Potential Managers

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Si Robin
Robin wrote:
Shade wrote:How can you want Lee Carsley but not Jerry Gill?
He's far better qualified. Firstly he's been watching our team this season, so he knows the players and he knows the board that gives him a huge advantage over the other realistic candidates. Secondly we know our chairman trusts him and he's managed in the football league albeit on a caretaker basis and done well (both Brentford and Blues considered him for Championship jobs). Thirdly he has a great reputation and contacts in the game having played and coached at all levels and now with the England team.

Both Gill and he have coached youth football but and done well so would be equal in that regard.
Did they consider him? I thought Brentford were always after Dean Smith and that's why he was an interim whilst they sorted out a deal with Walsall.

The same seems to apply for Birmingham where he managed only 2 games before Cotterill was appointed (he technically managed the 3rd, but Cotterill had already been unveiled).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The momentum with Gill on the Twittersphere.
Robin
Carsley was wanted at Brentford but ruled himself our Si Robin, not sure about Blues but I know he was highly thought of. I'd like to think I would give Jerry Gill a chance but it really makes me nervous and smacks of desperation.
darreno
As I posted on a different thread yesterday, Gary Bowyer is a non-starter, forget him. He left Blackpool for ' family reasons' after the first game of the season. Do you people not read anything?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
darreno wrote:As I posted on a different thread yesterday, Gary Bowyer is a non-starter, forget him. He left Blackpool for ' family reasons' after the first game of the season. Do you people not read anything?
I thought you clicked on the manager you wanted and then you have them, the same way you pick players.
Shade
But if you read the Telegraph, Bowyer left Blackpool because he got fed up of the off-field antics. Do you not read anything?
Artemis
I read plenty, but avoid the Telegraph in the same way I avoid the Express and Daily Braille.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:I read plenty, but avoid the Telegraph in the same way I avoid the Express and Daily Braille.
Henry Winter of the Telegraph is my fave football journalist - and their business and international affairs content I find to be best of the papers apart from the FT. Though the Independent does rival them for international news.

Apologies for another newspaper review thread!
Red Duke
Shade wrote:But if you read the Telegraph, Bowyer left Blackpool because he got fed up of the off-field antics. Do you not read anything?
Maybe "spending more time with his family" is a euphemism for the above to ensure that he gets paid what he is due.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Red Duke wrote:
Shade wrote:But if you read the Telegraph, Bowyer left Blackpool because he got fed up of the off-field antics. Do you not read anything?
Maybe "spending more time with his family" is a euphemism for the above to ensure that he gets paid what he is due.
Like leaving Cheltenham for Colchester to be closer to your family in the North West.
Si Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Artemis wrote:I read plenty, but avoid the Telegraph in the same way I avoid the Express and Daily Braille.
Henry Winter of the Telegraph is my fave football journalist - and their business and international affairs content I find to be best of the papers apart from the FT. Though the Independent does rival them for international news.

Henry Winter now writes for The Times and has done for some time (there was that Godawful advert about his "transfer").

Here is the Telegraph story on Bowyer:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... sues-wear/

There is also this from the Blackpool Gazette

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/spor ... -1-9287850
joes dad

I think you lost all newspaper credibility there.
He's been with the Times for nearly 3 years. :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
joes dad wrote:

I think you lost all newspaper credibility there.
He's been with the Times for nearly 3 years. :lol:
Shows how little I read the Times! I must have been reading or listening (he is on 5Live a lot) to HW without registering or noticing the change!

:oops: :oops:

(Note to Nesty: I was replying to a direct post - it would not have made sense to post my reply in your thread in other footy, that isn’t how conversation works).
Artemis
JP and John Finnigan have just followed Kevin Nicholson on Twitter (formerly coach at Cardiff City and manger at Bangor City, not to be confused with Kevin Nicholson at Torquay). Just a co-incidence?

Some background on him

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foo ... s-14787437" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
Maybe one just saw the other follow him and decided to as well? Also he seems very interested in Brentford due to Ollie Watkins and we play them on Tuesday, of course.
Artemis
I think you're probably right, Shade.

But someone with that kind of track record might be an interesting appointment, similar to Danny Cowley?
RubyRedRobin
Shade wrote:Maybe one just saw the other follow him and decided to as well? Also he seems very interested in Brentford due to Ollie Watkins and we play them on Tuesday, of course.
I believe he was a coach at exeter according to the article that artemis linked, so there’s the Ollie Watkins link in all likelihood.