Cotterill bookies favourite

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

joes dad
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Bookies doing their bit to wind up Robin.

Duff and Milton the stand out favourites: https://www.britainrunsonrail.co.uk/fares" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

B. Victor offering 20/1 on Carsley and Bowyer now.
Ha Ha..Is that a train ticket for Robin?
Robin
Haha it's great news.
Ihearye
Guess it is not worth observing that it was two 'experienced' managers that screwed us over big time ?
kiaora84
Milton is the players choice...apparently
asl
kiaora84 wrote:Milton is the players choice...apparently
I'm frankly astonished that none of them have stood up and publicly announced: "I hope to God that Russ doesn't get the job. I mean, he's a nice guy, and all that..."
kiaora84
asl wrote:
kiaora84 wrote:Milton is the players choice...apparently
I'm frankly astonished that none of them have stood up and publicly announced: "I hope to God that Russ doesn't get the job. I mean, he's a nice guy, and all that..."
I am not talking about what’s been said in the press. Something that I have heard elsewhere, hence why I added apparently....
Robin
Keith Downing and Graham Allner were both popular with the players too. I've also heard somethings which suggest we definitely don't want to give it to Milton.
Del Boy
Robin wrote:Keith Downing and Graham Allner were both popular with the players too. I've also heard somethings which suggest we definitely don't want to give it to Milton.
Are those echoes of your mind??
Ihearye
This thread / forum is beginning to resemble Loose Women !!!
Robin
Del Boy wrote:
Robin wrote:Keith Downing and Graham Allner were both popular with the players too. I've also heard somethings which suggest we definitely don't want to give it to Milton.
It's OK Del you got your wish and now the club is a mess, but it's all rosey in your mind isn't it? There is a clear transfer strategy, coaching staff are all united and clear harmony amongst the players right of course.

We won at Cambridge that huge powerhouse and did it convincingly and we also only lost 1-0 at Brentford, we must have played well in both of those games two because they are respectable results.
Ihearye
Respecting both sides of the debate. However, do we know if these were always targets, or have they come to light in the last few days? Personally don't know and tbh not too worried unless they prove not to be better than what we already had
Robin
My understanding is some were looked at by GJ but largely players brought in by the present "committee".
Ihearye
sounds very Stalinesque :)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:sounds very Stalinesque :)
Wouldn’t put it past the Club to make a typo online and advertise matchday Pogroms for sale.
paperboy
...latest betting.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/fo ... nt-manager" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Three horse race, with Russ still a decent bet at 2/1 as it's clearly his to lose.

Anything but a diabolical result tomorrow and he will be crowned next week.
Del Boy
Robin wrote:
Del Boy wrote:
It's OK Del you got your wish and now the club is a mess, but it's all rosey in your mind isn't it? There is a clear transfer strategy, coaching staff are all united and clear harmony amongst the players right of course.

We won at Cambridge that huge powerhouse and did it convincingly and we also only lost 1-0 at Brentford, we must have played well in both of those games two because they are respectable results.
I apologise for my facetious remark. If there is any evidence there is no transfer strategy, disharmony among coaches and players and performances were worse than before Johnson left then it could potentially be called an 'absolute mess'. I just don't see it.

Perhaps you could expand on these issues you have hinted you know different.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Russ odds drift after last nights disgrace. Duff now odds on and clear favourite in betting market.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/fo ... nt-manager" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Si Robin
I'm warming to the idea of Michael Duff.

I don't think he generally fits into the old boy's club as such, he's been away for 14 years or so now, and his development under Sean Dyche (arguably the best English manager at the moment) has been quite impressive.

He's also played at the very top level which will earn him more respect at face value.
MittonRobin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Russ odds drift after last nights disgrace. Duff now odds on and clear favourite in betting market.

Please not Duff. For god sake this club needs to bloody wake up! forget the " I played for the club 30 years ago " c!#p and get someone in who can bloody sort this mess out! its Serious now
Si Robin
That person might not necessarily be available.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:That person might not necessarily be available.
Nor willing and able on the terms we offer.

The limiting factor I believe is not the capacity of the Board to appoint, but the limited range of candidates who want the job.

In the last five years we have finished in the lower reaches of L2 in four of them and the other in non-league, all in front of 2,500 fans.

What experienced league manager with promotion on the CV will be interested in that?

This is the reality and I fear that many on this will be disappointed.
SOFT MACHINE
Sadly, Regency is quite correct. Some-one whose reputation is already established at the higher reaches of our league or, indeed, the one above would not have the tools here at present to achieve anything positive at all in the short to medium term. Therefore a candidate like Gill or Nicholson with acknowledged coaching skills and has garnered a degree of respect in the lower leagues may well be the best fit at this time. We also need to use this opportunity to completely refresh the "back-room" staff. The time has long since passed when Bookie or Milton would have been considered to have made valuable contributions to team selection, training and management and Downes has really only increased the negative thread of that "support" team.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Curle now third fave on the betting markets at 6/1
Nesty
candidates must show a skill set that includes silk purse manufacturing from some moth eaten sows ears
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:candidates must show a skill set that includes silk purse manufacturing from some moth eaten sows ears
And also for getting the best out of our strongest most balanced squad for several years.
I-Love-CTFC
Curle's odds have been shortening all day. Now 5/1.
heedrobin
Just been Googling now and tried the oddschecker link above - all those pages are now taken down suddenly - meaning only one thing?! But who? :o
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
heedrobin wrote:Just been Googling now and tried the oddschecker link above - all those pages are now taken down suddenly - meaning only one thing?! But who? :o
Yup, Sky Bet say “this event is no longer available”.

Decision has been made.
Benctfc
If I had to guess I would predict either Duff or Curle depending on if they go for the experienced choice or the younger manager. Personally I would like to see Duff given a chance rather than a journeyman manager who has had multiple chances.
little mo
Nothing from JP all day. Has he been in the adjoining room with his ear to the wall?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
little mo wrote:Nothing from JP all day. Has he been in the adjoining room with his ear to the wall?
JP not been told?

JP been told but not allowed to report?

Curle has got it and JP trying to get over his ‘must be a former CTFC player line’?

Russ has got it and JP, as a cheerleader the last ten days, is now trying to come to terms with backing the man who has seen us ship seven goals in two games.

I suspect one of the first two.
heedrobin
Benctfc wrote:If I had to guess I would predict either Duff or Curle depending on if they go for the experienced choice or the younger manager. Personally I would like to see Duff given a chance rather than a journeyman manager who has had multiple chances.
Same here - we've just done the "journeyman" thing with GJ... I want someone fresh like McCann, Duff or Gill.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
heedrobin wrote:
Benctfc wrote:If I had to guess I would predict either Duff or Curle depending on if they go for the experienced choice or the younger manager. Personally I would like to see Duff given a chance rather than a journeyman manager who has had multiple chances.
Same here - we've just done the "journeyman" thing with GJ... I want someone fresh like McCann, Duff or Gill.
Needless to mention; Gill for me.
RichardMoss
SOFT MACHINE wrote:Sadly, Regency is quite correct. Some-one whose reputation is already established at the higher reaches of our league or, indeed, the one above would not have the tools here at present to achieve anything positive at all in the short to medium term. Therefore a candidate like Gill or Nicholson with acknowledged coaching skills and has garnered a degree of respect in the lower leagues may well be the best fit at this time. We also need to use this opportunity to completely refresh the "back-room" staff. The time has long since passed when Bookie or Milton would have been considered to have made valuable contributions to team selection, training and management and Downes has really only increased the negative thread of that "support" team.
Agree with most of this, however I don’t see any reason why Bookie needs to go, flinders has been one of our best players this season and from what I’ve heard Lovett kept the score at 4 yesterday by making some big saves. Bookie is obviously doing something right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ihearye
While walking the dogs this morning gave this all some more thought. If the next manager had been grounded in L2 made his way up as a player to the highesst standard and been retained by a premiership team as part of their coaching staff. I would probably be happy to get him onbaord with fresh ideas etc. I shouldn't let the fact he is one of our own, see this as a negative move.
As for Bokkie, no evidence he has turned flinderrs into a better keeper. He didn't have much impact with the previois one