The board has just killed this club

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

steveinblack
Could have waited until new year before deciding to pull the trigger but now we've got 3 managers wages to pay(including Russ's usual temporary promotion).
Then there's always the players on 2 year contacts who will be paid off,new players coming in, Mo's transfer money wasted, dwindling crowds, THE END!
Ihearye
Who gave them 2 years? We would be stuck with that no matter what. We Need a road map to success, not a new team every 9 months
Fuller
It's a new era for the club.
We will rise again.
solihullkev
As per my other post I agree the board do not come out of this well. Poor end to last season board should then either have sacked Gary or fully backed him (beyond 4 games !). If we sacked him we would have paid compensation on his contract but whoever came in could have done their own wheeling and dealing in the summer.

It's now a total mess - bunch of players many of whom unlikely to suit any new manager and a week and a bit to get a loan or two in.

No strategy from the board at all - come across as a bunch of jokers
Robin
Why do we assume the players will be paid off? We have some decent players and we can always loan out those in the future managers plans. I only hope Milton is not in charge on Saturday.
Si Robin
Milton will be in charge on Saturday even if a new man is appointed before then Robin.
Robin
Why Si, have I missed something? I am expecting the board to act quickly and if it's Carsley then we know he was watching us only last week so knows some of the players.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Why do we assume the players will be paid off? We have some decent players and we can always loan out those in the future managers plans. I only hope Milton is not in charge on Saturday.
People have written the players off after four games. Including those like Hussey, Long and Duku who have barely featured for varying reasons, it seems.

We will never know how good this new squad could have been under Gary as four games is not enough to judge - let’s just hope their potential is fulfilled under the next interim and permanent managers.
Benctfc
Got to laugh we change manager and suddenly the club is dead...

I doubt the compensation will be that much even if we do let go Russ and Downes potentially they aren't going to be on big wages. Who's to say the new manager may boost attendances and increase profits from that which were going down massively with GJ in charge. The financial impact is neglible. Admittedly as many on here said last summer the boards mistake was not parting ways last summer and giving the new man a clean slate and pre season. At least whoever comes in will be able to bring a few players in be that loan or free transfers in areas they feel necessary.
Robin
Any new manager is unlikely to boost crowds with the exception of Cotts returning.
Benctfc
Robin wrote:Any new manager is unlikely to boost crowds with the exception of Cotts returning.
I get they wont go up massively but if a new manager can get us playing some better football and imrpove results they will. You have to remember 5 out of the last 6 seasons have been really poor. Of course that is no certainty but it wasn't going to happen under GJ unfortunately and the discontent from fans was only ever going to get worse.
Artemis
Hahaha, SC returning is the funniest thing I've read on here for a while. And there's some stiff competition.

The title of the thread may well turn out to be correct, but for very different reasons. Sacked far too late or simply too early. And for the second time in a few days I'm with RCS re: players returning to the side.
Del Boy
It's pretty obvious Johnson should have gone in the summer - at the latest - but perhaps the change in chairman made that difficult.

This is a chance to get some pride back in the team. Going along to every match hoping we might nick a draw but knowing we would probably lose has been soul destroying especially as it's been so obvious what's been lacking in all Johnson's teams.

Thanks for getting us back up from the conference. A fine feat even allowing for the board gambling with a budget the club could not afford to fail.
Sadly he will go down as one of our worst - if not the worst - manager in the league. Hopefully we can now all back the new manager although it seems some toys are coming out of the pram even before he's been appointed.
Robin
Cotts returning is unlikely but not impossible for the simple reason we have cash to match his ambitions and he has no chance of getting Championship job again. I suspect he will hold out for a top league one side though.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:It's pretty obvious Johnson should have gone in the summer - at the latest - but perhaps the change in chairman made that difficult.

This is a chance to get some pride back in the team. Going along to every match hoping we might nick a draw but knowing we would probably lose has been soul destroying especially as it's been so obvious what's been lacking in all Johnson's teams.

Thanks for getting us back up from the conference. A fine feat even allowing for the board gambling with a budget the club could not afford to fail.
Sadly he will go down as one of our worst - if not the worst - manager in the league. Hopefully we can now all back the new manager although it seems some toys are coming out of the pram even before he's been appointed.
Worse than Allen or Buckle? Lol.
Del Boy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Del Boy wrote:It's pretty obvious Johnson should have gone in the summer - at the latest - but perhaps the change in chairman made that difficult.

Worse than Allen or Buckle? Lol.
I would imagine Johnson's league 2 record was comparable to Allen's. Buckle probably worse and luckily the board wasted no time sacking him.
Lord Elpuz
Del Boy wrote:
I would say that’s a gross misrepresentation of facts. People state that football is a results based business (obviously) but overlook the fact that results are not just points on the board. Results are also financial. Compare Mr Johnson’s financial results with the disaster twins of Allen and Buckle and one can instantly see where this Club is now currently secure and that is all down to the way in which Mr Johnson has managed the Club. He may well have turned the League position around given time, but we shall now never know. What we are now gambling with is the financial legacy that Mr Johnson has created, and if that is not used wisely, then the title of this thread could quite easily beckon.
Ihearye
If we had not of fluked Mo where would we be? Nonsense. Football is results. Good recruitment and management would not have left us depending on Mo's goal or his transfer money!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The danger is if the boat rocking and a slow appointment disrupts the improving squad and sends them into a negative spiral to relegation then we won’t be lucky enough to find a manager able to repeat what Johnson did and get us back up, in which case the thread title would be accurate.
Lord Elpuz
Ihearye wrote:If we had not of fluked Mo where would we be? Nonsense. Football is results. Good recruitment and management would not have left us depending on Mo's goal or his transfer money!
Wondered how long it would be before someone got confused.com. I am getting somewhat irritated at your constant criticism of posts from people like RCS and myself.

So, a taste of your own medicine ...

“If we had not of” - my dear fellow, if you are going to criticise my posts, then please try writing in proper English, old chap.

“Fluked Mo”? Prithee explain? You self-defeat in your argument: “Good recruitment and management would not have left us depending on Mo’s goal [plural missing here, methinks?] or his transfer money!” What on Earth are you saying dear boy, that Mr Johnson should not have unearthed Mo Eisa? That we should have relied on something else?

“Football is results” yes in the amateur and local leagues indeed that is so, but in professional football it is also about finances and prudent management, unless a sugar daddy underwrites everything. Everyone can see - apart from you, perhaps - that Cheltenham Town FC is in a very good financial position, and that is down to Gary Johnson’s transfer business and prudent management of his budget. Football at professional level is clearly about financial results too. So do please keep up.

I hope for everyone’s sake that our next manager is able to provide us with the football we all crave, and that it is affordable, because the two are critically linked. The next manager will benefit from Gary Johnson’s financial legacy, but will they build and improve on it? I sincerely hope so, or we know where things could end up.