Register    Login    Search    FAQ



CTFC.com Official Site Cheltenham Town FC 500 Club

Other Useful Links:     Leo's Blog    Robins Trust    CTFC Chatter    Football Ground Guide    This is Gloucestershire    News Now    CTFC History Site

Board index » THE NEST » CTFC CHAT ONLY




 Page 2 of 5 [ 174 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next



Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 12:42 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 05 Jan 2018, 09:08
Posts: 602
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
All we need is someone who knows how to get the best out of the players we have. GJ has shown an inability to do that over the years in L2. The fact that PJ is to remain, would have you believe that bye and large, the board are content with this year's recruitment. Watching GJ on the touchline over the end of last season and the start of this. The fire seems to have gone out. Who knows why, but he didn't look as if he was enjoying it.


Top  Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 12:46 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 14:02
Posts: 9986
Location: Cheltenhamshire
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
He hasn't been as animated in the dugout since his heart bypass and illness. Maybe an attempt to try and remain calmer during matches.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 12:58 
Offline

Joined: 28 Dec 2009, 21:36
Posts: 1820
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
I think we had someone like that in charge at kick off on Tuesday.

Now we're scrabbling around to find someone equally as experienced. In my view, unlikely we will - at least not someone who also bring deep respect within the game, has a contact list as long as you're arm and cares deeply about and understands our football club

The more I think about this, the more this is like the whole brexit debacle. Didn't like what we had, only to find that finding something else as good isn't quite as easy as made out.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 13:08 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 12:19
Posts: 12535
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
MittonRobin wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:
Why Gill? He seems one of the least qualified.


Up and coming, doing a good job down the road, realistic option, actual managerial experience.


If either Milton or Gill get this job full time. You will see my season Ticket thrown on the pitch from the Car park the same day.


I've got to be honest I will feel the same especially Milton it would be a massive mistake. I see no reason to appoint Gill other than he used to play for us, he no record of success and has never managed professionally it would simply be a huge gamble. Compare that to someone like Gary Bowyer who got Blackpool promoted and there is no case to answer.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 13:18 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 19482
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
And no reason to appoint Carsley other than being a mate of the Chairman?

On Gill though, I take the point that he is one of many non-league managers doing a good job. Just happens to be one we all know. Hopefully some of the others will apply.

I would rather a manager who is currently employed who applies viewing it is a step up or promotion, rather than one who is out of work.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 13:27 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 12:19
Posts: 12535
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Genuine question but can managers under contract apply or would we not have to approach their clubs first much as we do a player?


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 13:48 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 19482
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Robin wrote:
Genuine question but can managers under contract apply or would we not have to approach their clubs first much as we do a player?


I assume they can apply but I may be wrong. Good question though.

Also, good case put forward for Carsley in the other thread Robin. The most exciting of the out of work/not currently a manager options for sure.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 13:50 
Offline

Joined: 04 Aug 2011, 12:02
Posts: 2793
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Rule 1 as Chairman---------don't appoint a mate as Manager .
Rule 2 When Robin chucks his ticket away impose a fine for flytipping.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 14:02 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011, 10:17
Posts: 5300
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
If either Milton or Gill get this job full time. You will see my season Ticket thrown on the pitch from the Car park the same day.[/quote]



Dont nail it to the tree in Whaddon Road or someone might pinch the nail


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 14:24 
Offline

Joined: 09 Jul 2011, 16:55
Posts: 1490
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Jerry Gill now into 2/1.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 14:27 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 12:20
Posts: 1008
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Might be a bit soon for Jerry Gill but I wouldn't be unhappy at his appointment.

He was a good professional and a strong influence on the squad under Ward and it seems that his Bath team play attractive football, we could certainly do a lot worse with the likes of Curle, Slade et al being mentioned.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 14:32 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 12:19
Posts: 12535
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
I-Love-CTFC wrote:
Jerry Gill now into 2/1.


I really hope the bookies are wrong, feels like a big mistep if we appoint Gill.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 14:36 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 20:35
Posts: 434
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
If he can put out a Team of Jerry Gill’s, I will be happy.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 14:51 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 14:02
Posts: 9986
Location: Cheltenhamshire
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
I would be unhappy with Bowyer or Carsley, to be honest. Neither have shown any reason to me as to why they should be CTFC manager.

As for employed managers going for an interview, I would have thought it would be like any job in that they will go for the interview and if they are successful they'll either hand in notice to their chairman or, in this case, the club would have to work out compensation for him to leave immediately. Depending on how well the manager gets on with the chairman, he may or may not tell him he is going in for another job.

I don't think a manager applying for another job and going for an interview that is widely known as available is the same as tapping up a player or manager. Isn't that what happened with John Ward going to Carlisle?


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 14:52 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 19482
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Lord Elpuz wrote:
If he can put out a Team of Jerry Gill’s, I will be happy.


Time to update the chant: ‘The manager is Jerry Gill, and the coach is Jerry Gill, physio is Jerry Gill, and the kit man Jerry Gill....we all dream of a staff of Jerry Gills, a staff of Jerry Gills, a staff of Jerry Gills.’


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 15:01 
Offline

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 11:29
Posts: 3070
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Shade wrote:
I would be unhappy with Bowyer or Carsley, to be honest. Neither have shown any reason to me as to why they should be CTFC manager.

As for employed managers going for an interview, I would have thought it would be like any job in that they will go for the interview and if they are successful they'll either hand in notice to their chairman or, in this case, the club would have to work out compensation for him to leave immediately. Depending on how well the manager gets on with the chairman, he may or may not tell him he is going in for another job.

I don't think a manager applying for another job and going for an interview that is widely known as available is the same as tapping up a player or manager. Isn't that what happened with John Ward going to Carlisle?


I agree with you on Lee Carsley, but Gary Bowyer has a successful record of managing in this division. The fact he managed such a basket case club in Blackpool makes their promotion an even bigger achievement.

I do think Carsley was only mentioned because he was a guest of the chairman last week so people have put 2 and 2 together.

According to a tweet from Alistair Durden (Points West) this morning, he's spoken to AW and we've had a number of applications already and the club are going to take their time on an appointment.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 15:03 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 14:02
Posts: 9986
Location: Cheltenhamshire
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Si Robin wrote:
Shade wrote:
I would be unhappy with Bowyer or Carsley, to be honest. Neither have shown any reason to me as to why they should be CTFC manager.

As for employed managers going for an interview, I would have thought it would be like any job in that they will go for the interview and if they are successful they'll either hand in notice to their chairman or, in this case, the club would have to work out compensation for him to leave immediately. Depending on how well the manager gets on with the chairman, he may or may not tell him he is going in for another job.

I don't think a manager applying for another job and going for an interview that is widely known as available is the same as tapping up a player or manager. Isn't that what happened with John Ward going to Carlisle?


I agree with you on Lee Carsley, but Gary Bowyer has a successful record of managing in this division. The fact he managed such a basket case club in Blackpool makes their promotion an even bigger achievement.

I do think Carsley was only mentioned because he was a guest of the chairman last week so people have put 2 and 2 together.

According to a tweet from Alistair Durden (Points West) this morning, he's spoken to AW and we've had a number of applications already and the club are going to take their time on an appointment.


I wouldn't actually be unhappy with Bowyer as such, but if he did leave Blackpool for personal or family reasons I'd question why he'd be pitching up here a month later. If he left because of Blackpool's off-field antics as I have seen then I'd have no problem.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 15:43 
Offline

Joined: 04 Aug 2011, 12:02
Posts: 2793
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
What is wrong with Jerry Gill Robin? Gary Johnson started at Newmarket Town. A good grounding counts for a lot.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 15:49 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 12:19
Posts: 12535
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
I've already stated numerous times why I wouldn't want Gill and yet to see any solid reason why he's even being linked other than he used to play for us.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 16:12 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 20:35
Posts: 434
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Lord Elpuz wrote:
If he can put out a Team of Jerry Gill’s, I will be happy.


Time to update the chant: ‘The manager is Jerry Gill, and the coach is Jerry Gill, physio is Jerry Gill, and the kit man Jerry Gill....we all dream of a staff of Jerry Gills, a staff of Jerry Gills, a staff of Jerry Gills.’


:lol: :lol: :lol:

That would take smoke and mirrors to achieve. But without the smoke.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 16:47 
Offline

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 10:11
Posts: 1430
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
horlickfanclub wrote:
Rule 1 as Chairman---------don't appoint a mate as Manager .
Rule 2 When Robin chucks his ticket away impose a fine for flytipping.

Paul Baker was friendly with Steve Cotterill,that seemed to work o.k.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 16:51 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 14:02
Posts: 9986
Location: Cheltenhamshire
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Robin wrote:
I've already stated numerous times why I wouldn't want Gill and yet to see any solid reason why he's even being linked other than he used to play for us.


He's doing a good job at Bath and he knows what the club is about. That is a solid reason. Certainly more solid of a reason than there is for employing someone like Slade or Curle. I feel like you just want a name for having a name's sake, the same as you want a proven experienced striker, even though Mo Eisa came in and was a huge success last season. Personally, I'd rather have someone that's hungry to make the step up, as many coaches have done in the past with little experience of management.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 16:53 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 14:02
Posts: 9986
Location: Cheltenhamshire
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
everyman wrote:
horlickfanclub wrote:
Rule 1 as Chairman---------don't appoint a mate as Manager .
Rule 2 When Robin chucks his ticket away impose a fine for flytipping.

Paul Baker was friendly with Steve Cotterill,that seemed to work o.k.

Was he good mates with Cotterill when he employed him?


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 17:06 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 12:19
Posts: 12535
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Shade wrote:
Robin wrote:
I've already stated numerous times why I wouldn't want Gill and yet to see any solid reason why he's even being linked other than he used to play for us.


He's doing a good job at Bath and he knows what the club is about. That is a solid reason. Certainly more solid of a reason than there is for employing someone like Slade or Curle. I feel like you just want a name for having a name's sake, the same as you want a proven experienced striker, even though Mo Eisa came in and was a huge success last season. Personally, I'd rather have someone that's hungry to make the step up, as many coaches have done in the past with little experience of management.


You couldn't be further from the truth I wouldn't want Slade here in a million years. I want someone with a proven record of success as this lessens the gamble which is what you are overlooking. Every signing and appointment is a gamble but you can reduce the risks by seeking out experience.

I also want someone with good contacts in the game and someone whom I hope can lead us back to league one.


You say Gill is doing a good job so please explain how, what exactly has he done to show he deserves the job? Your other argument seems to be that "he knows the club" which carries little qualification in my opinion, in fact quite the opposite I'd prefer a fresh start to some degree with Milton also being moved out although I'm happy for Downes and Book to stay.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 17:29 
Offline

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 10:37
Posts: 4349
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Shade wrote:
Was he good mates with Cotterill when he employed him?


PB wasn't chairman when SC was appointed manager - let alone when he was first employed as a player.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 17:51 
Offline

Joined: 28 Dec 2009, 21:36
Posts: 1820
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Robin wrote:
Shade wrote:
Robin wrote:
I've already stated numerous times why I wouldn't want Gill and yet to see any solid reason why he's even being linked other than he used to play for us.


He's doing a good job at Bath and he knows what the club is about. That is a solid reason. Certainly more solid of a reason than there is for employing someone like Slade or Curle. I feel like you just want a name for having a name's sake, the same as you want a proven experienced striker, even though Mo Eisa came in and was a huge success last season. Personally, I'd rather have someone that's hungry to make the step up, as many coaches have done in the past with little experience of management.


You couldn't be further from the truth I wouldn't want Slade here in a million years. I want someone with a proven record of success as this lessens the gamble which is what you are overlooking. Every signing and appointment is a gamble but you can reduce the risks by seeking out experience.

I also want someone with good contacts in the game and someone whom I hope can lead us back to league one.


You say Gill is doing a good job so please explain how, what exactly has he done to show he deserves the job? Your other argument seems to be that "he knows the club" which carries little qualification in my opinion, in fact quite the opposite I'd prefer a fresh start to some degree with Milton also being moved out although I'm happy for Downes and Book to stay.


Shall we concentrate on staying League 2 for now, eh?
And I don't care whether that's with hoof-ball and a series of 1-0 wins from the dullest team in the division. The almost incessant demands from a minority of fans spoiled with success, to 'kick-on', play beautiful flowery football and sign marquee players is what in my view got us in this mess and prompted the board's hasty decision on Gary Johnson.

So I don't care if Jerry Gill's or anyone else's team plays decent football or have had 'success' in this division. Question is, can whoever is appointed keep us in League 2. That's all I want.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 17:53 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 12:19
Posts: 12535
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Andy Wilcox says he knows who he wants and we've had 3-4 applicants which he is pleased with.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 17:54 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 12:19
Posts: 12535
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
I'm not happy with staying in league 2 that should be a given, top half finish still realistic if we get a decent manager and strikers.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 18:10 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 19482
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Robin wrote:
Shade wrote:
Robin wrote:
I've already stated numerous times why I wouldn't want Gill and yet to see any solid reason why he's even being linked other than he used to play for us.


He's doing a good job at Bath and he knows what the club is about. That is a solid reason. Certainly more solid of a reason than there is for employing someone like Slade or Curle. I feel like you just want a name for having a name's sake, the same as you want a proven experienced striker, even though Mo Eisa came in and was a huge success last season. Personally, I'd rather have someone that's hungry to make the step up, as many coaches have done in the past with little experience of management.


You couldn't be further from the truth I wouldn't want Slade here in a million years. I want someone with a proven record of success as this lessens the gamble which is what you are overlooking. Every signing and appointment is a gamble but you can reduce the risks by seeking out experience.

I also want someone with good contacts in the game and someone whom I hope can lead us back to league one.


You say Gill is doing a good job so please explain how, what exactly has he done to show he deserves the job? Your other argument seems to be that "he knows the club" which carries little qualification in my opinion, in fact quite the opposite I'd prefer a fresh start to some degree with Milton also being moved out although I'm happy for Downes and Book to stay.


What proven record of success has Carsley got?


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 18:15 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 12:19
Posts: 12535
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
He has limited success as I said earlier but at least he's managed at Championship level and had positive results with two different teams.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 18:26 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 14:02
Posts: 9986
Location: Cheltenhamshire
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
asl wrote:
Shade wrote:
Was he good mates with Cotterill when he employed him?


PB wasn't chairman when SC was appointed manager - let alone when he was first employed as a player.


That was my point.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 18:41 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 14:02
Posts: 9986
Location: Cheltenhamshire
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Robin wrote:

You couldn't be further from the truth I wouldn't want Slade here in a million years.


You say Gill is doing a good job so please explain how, what exactly has he done to show he deserves the job? Your other argument seems to be that "he knows the club" which carries little qualification in my opinion, in fact quite the opposite I'd prefer a fresh start to some degree with Milton also being moved out although I'm happy for Downes and Book to stay.


I never said you did want Slade here. I can't imagine a single CTFC fan does.

Do I really need to explain how he's done a good job? You obviously know things so you know he's doing well there.

Yes, he knows the club, which is more qualification than Carsley has, in my opinion. Remember, until Carsley had two short spells as an interim manager, at clubs he was already at, he hadn't got any experience at that level either, yet apparently he's very good and good enough to be given the job here? Martin Allen had loads of experience, and Paul Buckle had quite a bit of experience too. Both of those didn't know the club and tried to do something they shouldn't have and screwed things up royally. Keith Downing was a great assistant, but struggled as manager, as many do. So I just don't understand how you can be so dismissive of Jerry Gill, because he chose to leave Wolves and get a management job at non-league Bath, but welcome Carsley, who has decided not to be manager, but an assistant.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 18:49 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 19482
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Robin wrote:
He has limited success as I said earlier but at least he's managed at Championship level and had positive results with two different teams.


24 games as a manager.

“Has managed some games” is a low barrier for success!

10 wins / 41.7% isn’t bad, but not much experience.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Carsley would be an exciting choice despite the dodgy ‘give it to a mate’ issue - just the way you hold Carsley up on a pedestal and dismiss Gill in such derogatory fashion seems a bit odd.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018, 07:20 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 19482
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Loads more names on here:

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/fo ... nt-manager


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Cotterill bookies favourite
 Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018, 08:06 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 12:19
Posts: 12535
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Oh my god where has Russell Slade come from, he's now one of the favourites, I seriously hope he's not under consideration. Bookies see it as a five horse race between Carsley, GIll, Slade, Bowyer and Cotterill.


Top 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
 Page 2 of 5 [ 174 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next




Board index » THE NEST » CTFC CHAT ONLY


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], leohoenig and 12 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: