PB says GJ sacking "crass"

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... king-crass" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
A word that could also be used to describe boasting about profit margins and having footballer mates, some might add.

One hopes Fylde didn’t view out Chairman the way we did Peterborough’s.
Artemis
Couldn't agree more. And that clarifies PBs involvement in the decision. Shame his counsel wasn't sought. I hope it is on the successor, especially after the Buckle and Allen episodes.
Johnsons Red Army
Fully agree with Mr. Baker.
Rick
Johnsons Red Army wrote:Fully agree with Mr. Baker.
Yes i agree as well. The timing was disgraceful. As others have said he should have been replace at the end of the season. It's a bloody shambles :oops:
Lord Elpuz
This situation would not have occurred if Mr Paul Baker was still at the helm. His departure was a major turning point for this Club. Not necessarily good, either.

We watch the next actions of the Board with a great deal of interest and a certain amount of anxiety. The Clubs future depends on them getting it right. Experienced heads are needed in a crisis. Where are they?

Will it be a case of knee jerk fans having fed a knee jerk Board?
Sprout Picker
Johnsons Red Army wrote:Fully agree with Mr. Baker.
Likewise.
itsallbollox
Worst thing to ever happen to our club was Paul Baker stepping down, I believe we wouldn't be in this situation now if Mr Baker was still at the helm. He would have made sure we got the players in and always backed his managers. I'm gutted Gary's gone, some people need to take a long look at themselves for there behaviour and comments.
Ihearye
Oh please, a bit less of the emperors new clothes. Am a great admirer of what PB has done for CTFC and as a decent human being. But let's not forget on whose watch we ended up with Allen and Buckle! Maybe a bit less romaticisim is what we need now. Only one thing matters right now. Staying in L2. The board shall sink or swim by that
Nesty
I find it very "crass" of Mr Baker to publicly criticise his successor.
Benctfc
More like if Baker did the right thing and moved GJ on last season we wouldn't be in this situation! I have great admiration for PB and what he has done for our club but what does coming out with these comments achieve? Baker's loyalty towards his managers was probably his biggest weakness.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:A word that could also be used to describe boasting about profit margins and having footballer mates, some might add.

RCS, who were welcoming AW a few days ago, praising him as th kind of business man we needed. Now what?? This is a business not a gentleman's club. As much as you may want it to be
Si Robin
Benctfc wrote:More like if Baker did the right thing and moved GJ on last season we wouldn't be in this situation! I have great admiration for PB and what he has done for our club but what does coming out with these comments achieve? Baker's loyalty towards his managers was probably his biggest weakness.
I said the exact same thing on Twitter Ben.

Let's not forget that this is a man who felt that Bobby Gould was hounded out of the club and admitted he wouldn't have let him go had he not resigned.

PB was, in my view, the biggest reason why we are a Football League club, but he wasn't without his foibles.
Red Duke
Nesty wrote:I find it very "crass" of Mr Baker to publicly criticise his successor.
I agree. He is no longer involved in the day to day running of the club and won't know the full facts behind the decision making.
arobinsfan
Ihearye wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:A word that could also be used to describe boasting about profit margins and having footballer mates, some might add.

RCS, who were welcoming AW a few days ago, praising him as th kind of business man we needed. Now what?? This is a business not a gentleman's club. As much as you may want it to be
RCS runs with the fox and the hound, or as someone else put it, "checks which way the winds blowing before making comment"
everyman
Nesty wrote:I find it very "crass" of Mr Baker to publicly criticise his successor.
The tail can`t wag the dog now !
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
arobinsfan wrote:
Ihearye wrote:

RCS runs with the fox and the hound, or as someone else put it, "checks which way the winds blowing before making comment"
I simply judged Andy W by his words, and now by his actions. The statement I praised outlined the plan and vision, and the need for Gary to improve results and the striking options.

So what am I to make two days later when results are improved and reports of strikers being close to signing have been published but a late night sacking still occurs? Either that the words were hollow, or the Board have not had the conviction to stand by their words. Neither trait is one I support!
Artemis
Red Duke wrote:
I agree. He is no longer involved in the day to day running of the club and won't know the full facts behind the decision making.
Like the rest of us then. But that doesn't stop us commenting / voicing an opinion.

He is of course a major shareholder as well as former chairman so it's only right that the media publicise his views.
Horteng
Agree with PB.

I think our new chairman has been watching too much plastic PL football and the power has gone to his head hence the firing

Hope he has a plan up his sleeve and that’s should not be Lee Carsley IMO

Also as other have eluded too him publicly stating his business was very profitable either shows naivety or big headedness...... I’m not sure which
Robin
Hold on Horteng were you not one calling for GJ to be sacked?!
little mo
Whilst I don't have a problem with changing the manager. What I do find a bit distasteful was sacking him at Macclesfield knowing he would be travelling back on the team coach with the players and staff. That must have been a very uncomfortable journey for him. Surely he deserved better than that. Could it not have waited until the next morning?
Rulistening
I've made it very clear on here i wanted Johnson to go. So in that regards I am happy

HOWEVER- he will go down as a hero for what he did for us getting us out of the conference, steadied what can only be described as the titanic when he came in. It's almost sad it got to the point where a hero became the villain. I hope he enjoys his rest/retirement (not sure if he will go back into management or bow out) as he certainly deserves it!

But we handled this so poorly, as others have mentioned i think its silly making him manage tuesday if so many already had it ingrained in their minds he was getting the boot. Waste of his time and ours honestly.

On topic now though with the thread! I don't agree with PB doing this interview, what does he gain apart from putting a negative view of our board into the public eye. Just because you aren't the chairman anymore doesn't mean you can now go throw them all under the bus!! after all, it should've been his choice to ask/make gary step down at the end of the last season which would've been the right time for everyone, but he didn't want to go sack his pal and now decides to throw shots.

Poor from just about everyone!
Robin
little mo wrote:Whilst I don't have a problem with changing the manager. What I do find a bit distasteful was sacking him at Macclesfield knowing he would be travelling back on the team coach with the players and staff. That must have been a very uncomfortable journey for him. Surely he deserved better than that. Could it not have waited until the next morning?
He must have known it was coming given that the entire BOD travelled to a mid-week away fixture. As I mentioned earlier I left expecting to see a statement in the morning so fully agree with you Mo it's been terribly handled.
CTFC03
Timing was poor I agree, it should have been done on Saturday, either way I'm relieved he's gone now he was getting worse and still some people cannot see it even now but he's gone, we move on and hopefully line up an experienced manager (who has been there and done it) or we cherry pick one of the best coming through from the National League (Garrard from Boreham Wood for example).
Si Robin
It does look like a poor attempt (or successful one if you like) for PB to get his face out there.

The fact that Points West have run an interview with him tonight rather than with the current chairman seems crass to me.
I-Love-CTFC
Maybe if the current chairman came out and did an interview they wouldn't be giving Baker the airtime. Nobody else from the club wanted to comment.
Ladyrobin
I agree. I have already commented on another thread that the timing etc., was dreadful.
But in all my years of business management, I have never heard a member of a board speak about the current Chairman in such a manner, and so publicly. If a Board makes a majority decision, it is the responsibility of all members to support the decision. Poor practice, Mr Baker.
Si Robin
I don't think Paul Baker is a board member anymore, he's the largest shareholder in the club though.
Ladyrobin
Still think it poor form for an ex Chairman to criticise a new Chair so openly. The new Chair, whether or not he has made mistakes, needs support.
Robin
Si Robin wrote:I don't think Paul Baker is a board member anymore, he's the largest shareholder in the club though.
He's not the largest shareholder Simon Keswick is.
Red Duke
Si Robin wrote:I don't think Paul Baker is a board member anymore, he's the largest shareholder in the club though.
Yes and No.
Si Robin
Apologies, he's certainly one of the highest then - I'm sure someone put on here a while ago the share percentages, etc...
Johnsons Red Army
https://document-api-images-prod.s3.eu- ... 19c00192ab" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest on Companies House.
Alf
How long would Paul Baker have given him then? It’s all very well distancing himself from the decision and calling it ‘crass’ but I don’t see any evidence of an alternative solution. Would he have given him another season, another half season, another week? As has been pointed out by many posters on here, it’s not a decision just based on this season’s games. I agree that the second half was an improvement but last season there were moments of hope that we had turned the corner only to have hopes dashed the following week. I like Gary and really wish that he could have built on the success of the National League title but it just wasn’t happening.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:How long would Paul Baker have given him then? It’s all very well distancing himself from the decision and calling it ‘crass’ but I don’t see any evidence of an alternative solution. Would he have given him another season, another half season, another week? As has been pointed out by many posters on here, it’s not a decision just based on this season’s games. I agree that the second half was an improvement but last season there were moments of hope that we had turned the corner only to have hopes dashed the following week. I like Gary and really wish that he could have built on the success of the National League title but it just wasn’t happening.
He might have given him time to deliver the requirements set out in the Board statement on Saturday.