Thanks Gary

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

solihullkev
As bad as last 6 months have been hope there are not too many short memories :

- 2015/2015 season was as good a season following the club as I have had ; and he did it from scratch. 11 players made their debuts 3 years ago this month at Lincoln

- finding / developing Mo ; (whilst I would rather we had spent some of it by now) that money from Bristol is a massive thing for the club

Thanks Gary ; you did a lot of great things and without you we would still be in the wilderness now.
Robin
Yep goes down as our 3rd best manager behind SC and Ward. A shame it's not worked out since our return to the league.
Ihearye
Robin wrote:Yep goes down as our 3rd best manager behind SC and Ward. A shame it's not worked out since our return to the league.
In the league or including conference?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
Robin wrote:Yep goes down as our 3rd best manager behind SC and Ward. A shame it's not worked out since our return to the league.
In the league or including conference?
I think Robin was talking over all. If being picky about performance in different Leagues then Ward ahead of SC due to our record finish in L1.
Artemis
Yup, thanks Gary. You saved our club.
heedrobin
A sad moment when I just saw this on Sky Sports News... I was there and shook Gary's hand at Moss Rose back in the last away game of the 15/16 champions season... thanks for everything Gary!
shevates
I for one am glad hes gone his results and tactics in the league were woeful, BUT I will always remember him by our vanarama season and the promotion we had under his leadership it was a joy watching his team playing around the country. Thanks and all the best in what you do next GJ
Horteng
shevates wrote:I for one am glad hes gone his results and tactics in the league were woeful, BUT I will always remember him by our vanarama season and the promotion we had under his leadership it was a joy watching his team playing around the country. Thanks and all the best in what you do next GJ
Echo this. All the best Gary. Hope your health continues to be with you and you enjoy what ever you chose to do.

Thank you
cliffy90
Thank you for the memories, Gary, especially the National League winning season. That will live long in every CTFC fan's memory. Hope you can enjoy retirement and reflect on a long, successful career.
vickeryc
A very sad day. Gary really cared about this club and, as others have rightly said, we would probably be part-time now if it wasn't for him. All the best for the future, Gary - you'll always be remembered for that unforgettable promotion.
Round Robin
Just wanted to echo the above comments .

The conference season was unforgettable but unfortunately things have gone a bit pear shaped since then . Remember we have no divine right to be successful ( just ask Torquay and York fans) .

A lot of the young lads asking for his head probably weren't there for the promotion season but now they have got there wish we have to move on . The team needs support so all those that have stayed away and been critical of GJ need to turn up and be counted .

Overall I think the board made the right decision but Gary deserves our respect and thanks for what he did for us and his overall football record .
Johnsons Red Army
Thanks and best wishes to Gary.
theidlerich
A thank you to Gary who's great achievement at Cheltenham was to bring us back into League football. I wish him well and trust he 'retires' gracefully from the game and enjoys decent health in the future. I also hope that the 'avenue' to Bristol City is not closed off in a family fit of pique; and that our recruitment team are galvanised into action.
Fuller
And a big thanks to Pete Johnson too.

And Lee also.

Suppose that could be the end of any more loans from our friends down the M5 ?
Nesty
1. Cotteril
2.Arch Anderson
3. Ward
4. Johnson
5.Dennis Allen
Shade
I would say something like the above but what's the point, I don't think he'll be bothering to look on the RNF to see what abuse he's received lately.
Lonely goat-herd
Shockingly poor decision from the board to treat Gary Johnson with such disrespect after everything he's done for the club. As if we can afford to be so choosy in our managers! Having said that, he'll probably be glad to get away from all the moaners and a board with no spine. Good luck, Gary.
Rick
Lonely goat-herd wrote:Shockingly poor decision from the board to treat Gary Johnson with such disrespect after everything he's done for the club. As if we can afford to be so choosy in our managers! Having said that, he'll probably be glad to get away from all the moaners and a board with no spine. Good luck, Gary.
Yes. Good Luck Gary. All the best for the future. And also a great big thank you to Brother Pete for bring in some great players to the club.
The Old TomCat
I think the following post on the FGR forum sums it up from all at TNL.
I also add my personal best wishes and future good health to you Gary:

"A healthy passionate rivalry will always exist between our two clubs, hopefully; it is good for football in Gloucestershire, for media coverage and exposure, for intense local derbies, and for gate receipts.

I am amongst those first in the queue to thank Gary sincerely for all he has done in football, both locally and elsewhere. I wish you all the best, Mr Johnson, be that in 100% retirement or in part-retirement with some relaxed enjoyment in some less stressful football-related employ."
Lord Elpuz
The Old TomCat wrote:I think the following post on the FGR forum sums it up from all at TNL.
I also add my personal best wishes and future good health to you Gary:

"A healthy passionate rivalry will always exist between our two clubs, hopefully; it is good for football in Gloucestershire, for media coverage and exposure, for intense local derbies, and for gate receipts.

I am amongst those first in the queue to thank Gary sincerely for all he has done in football, both locally and elsewhere. I wish you all the best, Mr Johnson, be that in 100% retirement or in part-retirement with some relaxed enjoyment in some less stressful football-related employ."
A welcome sentiment and I feel sure you are personally sincere. But should you really represent or sum up “from all at TNL”? The last time CTFC played there, Gary Johnson was subjected to some hideous abuse from a section of FGR fans about mortality.
Shade
I was just about to say at least we won't have to listen to chants of "we'll have a party when Gary Johnson dies" this season.