run off the pitch, solvent and a pot of money to put it right. In other
words an attractive propostiion for an incoming manager. Gary sounds like it's all passed him by, just hoping
something will turn up.

The club is drifting and tonights result makes not a scrap of difference I'm afraid. I just want to be enthused
about going - not just doing it out of a sense of duty. Someone needs to show a bit of ambition otherwise we
will just keep muddling along. A new manager galvanising the club with fresh ideas would lift the place - christ it
really couldn't be any worse.

Little old cheltenham - can we really do no better than Gary?
Jerry St Clair
Benctfc wrote:No wonder we just drift along and attendances continue to decrease. Tonight we scraped an underserved point against arguably the worse team in the league it just isn't good enough.
Nothing changes for me. Pulling the trigger now is pointless as any new manager would have to work with Johnson’s squad anyway.

But, the board should be planning succession. Identifying candidates, sounding them out, thinking about the timing, what the coaching structure will look like, how much money might be available to strengthen the squad.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote:
Benctfc wrote:No wonder we just drift along and attendances continue to decrease. Tonight we scraped an underserved point against arguably the worse team in the league it just isn't good enough.
Nothing changes for me. Pulling the trigger now is pointless as any new manager would have to work with Johnson’s squad anyway.

But, the board should be planning succession. Identifying candidates, sounding them out, thinking about the timing, what the coaching structure will look like, how much money might be available to strengthen the squad.
Looks like the kids singing at Moss Rose persuaded the Board to pull the trigger - initially appearing like no planning or thinking has been made at all. Milton it is.
Ihearye
More bollix from RCS.
Robin
Jerry St Clair wrote:

If this hasn't been happening it's absolutely criminal. We need to make an appointment before the weekend so they can sign some players.
Red dog
I still say the front men have little chance when we are constantly punting in high balls to a forward who's forte isn't in the air! Dozens of the same ball when he obvs isn't any good at it LMc I mean , the rest of his play is good as his his work rate, we should be playing to a players strengths which is clearly his feet, not many headers were won by anyone this evening, out forwards tonight again had appalling service but still expected to get goals, attracts start from the back but we can't make a decent pass or cross. To many players in makeshift positions again not playing to there strengths ,
Artemis
Ihearye wrote:More bollix from RCS.
Nope. More like spot on. The timing of GJs departure is appalling and feels like giving in to a vocal minority.
Del Boy
Artemis wrote:
Nope. More like spot on. The timing of GJs departure is appalling and feels like giving in to a vocal minority.
For me it's giving in to what's blindingly obvious. With a record like Johnson over the last two years he should have gone earlier. We couldn't gamble on things getting any worse.
Sprout Picker
Artemis wrote:
Agree. Two potential strikers coming in, Hussey just back and Long yet to play - after Saturday I assumed the board would give GJ at least two or three more games.

It's a new group and things take time to click. SC's team didn't win for six games at the start of the season in 2001/2 yet got promoted. Wonder what the morons would have made of that?

Yes, the striker situation is poor (not helped by injury to Duku) and letting Graham go seemed a bit of a strange decision in a way yet GJ has just brought in a huge amount of money through Eisa and the team did seem to be starting to find their feet a bit if not the net as much as we'd like.

Hope this doesn't come back and bite us.
Si Robin
SC's team were coming off two very near playoff seasons (missing out on the last day and penultimate game of the season). GJ is coming off one penultimate day safety and a one point higher finish.

You can refer to people as morons, but GJ and SC are not one and the same. You may be right and there may have been some green shoots tonight, but (and I wasn't there, so I appreciate I can't comment fully) it sounded like we should have had a hammering tonight but for Scott Flinders. This was very much the case against Crawley and Tranmere. The only difference tonight is that we finally put one in.

People wanting change are not basing it on 4 games this season, they're basing it on 96 games since promotion. The vast majority of which have been, put simply, soul destroying. If I'm a moron for being unhappy with the past two seasons then so be it. Frankly, in my view, anyone who's happy with 22nd and 17th placed finishes is a moron - but that's by the by.
Sprout Picker
Si Robin wrote:SC's team were coming off two very near playoff seasons (missing out on the last day and penultimate game of the season). GJ is coming off one penultimate day safety and a one point higher finish.

You can refer to people as morons, but GJ and SC are not one and the same. You may be right and there may have been some green shoots tonight, but (and I wasn't there, so I appreciate I can't comment fully) it sounded like we should have had a hammering tonight but for Scott Flinders. This was very much the case against Crawley and Tranmere. The only difference tonight is that we finally put one in.

People wanting change are not basing it on 4 games this season, they're basing it on 96 games since promotion. The vast majority of which have been, put simply, soul destroying. If I'm a moron for being unhappy with the past two seasons then so be it. Frankly, in my view, anyone who's happy with 22nd and 17th placed finishes is a moron - but that's by the by.
The morons I was referring to Si are the idiots dishing out personal abuse towards GJ from behind the goal. The fickle idiots who wanted him out and then when we stuffed Port Vale a week later were singing his name.

I'm well aware of the difference in circumstances between the two seasons I mentioned. The point I was making was that it takes time for a team to gel and that with a new side and potentially strikers arriving that we might have been better to have waited a couple more games to see if improvement came.

On the flip side I can see how if the board issued an ultimatum as others have suggested, that they might have considered that without Flinders save that this would have been another defeat to a mediocre side and decided to pull the trigger.

It may be feasible that they've been using the days since Saturday to sound out potential replacements.

Personally I'm slightly indifferent - we've shown glimmers at times but have also been terrible at others over the last two seasons. As you said elsewhere I too will always be grateful for the National League campaign - saw a lot of games that season and have a lot of good memories. Shame it ended like this.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:SC's team were coming off two very near playoff seasons (missing out on the last day and penultimate game of the season). GJ is coming off one penultimate day safety and a one point higher finish.

Wasn’t aware this group of players have played 96 games and came 17th last season.

Having enjoyed the attack vim on Saturday and begun looking forward to see the likes of Kalala and Maddox growing into League players, I am now concerned the players - especially the experienced ones like Mullins who said he signed for the chance to work with Johnson - become disillusioned due to the sacking after just four games.