Questions for the board

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

solihullkev
What was said to Gary on Saturday ?

What changed between Saturday and tonight ? Was it really as short term as "if we don't beat Macc you are toast". If he wasn't good enough tonight then he wasn't good enough on Saturday and we have wasted 4 days before loan window shuts to get someone new in

What stopped us going to 250 for Rowe ? The board or Gary ? We will just have spunked 75k+ paying up Gary's contract. Better spent giving to Fylde

I don't see the board coming out of this smelling of roses. Amateurish
Artemis
I'm with you on this kev. Just confused thinking at the top.
I can see no justification for making the change tonight when it wasn't done on Saturday. That's simply because there is now less time to get the forwards we desperately need.
I just hope that there is a replacement lined up that isn't Russ lined and that he also has quality loan strikers ready to come in.
Last edited by Artemis on 21 Aug 2018, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Indeed. The Board statement was things had to improve and big strikers were needed.

Well results improved with a summer recruit coming on after missing two games with injury and scoring, and it appeared that signings were on the way which must now be in question. Apart from that positive change what difference is there from Saturday evening?

So either the Board did issue a win or sack ultimatum on Saturday which was not published in their otherwise decent statement on Saturday, or they decided the dissent on the terraces had to be addressed and responded to that.
itsallbollox
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Indeed. The Board statement was things had to improve and big strikers were needed.

Well results improved with a summer recruit coming on after missing two games with injury and scoring, and it appeared that signings were on the way which must now be in question. Apart from that positive change what difference is there from Saturday evening?

So either the Board did issue a win or sack ultimatum on Saturday which was not published in their otherwise decent statement on Saturday, or they decided the dissent on the terraces had to be addressed and responded to that.
Yea big strikers my ar#e. A 22 year old who hasn't even played in the football league, the board are as much to blame as G J , s they thought they could get by with giving away 2 year contracts to player's that to me don't seem interested, and another thing is if there is a manager that is any good why are they not employed. Personally we should have spent at least half the money we got for Mo on 2 strikers and a play maker. To the board you have let the fans down big time.
Robin
I listened on the radio and all the board were at the game tonight, it's clear a sacking was expected. I would guess the decision was made at the weekend and hope they have been talking with the potential new man for a few days now to make a swift appointment on the proviso that if not dramatic improvement GJ was always going to get sacked.
Ihearye
If we rule out the laughable conspiracy theory that a very very small minority of supporters giving verbal, decided the board who have steered the club over the years to sack GJ. Could it not be that the falling gates were playing on theirminds. That they were not blown away by the first of our big strikers? Seems particularly odd that those on here were saying the board would not listen to a small mob, because the board is a band of experienced business men. Then overnight they caved in to the views of a bunch of kids??? All we know of Saturdays meeting is what we heard from GJ. If the players are good enough remains to be seen. The board has made the decision that GJ is not the person to get the best out of them. What happened to all the ' get behind the club' voices'no matter what'. Tthose voices seem very quick to start the blame game. I would say the board backed GJ with 2 year contracts, because everyone is tired of rebuilding every year. Not because they looked at every player and thought they are worthtwo years. Even Mo did not get that immediately. Just want the new man to make me look forward to going to WR on any Saturday. Haven't done that in a few yearss
Nesty
It should have been done end of last season
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:If we rule out the laughable conspiracy theory that a very very small minority of supporters giving verbal, decided the board who have steered the club over the years to sack GJ. Could it not be that the falling gates were playing on theirminds. That they were not blown away by the first of our big strikers? Seems particularly odd that those on here were saying the board would not listen to a small mob, because the board is a band of experienced business men. Then overnight they caved in to the views of a bunch of kids??? All we know of Saturdays meeting is what we heard from GJ. If the players are good enough remains to be seen. The board has made the decision that GJ is not the person to get the best out of them. What happened to all the ' get behind the club' voices'no matter what'. Tthose voices seem very quick to start the blame game. I would say the board backed GJ with 2 year contracts, because everyone is tired of rebuilding every year. Not because they looked at every player and thought they are worthtwo years. Even Mo did not get that immediately. Just want the new man to make me look forward to going to WR on any Saturday. Haven't done that in a few yearss
We also saw the Board statement on Saturday.
Ladyrobin
Whether or not I agree with the sacking (and I probably do), I think the treatment was appalling. Could it not have waited until this morning. Did GJ have to return on the team bus aware that all the players, his temporay successor and the rest of the staff, knew of his sacking. Humiliating to say the least. I am hoping I am wrong and that other transport was provided. If not shameful.
And for those of you who would say that this is what football is all about, I believe our Board should know better.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ladyrobin wrote:Whether or not I agree with the sacking (and I probably do), I think the treatment was appalling. Could it not have waited until this morning. Did GJ have to return on the team bus aware that all the players, his temporay successor and the rest of the staff, knew of his sacking. Humiliating to say the least. I am hoping I am wrong and that other transport was provided. If not shameful.
And for those of you who would say that this is what football is all about, I believe our Board should know better.
You never know, he may have used it as an opportunity to talk to the best players in the squad like Mullins and Hussey about future moves. From what I have seen Notts County fans are already talking about Gary as a replacement for Nolan, so if that happens maybe the experienced players will want to move there in Jan if they are still disillusioned that the manager they wanted to play for was sacked before the squad even had a chance to show what they could do.

Hussey, over 500 league games, comes on as a sub for his debut to help the team come back from behind and his manager sacked less than an hour later. He must be wondering what type of a club (Board and fans) he has joined....
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 22 Aug 2018, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
Ladyrobin wrote:Whether or not I agree with the sacking (and I probably do), I think the treatment was appalling. Could it not have waited until this morning. Did GJ have to return on the team bus aware that all the players, his temporay successor and the rest of the staff, knew of his sacking. Humiliating to say the least. I am hoping I am wrong and that other transport was provided. If not shameful.
I fully agree when I switched off the radio I had assumed the sacking would happen in the morning. It was very poorly executed.
Fuller
Inexperienced board on the whole, but Paul Godfrey is a very decent man and has been around a long time.

Radio Glos mentioned Paul Baker was with the Directors. Read what you like in to that.
Red Duke
I was told that all the board was at the game which indicates that something was afoot.

If I had been a board member, after watching the first 45 minutes of seeing things getting worse rather than better, I would have said enough is enough and GJ had to go. Whatever was discussed on Saturday, just didn't ahppen.

We need to change and do it quickly. Football is a business when a change has to made, it is extremely ruthless.

I am sure that similar things are likely to happen at QPR and Notts County.
Shade
You could see from GJ's body language after our goal and at the end of the game as he walked across to the Macc dugout that he looked very much like a man that knew his time was up.
Robin
Yes the fact that the Board of Directors were all there clearly tells that this was coming. I'd hazard a guess this was decided on Saturday and they all attended to rubber stamp it based upon how they saw the game last night. I just hope that in parallel they have been working on his successor which seems to be the case if it is indeed Lee Carsley.
East End Robin
I think the board's actions have shown a lack of confidence in themselves.

Make a decision and stick with it - in the summer, sack him or back him.

They clearly chose to back him as they have been handing out 2 year contracts willy nilly. I would have had more respect if they'd stuck to their guns and said he is the manager for now, then reviewed the situation around October/November time. As it is, they are admitting that a decision they collectively made just two months or so ago was the wrong one.

It's poor timing really, and whoever comes in if they do see an upturn in results will probably have simply benefited from the return of Long, Hussey and Duku more than anything else. The decision reeks of panic, since judging by his interview Gary wasn't expecting the sack and no manager should be sacked on the basis of one game (the decision was made again to stick with him on Saturday, why the sudden mind change?). The last time we panic-sacked a manager we ended up with Buckle. I really hope this is not a repeat.

Having said that I'm pleased we didn't go for Rowe, Fylde are wealthy and clearly weren't going to sell for a reasonable price. As people before me have said, the downfall was not having a backup plan.
Robin
I'd imagine if we signed Rowe GJ would still be in a job right now. It's his failure to sign a proven a striker as much as anything which has got him the sack.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I back Paul Baker with regards to these questions.